packing light tips

~Bring ONE pair of shoes.
~Bring ONE jacket/sweater.
~Don't bring a random pile of clothes; put an outfit for each day in plus two extra. (This works for me.:))
~Stuff books in a bag instead of bringing them loose so they're not falling all over the car on the way.
~Only bring one toy/doll. (Which works for me and my sis.;))

Ah, that's all I can think of at the moment.:)

Subscribing..we leave Monday. I am packed in 3 suitcases for just my daughter and I. Trying to predict weather and what to wear each day is overwhelming.

What are your best tips for packing light for a November trip?

1) I believe myself a pro for packing (mostly) light for five people

2) Dh and I are comfortable wearing bottoms twice before we consider them "dirty". I encourage my teen to do the same, but don't do that with the two little girls as they just seem to be more dirty (and more apt to spill). If we're gone for nine days (2 days travel, 7 days vacation) we'd only bring FIVE bottoms as opposed to 9 which saves a LOT of space. My husband is very tall, so his jeans take up a LOT of space.

3) I sleep in yoga pants and the days t-shirt or camisole. Oldest dd does the same. Little girls get more pajamas packed because up until recently, we would still have nighttime accidents or diaper leaks (no more diapers for me!:cool1:) Dh doesn't wear pajamas (paranoid). He sleeps in his boxers, but I do bring pajama pants in case he need to leave the room before bed or first thing in the morning and doesn't want to dress all the way)

4) I don't overload on shoes. This is hard, but shoes are bulky and take up space. On beach trips, I bring 1 pair of tennis shoes, 1 pair of sandals and 1 pair of flip flops (those take up no space). I hate limiting my shoes. A lot, but they just take up so much space that I'm okay doing without.

5) I consider weather or not it would be inconvenient to have to do laundry. When we go to the beach, we tend to rent house that have laundry inside. I usually do a load of laundry every day (I throw it in at bedtime). That means I pack less and don't go home with a huge amount of dirty clothes. However, on our Disney trip, I won't be doing laundry at all. If you feel like you'd have a day to do a couple of loads, you can cut the amount you need to pack in half.

6) I control toiletries. I have a large toiletries bag and if it doesn't fit, it doesn't go. I don't bring along our own soap or shampoo. What the hotel provides is fine as we don't have skin allergies or sensitivities that prevent us from using it. I do bring along tear free shampoo for the little girls. I also consider how easily I'd be able to get something I didn't bring. For instance, my parents and dh's parents own property in Northern MI and Northern Wisconsin. The drive to get something late at night, for instance, if someone spikes a fever or comes down sick, can be long so I tend to pack more for those instances. We'll have a car at Disney, so while I'll probably pack ibuprofin and some basics, I won't overload because getting what we need will be easy at any time. I don't pack the kitchen sink. If we need it, we buy it.

7) I control extras. Each girl may pack her backpack of things to do and that's it. It's easier to control this now as they all have iphones/ipods and that's what they basically use to entertain themselves on most trips. I have one bag(it's one of the large 31 utility totes) that extras go in. If it doesn't fit, it doesn't go. Priority goes to things like chargers and cables. ;)

I looked at the ten day weather, and we'd be comfortable wearing capris/shorts with sweaters and jackets in the mornings/evenings and then taking them off a it warmed up. We're from the midwest and wearing carpis for a bit in high 50/low 60 degree weather doesn't bother me. For the little girls, I try to pack things that look cute layered. For instance, little dresses that look cute with leggings (which can easily be rolled up and stuffed in mom's purse if they get too warm).

1) I believe myself a pro for packing (mostly) light for five people 2) Dh and I are comfortable wearing bottoms twice before we consider them "dirty". I encourage my teen to do the same, but don't do that with the two little girls as they just seem to be more dirty (and more apt to spill). If we're gone for nine days (2 days travel, 7 days vacation) we'd only bring FIVE bottoms as opposed to 9 which saves a LOT of space. My husband is very tall, so his jeans take up a LOT of space. 3) I sleep in yoga pants and the days t-shirt or camisole. Oldest dd does the same. Little girls get more pajamas packed because up until recently, we would still have nighttime accidents or diaper leaks (no more diapers for me!:cool1:) Dh doesn't wear pajamas (paranoid). He sleeps in his boxers, but I do bring pajama pants in case he need to leave the room before bed or first thing in the morning and doesn't want to dress all the way) 4) I don't overload on shoes. This is hard, but shoes are bulky and take up space. On beach trips, I bring 1 pair of tennis shoes, 1 pair of sandals and 1 pair of flip flops (those take up no space). I hate limiting my shoes. A lot, but they just take up so much space that I'm okay doing without. 5) I consider weather or not it would be inconvenient to have to do laundry. When we go to the beach, we tend to rent house that have laundry inside. I usually do a load of laundry every day (I throw it in at bedtime). That means I pack less and don't go home with a huge amount of dirty clothes. However, on our Disney trip, I won't be doing laundry at all. If you feel like you'd have a day to do a couple of loads, you can cut the amount you need to pack in half. 6) I control toiletries. I have a large toiletries bag and if it doesn't fit, it doesn't go. I don't bring along our own soap or shampoo. What the hotel provides is fine as we don't have skin allergies or sensitivities that prevent us from using it. I do bring along tear free shampoo for the little girls. I also consider how easily I'd be able to get something I didn't bring. For instance, my parents and dh's parents own property in Northern MI and Northern Wisconsin. The drive to get something late at night, for instance, if someone spikes a fever or comes down sick, can be long so I tend to pack more for those instances. We'll have a car at Disney, so while I'll probably pack ibuprofin and some basics, I won't overload because getting what we need will be easy at any time. I don't pack the kitchen sink. If we need it, we buy it. 7) I control extras. Each girl may pack her backpack of things to do and that's it. It's easier to control this now as they all have iphones/ipods and that's what they basically use to entertain themselves on most trips. I have one bag(it's one of the large 31 utility totes) that extras go in. If it doesn't fit, it doesn't go. Priority goes to things like chargers and cables. ;) I looked at the ten day weather, and we'd be comfortable wearing capris/shorts with sweaters and jackets in the mornings/evenings and then taking them off a it warmed up. We're from the midwest and wearing carpis for a bit in high 50/low 60 degree weather doesn't bother me. For the little girls, I try to pack things that look cute layered. For instance, little dresses that look cute with leggings (which can easily be rolled up and stuffed in mom's purse if they get too warm).

Wow! You rock! We go to Dis every year and have been since DD's were 2&5. We always seem to have SOOOO much stuff to lug no matter how many times I say, "ok, this trip, we're packing LIGHT!" Our main prob is the amount of olives they bring. The younger one has about 30 or so diff size Buzz and Woody dolls that go with us every time to "visit". Since we've been taking them for many many years now, I know this sounds crazy, but I can't imagine breaking tradition and leaving one of them home and so I always have this one big bag with all of them. Lol. Plus soooo many other carry on bags with who knows what! We go again in 33 days and I'm going to begin packing soon. I WILL DO BETTER THIS YEAR!!! :-D

I loved your auto correct … it made me wonder, then laugh a LOT… lol

Me too! I was like "so, buy them some olives at Publix or something".:lmao:

Yeah, I'm kind of a meanie about taking a lot of extra bulky item. I'm fine with each girl bringing a stuffie (even though the little two have no real attachment to any of them. My big one did, but she travels without him now. :() That's why them having control of their own backpacks work so well. The big two pack their own and I pack for the little one. You can pack whatever you want in your backpack, I don't care, but if you waste all your space with big stuffies, you might not be able to fit in the book or toys that you will ACTUALLY play with. My kids just don't play much with stuffies (save the little one, but she doesn't really either) so I know that there's no real play/entertainment value. One stuffie (I push for the larger Build-a-Bear sized ones) are great for being pillows in the car and propping heads into more comfy positions and I've been known to snag one for myself when it's naptime. ;)

I'd work on coming up with a plan on how to leave SOME Buzz and Woodies at home. Can you suggest the toys have been complaining about being leaderless when ALL the Space Rangers and Cowboy trip off to Disneyworld? What about their favorites going along and making a video log for the ones left behind?

Pack one main color for each person. Maybe you have pink, and then add black and tan. Your hubby has blue, and then khaki and chocolate. Makes your clothing easy to mix and match and limits the number of accessories you will need. One belt will go with everything and your jewelry will all coordinate.

I've found that in order for my feet to be happy I have to switch shoes at least every other day. Wear your clunkiest pair in the car or on the airplane, and pack a smaller, lighter pair.

Share toiletries where you can, and pack travel sizes. If you want to go crazy you can even find travel sized curling irons and hair brushes.:) The more small items you have, the better!

I'm packing a thin short sleeve tshirt, then a light sweater over that for each day. I'm also packing a thin long sleeve tshirt to wear over the short sleeve t in case I need an extra layer. We wear a fleece in the airplane so we have that in case we need them.

~Bring ONE pair of shoes.
This wouldn't work for me at a place like Disney. I need to have at least two pair to trade off when my feet get tired. If I wear the same pair every day, no matter how comfortable they are, my feet are shot before the end of the trip.

Consider your own idiosyncracies before making any decisions like this.

We follow many of the same principles as 3Gsandme. It's much easier to pack light for our summer trips than our winter trips though. I always do a few loads of laundry. It's no big deal to spend 2 hours at the pool and doing laundry at the same time. Or we do laundry during our afternoon break time about half way through the trip. This way we really only need to bring 5 outfits for a 10 day trip.
Packing for winter trips is all about layers. It's really not necessary to bring a different sweater for every single day. We bring maybe 2 or 3.
We're flying Southwest and not paying for bags. This time I plan to bring some non perishable breakfast items for the room and just pick up fruit and milk and juice while I am there. When we leave we can use that small suitcase for anything we bought while we were there.
The kids are welcome to bring what they want in their carry-ons. Ds will still bring one or two stuffed animals and some things to occupy himself on the plane.

I read a travel article years ago for people who overpack. It suggested to lay everything out on your bed that you want to pack and then remove 1/3 of it. This really helps me. My husband has also used this trick.

I also keep in mind that in Disney I always like to purchase at least one t-shirt that I will wear while down there so I mentally add that to my t-shirt total.

I pack sundresses that I can wear the same pair of sandals with. This way I wear my runners on the plane and just pack one pair of sandals and one pair of flip flops for the pool.

I've taken to shipping a box ahead of time straight to the resort vice taking a suitcase. This way I don't have to limit myself and it is usually cheaper than paying to check baggage. It's a little more costly to ship back but still worth not having to hassle.

• 1 outfit per day + 2 extra (including underwear/socks). You can always do a load of laundry if you need to
  • For a 7 day November trip I'm taking 3 pairs of shorts and 3 pairs of pants for adults as we can rewear them (or wash in a pinch). Kid gets 4 shorts and 4 pants.
  • We just wear T-shirts every day, no fancy clothes
  • 1 light jacket or sweatshirt per person, wear it on the plane. (and stretchy knit gloves in the pockets if there is a chill predicted)
  • 2 pairs of shoes per person, one on your feet and one in the suitcase
  • 1 pajama for every 2 or even 3 nights
  • Tube toiletries use less space than bottles (I use the hotel shampoo as shampoo, body wash, and even as leg shaving cream, but I take my own conditioner)
  • Put things like undies and toiletries in zip loc freezer bag and squeeze all the air out before sealing.
  • You really don't need to take beach towels, robes, slippers
  • Keep the makeup, lotions, potions, jewelry and fancy stuff to the barest minimum.
  • I promise you won't need that sewing kit
  • If you took it last time and didn't use it, you won't need it this time either
  • 1 small stuffed animal per kid and they have to carry it on the plane with them
  • Wear your lanyard on the plane
  • Always pack your carry on with 1 of your spare outfits and your toothbrush just in case your luggage gets lost
  • Mom is not the pack mule. If you want to take it you're gonna carry it yourself. :lmao:

- Keep the makeup, lotions, potions, jewelry and fancy stuff to the barest minimum.
This. Those full-size bottles of shampoo and conditioner don't just take up lots of space in your luggage; they're heavy.

Buy some travel-size bottles at Target, or the empty plastic travel bottles if they don't have your favorite brand.

Some good tips so far. I can do a week in 1 carry-on sized suit case and a carry on under the seat. Dress in layers if the temps get colder. You can start out in a coat in the morning and not need it most of the day until night. For November:

2 pairs of shoes
1 shirt per day, at least 1 long sleeve t-shirt
2 pairs long pants. Khakis and jeans.
3 pairs of shorts
gym shorts/t-shirt to sleep in.
underwear/socks: 1 set/day
Light coat - wear it on the plane.
Minimal shaving kit items. I use the stuff at the hotel.

Electronics, books, camera, travel info go in the under seat carry on.

Anything else I might need and forgot I can buy.

Mom is not the pack mule. If you want to take it you're gonna carry it yourself.

Love this! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter