Packing list for OKW

mickeyfanz

Mouseketeer
My family will be staying in a 2-bedroom at OKW in May. I was wondering if anyone has come up with a list of things you need to take there (like detergents, paper towels, etc.). I know they supply you with *some* things as a starter but wondering what we should bring larger sizes of.

We plan to eat breakfast and most lunches in our room. We also plan to do some mid-week laundry.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Here's a listing of items and helpful hints that fellow WDW Travelers recommend you consider putting in your suitcase! As DVC members your needs may be different (whichever resort you call home), so choose the items that make sense to you.

A little bubble bath for the Jacuzzi tub (a must have for a DVC villa). Maybe even a bottle of wine and the opener!

Portable CD player and CDs -- Familiar music can help you get to sleep at night in an unfamiliar hotel room, or can just set the mood for fun, romance or relaxation. Having a CD player on hand lets you try out the cool CDs you can pick up at Walt Disney World, too! (Jennifer Watson 1/99)

Address book and stamps, so you can send out postcards to friends and family at home. Another idea -- Get a box or sheet of blank labels and address them all before you leave with whoever you will be writing home to. Once on your trip, buy postcards from various places and ask each kid to drop a few lines about their day's events. Peel off the label, stick, stamp and done. No need to look for the addresses. (Anita, 6/98). Include e-mail addresses so you can send virtual postcards from Innoventions in Epcot (Jennifer Watson 1/99). NOTE: you must have an E-mail account set up on the GO network in order to do this (www.go.com).

Notebook or pad and pens - especially if you're going to write a trip report

Bring a laptop? Don't forget your Local Access Number for ISP to check the e-mail!

Backpack or Tote Bag - to store ponchos and other items in. Another reader writes: "and we'd recommend waterproof tote bags and/or backpacks for keeping cameras, etc. out of the rain."

Bottled Water - if you're driving and can throw a case in the car it makes it that much easier to grab some water on your way out each day. You'll NEED the water in the warmer/hotter months! Or get the bottles with the belt clip to be most convenient, no need to carry the bottle in your hands.

Frozen Juice Drinks - We found that the Capri Sun juice drinks (in the little pouches) were the perfect size and just sturdy enough to haul around in the backpack. Also, (if possible) freezing bottled water the night before heading out (assuming your room has a little fridge that can be turned up to extra cold), makes them extra refreshing just as you decide you need a cold drink. D. Basham (10/98)

Rain Poncho - so you can find your group amidst all those yellow slickers!

Fanny pack for you and the kids.

Pack an Autograph book and a fat pen (so the characters can hold it).

"Wipes" - we found, having 2 young children who are out of diapers, it is still imperative to carry wipes of some sort. They get very sticky from all the junk they eat while in the parks.

Ear Plugs - My daughter (age 5) is very sensitive to loud noises. In certain attractions, we found earplugs to be a great help for her She carried them in her fanny pack and we just popped them in as needed. (Christine, 11/98)

Kleenex

Disposable Camera - especially the Underwater type if you plan to go to the Water Parks

Batteries - for still and video cameras (the camera shops in the parks can usually sell you some)

Battery operated personal fan- it has a string so that you can put it around your neck, but it is still small enough to fit in your fanny pack... These fans made us a lot more comfortable while watching the Hunchback show, the Beauty and the Beast show and while standing in line... I can't tell you how many people I overheard saying to one another, "We should have gotten one too."

Film - Higher speed (over 400 for inside shots) and Extra rolls!

Film Canisters for Snacks - Kids are always hungry, food is expensive in Disney, and who has room to carry food around. I used this great way to keep the kids happy. Most people bring a lot of film to Disney. Wouldn't want to miss an important picture! When I arrive at Disney I open up my film packages and take the film containers, the little canisters the film comes in with a lid. I wash them out real good with Soap and water, and fill them with a snack. A few pretzels, skittles or M&M's usually do the trick for that in-between meal snack!

Pager -- If you have nationwide service (or can get it inexpensively for the duration of your visit), your pager can help you keep in touch with your family at the parks. (Jennifer Watson 1/99)

Walkie Talkies - sold by Motorola are invaluable at the parks. I'd say we get at least 50% more done in a day with them because there's never any waiting, you can communicate/change plans on the fly, split up and regroup effortlessly (can be rented for the duration of your visit).

Small Flashlight - for reading maps or guide books in the dark

Cigarettes - are not available in the parks

Gum - If you like to chew it, buy it in advance; you won't find any for sale on Disney property

Hats - straw, baseball whatever...something to bounce the sun off!

Jacket for dinner at Vickies and Al's (they can provide one)

Insect repellant (very useful at Vero Beach)

Aloe - our family found it extremely useful (we used almost all of a 20 oz. bottle!) in the summer heat. (Jennifer N. Labuz, 7/98)

Antacids

Anti-bacterial lotion - This was a must before all meals when we couldn't get to water. (Dawn, Ed & Eric Pauli)

Aspirin! Or other analgesic pain reliever

Johnson and Johnson Foot Bath - Those little orange and white envelops.

Band-Aids

Q-tips

Lip Stuff - like Blistex or Chapstick - with sunscreen!

Prescription Medicines

Nail clippers and file

Contact lenses - make sure you bring *both* a spare set and your glasses.

Dental floss

Tweezers

Soap -- Bring a small bar of your favorite bath/face soap, stored in a plastic bag. If you have sensitive skin, don't assume that the soap the hotels provide will work for you. Some of the moderate hotels don't provide bar soap in the bath, either.
(Jennifer Watson 1/99)

Clothespins - for hanging wet swimsuits in the shower as well as closing up bags of snacks. Our hotel (a moderate one) had a clothesline in the shower. (Bcmagargee, 1/99)

Laundry Detergent - Rather than paying high prices for a small box of laundry detergent, bring some from home in a seal able plastic bag. Doing laundry during your trip also allows you to pack less clothing. (Jennifer Watson 1/99)

Stain Stick - the laundry pre-treating stick. Since none of us like to do laundry on vacation, just rubbing the stain with the pre-treatment will let you hold off doing laundry till you return home.

Needle & thread

Safety pins

Night Lights - 2 pack of inexpensive night-lights. No bumps and crashes in the night if you just stick these in the outlets. The kids will feel more secure if they know they'll be able to get to the bathroom quickly and easily, and you don't feel bad if you leave them behind (which I usually seem to do!). (John, 3/98)

Plastic glasses for poolside

Proof of Insurance - to show when you rent your car so you don't need that expensive CDW (collision damage waver)

Sensible shoes -- Comfy, well broken in shoes are essential. This isn't the time to try a new pair of shoes. If you must get new shoes for your trip, be sure to break them in well before you depart for Florida. (Jennifer Watson 1/99)

"Moleskin" for your blisters

Extra Socks and Sneakers - One thing my daughter and I found when we visited in August, was that we ran out of dry shoes pretty fast.

Golf glove and golf shoes

Sweatbands - if you use them, bring them - very expensive at the parks.

Sunscreen

Bathing suit

Swimming goggles - as sometimes the chlorine from the hotel pools can be pretty high. Of all the things our kids enjoyed the most, was the hotel pool.

Beach Shoes / Water shoes - those rubber-soled stretchy neon shoes, for walking to the pool, or at one of the water parks, no need to go barefoot and stub your toes.

Sunglasses - for ALL members of your traveling tribe, and don't forget those handy-dandy straps that keep the sunglasses hanging around your neck. Much more convenient than tucking the sunglasses in a pocket or fanny pack every time you enter an attraction.

Hard covered Suitcase - My wife and I found that an old hard shell suitcase filled with snacks and breakfast foods as well as drink boxes made having snacks and breakfast (Non DVD room: get a fridge in your room for milk etc.) a big money saver.

Tape - I always bring a small roll of receiving tape. It has repaired my suitcase when I arrived in Moscow with a big whole in my suitcase with stuff falling out, it has repaired flip-flops that flipped to pieces on my way to the pool, it has repaired book bindings and stuck notes on doors for me and well, you get the picture. It's a great temporary relief when you need it (Glinda).

Ziploc Bags - I always find a use for these. I fill my refillable mug on the way out each day; wash it out when I'm done and put it in the Ziploc bag till I'm back at the hotel. I can then refill it on the way to my room. Another good use is to keep film together. Ziploc bags are also useful to keep things dry at water parks and in the rain. Great for cameras, spare clothes or soiled clothes if you have little ones. You also don' t have to worry about finding a waterproof backpack. (Laura 1/99)

Coffee filter packs (Maxwell House). They are filters and coffee pre-packed. Just pop them in and voila, coffee. I would also put a timer in so the coffee is made before you rise (Glinda, 2/00).
Another option is to bring pre-measured coffee and filters from home in Ziploc bags. The coffee makers have always used the round, flat-bottom, "Mr. Coffee" style coffee filters.

A box of XClaim 3 in 1 laundry sheets. They are a laundry detergent and fabric softener in one handy sheet (Glinda, 2/00).

Toaster I bought a cheapie ($6.88 at Ames) 2 slice-bagel width toaster to take along. We're not big breakfast eaters but will toast a bagel or pop-tarts to eat. (Cheryl, 5/98)

Trash Bags - a) helps with keeping room clean, trashcans full up easily and b) dirty clothes- room stays a lot more organized. Every morning I would grab a trash bag and throw our dirty clothes into it, no risk of losing any articles.

Driving to WDW? Get a combo TV/VCR for movies during the ride down and in the hotel room.

Video Tapes - extras!

Umbrella for the sun or rain

OTHER GUEST COMMENTS:
If you're staying on-site, be sure to pick up park maps at the guest relations desk at your resort. We didn't realize until our third day that they were at the resorts, and by picking them up in advance you can plan your day around show times, etc.

Items with ** are available upon request.
Kitchen Cabinets
8 dinner plates
8 salad plates
8 cereal bowls
8 coffee mugs
1 platter
2 vegetable bowls
creamer/sugar bowl set
1 salad bowl
8 juice glasses
8 wine glasses
1 shot glass
1 pitcher
1 colander
3 piece serving set
8 piece cookware set
**cookie sheet
1 oblong 3-quart dish
1 covered casserole dish 2quart
3 piece mixing bowl set
plastic measuring cups
cutting board
wicker sugar basket
**electric mixer
coffee maker
salt & pepper shakers
wastebasket
bottle dish detergent
box dish detergent
1 pot holder
small box laundry soap

Kitchen drawers
1 solid Serving Spoon
1 serving fork
2 tablespoons
8 dinner forks
8 dinner knives
8 steak knives
8 soup spoons
8 teaspoons
1 cutlery tray
1 vegetable peeler
1 bottle opener
measuring spoons
tongs
**soup ladle
hand can opener
pancake turner
slotted spoon
corkscrew
cook's knife
paring knife
roaster slicer
sponge
whisk

Misc
toaster
dish drainer
vacuum cleaner
iron
ironing board
broom
dust pan

Paper products and dish soap and dishwasher soap will be supplied as you ask for it. Take along travel salt and peppers, any seasonings you need, like basil etc. We also take the laundry tablets because they are easier to pack. Sometimes take certain non-perishable food stuffs that we have found difficult to get in Florida. One key is to plan your possible menus ahead, so you know exactly what you are shopping for when you stop at the grocery on your way from the airport. If you don't like using paper towels for napkins, take some napkins too. OKW used to supply terry cloth ones, but those were eliminated last year.

If you're driving, you may also want to consider non-stick cookware...at least a frying pan. Maybe the other resorts have this already, but our week at VB all there was to be used were some stainless steel cooking vessels. I missed my well seasoned cast-iron and non-sticky frying pan, especially when making eggs. If you bring a non-stick, bring non-stick freindly utensils.

I'm a coffee snob, so bring your own good coffee if you need better quality coffee, and your own grinder if you buy whole beans.

Fluffy beach towels if you need something larger or just like fuzzy softness. We thought the 'pool' towels were a bit coarse.

Bubble bath/bath oil for the whirlpool is a nicety we forgot on our trip, esp. since the jets aren't nearly as powerful as we'd like. If you bring oil, it would be nice if you cleaned the tub before you left...ours had a slight residue at first. If you're not getting a whirlpool room, epsom salts or some foot bath type stuff to soak your dogs after a day of walking (and standing).

As to shoes, at least two pairs of good walking sneakers would be a good idea for the DW visits. Save the 'fashionable' shoes for dinners at your resort, not the parks.

Good socks are also a requirement. Don't bring any with cotton in them. You'll spend more on good quality, 'wicking' socks, but you'll save on comfort and moleskin in the long run. Since our first, blister filled trip, we did our research on shoes and socks, and have yet to break out the moleskin since then.

On the topic of walking, do an Internet search on walking shoes and socks. You'll learn how to be properly fitted for shoes, which socks are 'good' (we prefer thorlos, but I know some people can't fathom paying $9-12 per pair).

Hope this helps,
Joe

We always stop at the grocery store before we check in to Disney (when flying in). Save alot of $$! Must have laundry detergent, coffee and COFFEE FILTERS! Ziplock baggies, too-we used them for everything including making ice packs to keep food cold when you carry along snacks!

DVC Smiles gave you some great ideas. In the list a tv/vcr combo was suggested for driving. I might also add that you can use your laptop if it has a DVD player. We found a cigarette lighter plug so we didn't need to use the battery. We also got a splitter for the headphones port and both our girls can watch DVDs and listen all the way on the 20 hour drive. My husband even made a small wooden box with lips around the top for the laptop to fit on so it could sit high enough between the captain chairs for viewing. It worked fantastic. Our laptop has a 17" screen so it works even better than those tiny tvs they sell in vans.

Thanks for all of the tips so far. Keep them coming!

As far as the socks go, I did not realize that cotton ones were a no-no! Are the Thorlos not made of cotton?

A lot of times when we go to WDW in warmer weather, we just wear our Teva sandals so we can also ride the water rides and not get soggy shoes. They are pretty comfortable, too.

Something else someone mentioned here a while back...

Bring a few clothespins, "chip clips," or hair clips to grab together the curtains when they <i>just won't close</i> all the way. Both for privacy and for that early morning sun that gets in the way of the "sleeping in" which you can do when you're a DVC member! :)

Wouldn't ruin your trip to not have them - but I always find myself clipping them together whenever we go...

We always pack a suitcase with coffee and filters (round 4inch), tea bags, canned nuts, favorite snacks, drink mix (kool aide or crystal lite), pb and jelly, etc. We then buy bottled water, soda, wine, bread, butter, cold meat, pastries, etc at the local grocery. After a couple of days, we generally get sick of eating out and find a Peanut butter and jelly sandwich by the pool can be just right. The <empty> suitcase is always filled up with souvenirs for the trip home. Have a great trip.

Originally posted by mickeyfanz
Thanks for all of the tips so far. Keep them coming!

As far as the socks go, I did not realize that cotton ones were a no-no! Are the Thorlos not made of cotton?

A lot of times when we go to WDW in warmer weather, we just wear our Teva sandals so we can also ride the water rides and not get soggy shoes. They are pretty comfortable, too.

If you go sockless (like with sandals), then you're OK. Generally speaking though, cotton soaks up moisture, then stays wet and any cushioning they have quickly mats down. If you wear socks with sandals, most people in the states will think you're a goober. :-)

Thorlos use an acrylic yarn, like many others designed for their wicking capabilities. You can find these others at a lower cost ($3-6 per pair), but they don't have the impact cushioning that Thorlo's do.

BTW, I don't have an interest in any sock company, just find that good socks and shoes can make all of the difference.

Hope this helps,

Since you are talking about feet, you might like to pack two pairs of shoes per person. We find if we can change walking shoes each day or even in the middle of a day, our feet thank us! Since we can keep our clothes packing to a minimum because of the in room laundry, the extra suitcase room is used for shoes.

For laundry detergent, we used the round tablets instead of the powder or liquid. It's easier to pack with less potential for making a mess in your luggage. You can bring left over tablets home and use it there.

Instead of bringing food and supplies with you, I suggest a shopping trip to Publix or WalMart after you check in. Prices have been reasonable to excellent when we shopped there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter