Packing clothes with ziplocs.

Mouse House Mama

Luckiest Mommy in the World!!!
For those that have done it do the clothes get wrinkly? Do you really save a lot of space in the luggage? I am thinking of doing this on our next trip. Tell me more about it. Thank you!

I don't find that I save all that much space because the air seems to leak back into the bags. The biggest benefit for me is that I can hand each kid a bag in the morning and they can get themselves ready without hearing the "Mom - I can't find....".

I don't do the adult clothes like that, just the kids. I just fold carefully so they aren't wrinkled.

It really is a huge time saver in the mornings!

I only do the kids clothes too. If folded well, they are not wrinkly. I love the ease of just grabbing a bag with a complete outfit rather than digging through the luggage to find stuff.

Definate time saver

Just wanted to pass along a HINT I was told for a cruise.
I purchased one of those hanging shoe bags, the ones with pockets on each side and solid liner in middle, holds like 10 pairs of shoes, at walmart ($5)

Then put outfits in EACH one, (up to 20 days) or also great for toiletries, shoes, NOTHING gets lost and clothes are all READY TO GO. It worked great for us, especially on a cruise/hotel where draw space is limited. (I rolled all clothes in suitcase , avoids most wrinkles), then just placed in each holder, plenty of room for shirt, shorts, undergarments.

I do it for nearly every trip. Yeah, the air somehow sneaks into some bags, but over all, I find it to be very organized....shirts, shorts, undies, swim suits...each have their own bags. Then, when it is time to pack up, I pack all the dirty clothes in separate bags from the clean ones. I don't think it makes a really big difference as far as how wrinkles the clothes get.

Plus, it seems we always get picked to get our checked luggage searched by TSA. We seem to get those little white notes in our bags frequently! It makes that process seem a little less intrusive because your stuff isn't all rearranged in your bag.

I just packed my son's clothes in gallon size Ziplocs for Boy Scout Camp this past week. I put socks, underwear, a pair of shorts and a T shirt in each bag. He was so happy with me.;) He said it was so easy to get dressed each morning while his friends were trying to find their socks in the bottom of their trunk. He had one outift that he did not wear and when I unpacked it at home it was not too wrinkled at all.
I already plan on doing the same thing from now on for any trips we take. Not having to organize 3 different outfits a day for my three kids is going to be a real sanity saver.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I think I may try it. No matter how I pack matching every outfit for every day we are always digging in the luggage trying to find something to match etc. I want to avoid that if at all possible.

My DH took two of our DDs to see his mom for a week -- packing their clothes in Ziplocs was a lifesaver for him!
:laundy:

I packed DS's in ziplocks to make getting dressed easier, it doesn't seem to save a lot of space in the suitcase though. I think it's more for organization than saving space. I will still pick out what he wears and whoever gets dressed first can dress him.. I would rather do that than have DH dress him! :scared:

I thought it saved a lot of space on our last trip. I did DD's outfits (2 a day) in each gallon bag. (Of course, she was only 15 months old, so she had small clothes to begin with!) I bought bigger bags for DH and me, and I loved it. I packed each of ours with daily necessities (t-shirts, underwear, socks, etc.) so I could pick out a bag each morning and go. I didn't find a lot of air in ours, but we squished them down well before we left and found few wrinkles when we arrived.

I put my DDs' outfits in the ziplock bags. Since we were at Disney for a week and we flew, space was at a minimum. They did save some space, IMHO. I did go out and buy a couple of the "SpaceBag" Travel Bags. I packed our damp swimsuits, that we had used the previous night, in those. I rolled the air out of them and I washed them as soon as we got home that night.:laundy: They didn't have a musty smell or they didn't get anything else wet in the suitcase.:thumbsup2

I think the Ziplock (or generic brand) bags help keep everything somewhat orderly....especially with young children.

Ziplocs are wonderful timesavers in the morning. Our four year old was able to go into the dresser and grab a bag. We packed together before we left so she had input into what we packed. We NEVER had an argument about what she was going to wear. Truly magical!!!!!

I do it all the time when we go on vacation. I don't think it's a space saver, but it's definitely a sanity saver! It was so nice to know that my strong willed 3 year old actually matched everyday. There were no fights about what to wear and she never looked silly with her striped shorts and flower printed shirt.

I actually had my 3 year old "help" me pack her and her sisters clothes and she did a great job putting them in the bags. I even included her underwear and socks in the bag.

It is also a great way to keep track of clean/dirty clothes.

This is true. I love packing the kids clothes in ziplocs...it's also great because I'm always wary of putting our clothes in the hotel dresser drawers, this way it's fine cause they're proteced by the bags. The kids just open a drawer and pick an outfit for that day. Actually, I don't think I could pack the kids stuff without ziplocs anymore!

I take along a travel size bottle of Downy Wrinkle Release.:rolleyes1

The night before I am going to wear an outfit, I pull it out of the bag and put on a hanger. I use the clips to secure the shorts, spray a little downy on, smooth over with my hand. Put the shirt on the hanger over the shorts, repeat the process.

Then, I hang the outfit in the bathroom. When I shower in the morning, the steam can do a little work too and my clothes are right there for when I am ready to get dressed.

I never pull out the iron. Mostly the clothes look good when I pull them out of the bag, but there are some wrinkles. This eliminates them.

For the kids, I just put the bag on their bed in the morning so when they wake up they can get themselves dressed. Their smaller-sized clothes come through wrinkle-free.

I also like the idea that all my clothes are in bags if someone goes searching through my suitcase or if for some reason the suitcase would get wet, the clothes would remain clean and dry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter