Packing Horror story

nkkilala

DIS Veteran
Ok So I am ticked about right now. Here is the story
I have my bag all packed and sitting in the corner of my room. It has been here for about 3 weeks ready to go.
I am sitting on my bed this morning burshing my hair when my cat comes in. He climbs up on my bag and I tell him to get off. Being a cat he doesn't speak english and doesn't listen I then pick him up and throw him off only to find out that he is peeing!@!! He peed all over my new packed cloths!! I am so ticked. I have him locked out of my room and am washing EVERTHING in my bag!
Has anyone had a horror story like this?? I sure hope you haven't!
I am still in shock!!! and VERY angry.
Any tips to keep him from doing this again?? I thought I was being good by packing early but now the whole purpose was defeated. I don't know if I will ever pack early again now! Luckyly I did have my undies in a ziplock so it didn't get on them but i had to throw all of the bags out and start over. Needless to say I sense a very bad day ahead.

Oh, no! Kitty would be exiled to his room for a while! How are you cleaning your luggage?

I had an older male cat that used to do that when he was mad at me. He did it last summer on the bathroom rug while I was in there right after I got back from vacation. Unfortunately, I ended up having to have him put to sleep a few months ago due to seizures that were aggrevated by a stomach tumor. I hope you cat is young and healthy and just has an attitude. I would have him checked out though if he continues to do it. That may be a sign of a medical issue.

Hasn't happened to me. But sounds like something my cat would do. Correction my DD cat. Sometimes if she's mad at my DD she'll pee on something of hers. URGGGGGH I have begged my DD to get rid of her. Then my DD starts crying. I'll never own another cat ever. :sad2: Sorry about the mishap.

I have a cat that does that sort of thing when he senses bad things coming, like me going away for a while. I get really angry at first but then I feel awful becaue I know that's just the only way he has to express how sad he is.

That, or he's just saying that he doesn't like my choice in bedding manufacturer.

How long before your trip?

I don't think kitty wants you to leave and that's his way of stopping your trip. :cat:

I just started packing yesterday (we leave early Sat am). My kitties have decided they want to come, so they continue to climb in the suitcases and snuggle up every time I walk away to get something else. Although they are not peeing (which I did fear), we will have cat hair all over our clean clothes. I am not about to rewash everything for a little cat hair, ya know.

I fully expect they will be mad while we are gone and I will find lots of "gifts" for us when we return. Not looking forward to that.

Sorry about your cat. I hope nothing is wrong - just an attitude!

Mary

Isn't there a saying "Dog's Rule and Cat's Drool"?

Brings a new meaning to drool, doesn't it? :rotfl2:

I have three and 1/2 cats. One isn't exactly mine, he belonged to the woman who lived in my apartment before I did. She pulled up in front one day, through him out of her car window and drove off, laughing. Well, needless to say, I adopted him (since he thought he still lived in the apartment anyway) but he's an outside cat most of the time. My neighbors also take him in now and again, so he's living quite the good life!

In any case, we do occasionally have "cat pee" issues. One way to get rid of the smell is to add vinegar to your rinse water when you wash the clothes. Also, if you spray vinegar on your cat's chosen places, they won't go near them! While I was at WDW last year, at least one of my cats was really annoyed, and chose to express that annoyance all over my love seat. Fortunately, the fabric is color-safe. After I cleaned the mess up, and disinfected, I sprayed vinegar on it, and the cats won't go near it now. So, I also spray my sofa, chair, and anything else I want to cat proof. It worked.

So, last week I found a really good sale on those solid air fresheners (either Glade or Airwick, I don't remember) and the melon one smelled really good. I bought a few and put them around my apartment. Now my house smells like a salad :rotfl: But it doesn't smell like cats!

Beth

YUCK! There's nothing worse than cat pee!

That happened to us once. We were visiting friends of ours and one of her cats climbed into our suitcase and peed on everything. Ugh. She had some kind of spray from Walmart and it did a great job getting the odor out of the suitcase.

Hi Nikki! Ick! Male cat pee is some of the stinkiest stuff. :crazy2: I agree that it sounds like you have an upset kitty who senses that you're leaving him. Cats are so smart! Poor little guy, he just doesn't want you to go. Maybe give him some extra love these days before your trip. Oh and put your new bag in a closet. LOL ;)

My s-i-l's cat used to throw up on and around her suitcase when she got it out for a trip. They used to have to hide the fact that they were going away.

How horrible!
I would get him checked out though. It could be attitude, but it could also be a bladder infection. I just had to have a bladder stone taken out of my kitty. She was peeing in weird places and that's what tipped me off about the stone. Btw, she is 10 years old and had never had litter box problems before so this was totally out of character for her.

I agree with the above posters who mentioned considering that there may be a medical reason for the cat peeing in innappropriate places. It can often start off as a bladder infection but become a behaviour problem if you don't treat it. If it was the first and only time then don't worry but if it has become a recent problem then schedule a vet appointment. As for the odor there is a product calle Natures Miracle (sold in most pet stores) specifiically for these types of odors. You douse the affected area and as it drys it will pull the odor from the item. Best for items that can not be put in the washer. I have also used vinegar for taking the odor of washables. If there seems to be a favorite spot that the kitty is picking you can place tinfoil over the area. Cats do not like the sound of it when they walk on it. I have also been told they do not like the scent of citrus so a citrus scented carpet deoderizer or air freshener can keep them away from problem areas. Can you tell we dealt with this issue for several years before we had to get rid of out sweet little kitty? Now I have a new cat who has a major bladder infection (urine is red!!) that is not responding well to medicines. Her favorite place to go? On our brand new dining room carpet!!!! Unless this clears up soon............

We had a male cat that would pee in our laundry or the bathtub. (I much preferred the tub actually.) In our case it was a bladder infection with the stones. Evidently it's fairly common with male cats...especially in our area because of our hard water. It turns out that the men in the area also have a much higher rate of kidney stones due to the hard water as well.

We had to start covering the laundry with a big sheet of plastic to keep him out - and then he'd usually use the tub and we'd head to the vet with him. We switched him to bottled water instead of tap. While he had the problem less often then, he still did.

The vinegar thing is what we did. But oh - there's nothing like coming home to the smell of the lion house of the zoo! :crazy:

Thank you everyone for you replies. They made me realize that this isn't too uncommon. The cat (actually roomates cat)is only 3 years old and has never had these problems before. Ithink he is upset because we just came back from a 4 day extended weekend and now he senses we are leaving in 9 days..... My other cat (actually mine) is doing fine. He could care less he is too concerined with trying to climb the screen!! lol.
I have started washing my cloths and cleaned the suit case with bleach.
I was lucky that I had put a layer of plastic bags on top of my cloths (for tolitries) and most of it went on this. Only a little bit dripped to the bottom and I havn't found any evidance on my cloths, but i'm still washing them!
I will have to hide my suit case in the closet. I am also exiling him from my room for a while.
My biggest concern is that my kitty (1 year old) will try to re-mark the terriroty as his! Just what I need a kitty with an ego!! lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter