Packing list suggestions?

alligood2000

Earning My Ears
Please excuse the (very likely) repeat of a question. :) I can't figure out how to search....

First time cruisers here, and the packing list on the DCL site is, um, not helpful. LOL!

I want specifics, people!!!

How many bathing suits did you need?

How many outfits?

How formal is formal night?

Do I need to bring big beach towels or anything?

Is it better to pack light or bring everything we could ever imagine needing?

etc....

Just tell me ANYTHING that was helpful that you packed, and EVERYTHING that you wished you had brought.

But, keep in mind, I have six children and tend to be a pretty light packer. Five of them are boys and their t-shirts and underwear just don't take up that much space. I always have the mantra that if I forget or need anything, I can just buy it. But, on a cruise ship, that's a bit trickier! I need to be prepared.

-Allison

Please excuse the (very likely) repeat of a question. :) I can't figure out how to search....

First time cruisers here, and the packing list on the DCL site is, um, not helpful. LOL!

I want specifics, people!!!

How many bathing suits did you need? I take 2 .. one to wear, one to wash/dry

How many outfits? Mix and Match is the best way. I tend to take a mixture that can be worn both during the day and evening. So tops that match with shorts and posher trousers ... 3/4 lengths that can go with flipflops or heels/sandals. Micro wardrobe I think they call it!

How formal is formal night? As much or as little as YOU want. Don't stress about it. Some people wear tux's and cocktail dresses, others wear normal clothes .. chino's, summer dresses, 3/4 lengths.

Do I need to bring big beach towels or anything? No towels needed. All provided.

Is it better to pack light or bring everything we could ever imagine needing?

etc....

Just tell me ANYTHING that was helpful that you packed, and EVERYTHING that you wished you had brought.

But, keep in mind, I have six children and tend to be a pretty light packer. Five of them are boys and their t-shirts and underwear just don't take up that much space. I always have the mantra that if I forget or need anything, I can just buy it. But, on a cruise ship, that's a bit trickier! I need to be prepared.

-Allison

There are washing machine and dryers on the ship, so if the worst happens and you run out of clothes, you can always wash some. :laundy:

With there being so many of you, I would probably bring along an over the door shoe hanger. Alot of people find these useful to put the bathroom stuff in as space is limited of course.
Others with children will have a much better idea of what to bring for them, so hang around and someone will be along to help.

It may be quite useful (and cheaper) to bring some goggles and/or snorkels if you're going to Castaway Cay on your cruise ... to hire them for all of your children will be a fair bit, so take your own cheap ones if you have space and throw them away when finished.

I'm so glad! And you're welcome...have fun on your trip!

i just wanted to add to the list a small sewing kit such as neddle and thread buttons ans striaghte pins. also a travel firts aide kit. many commpaies made them but the one i like is made my johnston and johnston. it's all packaged in a light blue traving case. it has alot for such a small case. the only thing i would add is antiboic cream and small gause pads and tape. I'm not sure but wallmart has them for $5.00. I was glad when i took it to wdw one year my dbf got bulisters and the band aides really helped.:thumbsup2

Well --

12-day cruise [not DCL]. Mix n match wardrobe.
Wear:
Travel pants
Tunic
Bra
Undies
Socks
Tennis shoes
Windbreaker
Casual watch
Hat

Pack:
Carry
Cruise Tickets
Passports
Medical insurance cards and medical history
Contact Numbers

Wallet
Cash
Perscription Meds
Cell Phone/Charger
Computer/Accessories
Small flashlight
Swiss Army knife or something similar

Personal/Sundries
Neck lanyard for ID
Extension Cord
Febreze
Night light
Reading material
Sewing kit
Small first aid kit
Travel-sized laundry soap
Laundry bag
Clothes Pins

Toiletries
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Deodorant
Moisturizer and freshener
Baby powder
Bug n Sun
Comb/brush
Chapstick

Clothing
Bras 4 [at least 2 t-shirt bras]
Camisole/slip 2
Cardigan/Hoodie 2
Evening outfit 1
Jeans 2
Pants 3
Skirt 2
Dressy shirts 4
Tunics 4
T Shirts 6
Swim suit & cover-up 1
PJs 3
Undies 12
Socks 12
Walking shoes 1
Dressy Shoes 1
Jewelry

Especially for kiddos...pack each days outfit in a large zip lock galllon size bag for each kid! Write the names on them. I realize for you, that's a lot of bags, but it really helped save a ton of time and messes from scattered clothes with my kids. Of course, formal wear gets hung up, and u can get those space saving hangers at the dollar store now.
If your in an inside cabin, bring a night light!
If you have a ton of hair, like me, bring your own hair dryer as IMHO, the ones in the cabin bathroom just don't have enough OOMPH!
A magnetic dry erase pad w/ pen is great for outside on your door to leave messages for friends and family.
I agree, the over the door shoe holder is a must!

Have fun!!!!:thumbsup2

I dont have boys, but I do have girls and they dont like to sit around in damp swimsuits...must be a sensory thing. So I packed 4 suits each as it seemed we were in and out of pools/ocean a lot. All suits were used several times each.

I also focused on light breezy sundresses as my main cruise wear. I could dress it up the night before at dinner then use it again for a swimsuit cover another day. Did the same with my girls. I brought shorts but only wore them once. I also brought pants and jeans...big waste of space. It weather in the Caribbean was too nice and I never even unpacked them.

There are no fashion police around, so my hubby only took 1 pr nice pants and a couple of nice shirts and that sufficed for all dinners. The remainder of the time was shorts and t-****rs/polos for him. He was able to only take 2 swim suits. Guess boy suits dry faster than girl suits:confused3

Everyone raves about shoe holders, but ours never got used on the dream. Perhaps the classic ships have less storage... I don't know. We did bring a clothes hamper (the type that folds flat) to keep dirty clothes separated. But if you use the ziploc system you wouldnt need one.

We made lanyards as a family which was helpful for keeping track of key to the world cards tickets/vouchers etc. Used bead chain (think dog tags) in gold/bronze colors so they could look a bit dressy if needed.

SUN SCREEN...we went through 3 cans in 5 days.

We brought an extra suitcase for souviners and FE gifts. I laughed at the time, but it was nice to have the extra space on the flight home. kept our bags under the weight limit.

We also took a night light for the bathroom as staterooms are very dark!

People say lay out what you think you will need then take away 1/2. They were right. I over packed that first cruise, but I wont next time! Enjoy your cruise! And if you forget something, the shops on board have just about everything you could possibly imagine.

we wer swim suits on the ships {guys whit a shirt }girls wer cover ups
four a 4 night cruise i packed at least 4 or 5 a person thank-tops t-shirts
my son wer lots of swim suits becas ween we went by the pool he wold jest get on in

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter