Packing cubes--are they worth it?

I think they're worth it. They come in a variety of colors and sizes. I have a Merlin Purple double sized Eagle Creek Packing Cube. I've already test packed (I still have a month and a week to go) and I fit several pairs of Crop Pants in it. In the small size eBags brand packing cubes, I have fit a few shirts in one and some socks in the other.

I think they'd be convenient for packing the carry on, especially for keeping the emergency set of clothes separate from any other things you pack in a carry on.

Read the reviews at eBags site and go from there.

I use the Eagle Creek packing "envelope" things...they compact everything nicely and reduce wrinkles.

I use zip-locks. They are inexpensive and can be used over and over again. The gallon size work great for shirts, shorts, swimsuits and unmentionables. The two gallon size for jeans/pants and of course the quart size for TSA stuff and other toiletries and snack sizes for well, snacks. It does a bit of practice to fold and roll to fit the clothes in the bag and get the air out but they do work really well and they fit in a suitecase, a carryon or a backpack nicely because of the various sizes that you can get.

SHould I get them or should we just use ziploc bags? TIA.

Very worthwhile investment. I use eBags packing cubes, and they do come on sale. You can get a discount via Mousesavers. I've had packing cubes from them for many years...makes it easy to separate categories of clothes. Keeps your suitcase neat, when you need to be shifting things around to organize things--you just move the bag, and don't wrinkle up your clothes. We have had our luggage checked at the airport, and I don't relish the thought of screeners handling my lingerie/sleepwear/etc. This keeps it organized. And they can move stuff around and look without disturbing it. I feel I've gotten my monies worth from them, and ordered a new set for this latest trip so my dd could have a 'fun' color.

I've always been one to use zip locks, but last summer decided to buy a few of the Eagle Creek packing folders and ebags packing cubes, just to try them. Some people here on the DIS had recommended them. I found I like them much better that the zip locks, especially the medium and large packing folders. I found I can put more in them, than I ever could a zip lock. Those things just keep stretching and if you use the plastic packing guide that comes with the packing folders your clothes don't wrinkle. I bought three medium square cubes and also three of the smaller long oblong cube, plus a couple of packing folders. I like them so much that when I found some on sale at TJ Maxx I bought a bunch more. They are all I pack with now. As far as the packing folders I prefer the 18" medium size over the 20" large or 15" small ones. Really I prefer the folders over the cubes, but use both. Last Sept I was able to squeeze two thin dresses, four pr shorts, and four blouses into a medium cube. I was able to put 7 pr thin panties, 7 thin cotton bras, and a thin nightgown into one of the oblong shaped cubes. When I went on a cruise in January I packed all of my day clothes for a week in an 18" packing folder. Because the cubes and folders keep their nice square shape it makes it very easy to arrange them neatly in a suitcase or carry on and because of the mesh tops you don't have to worry about sqeezing air out, there's no way air can be trapped in them. Look them both up on ebags.com and read the reviews.

Again our TJ Maxx had them much cheaper than ebags. I bought some of the Eagle Creek folders and Eagle Creek cubes at TJ Maxx for $4.00-$14.00 each. I think they'll last forever. The ebags cubes are also nice though.

I had bever heard of them, either! I think I need to go to TJMax today!!

Can't live without my Eagle Creek! My TJ Maxx doesn't have them (or else I missed em) so I get mine at Container Store. Pricey- but they have been used again and again.

You know, I used to be a devout ziploc bag packer, but then I started using packing cubes and now I don't pack any other way. The ziploc bags were good, but it used to take me FOREVER to pack them (we have 2 small children). Plus the suitcases would be a mess of empty bags, bags with some clothes in them, etc. halfway through the trip. I'd have to reorganize everything for the way home. The packing cubes are faster to pack, and they keep me more organized...I put shirts in one, shorts/capris in another, etc. They also hold a LOT (I use the ebags large sized ones). Plus the clothes don't wrinkle as they did when I used the ziplocs. Packing cubes are much more friendly to the environment too.

Hope that helps! :)

After reading this post, I ordered a set of medium, and a set of small packing cubes from Ebags. I got free shipping with this code: CATAPLPH8. Thanks for the reviews. I'm looking forward to my order! :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter