PACKING ADVICE: Tell me one thing you never pack, or an unusual must-pack items?

Excedrin Migraine OTC medicine. Unfortunately, I tend to wake up with a migraine on occasion, and I don't want to go hunting for it.

the oddest thing we pack is a paper cup tray (like the kind you get at a fast food restaurant).

We do this too - saw it on these boards before we left on our first cruise and it was SO useful! We didn't have any issues with the room steward taking it, but it's a good idea to put your name/room number on it.

Also this time we will be packing a small flashlight - after reading about the loss of power at night on the Grandeur during the fire.

I will NOT be packing as many snacks this time - there is way too much food available on the boat! Will still need some for the plane ride over to Europe, but we'll have plenty of food on the boat and will be doing gelato everywhere we go for excursions :)

Very helpful thread - thank you! We are going on our first (ever) cruise (on the Dream) in December 2013 - so I'm enjoying learning what people take & don't take.

May I ask what the pop up hamper is for? I'm assuming dirty clothes?

Since there is no iron, do people bring their clothes in hanging bags?

Instead of the pop up hamper for laundry, we use the Ziploc Big Bags XL or XXL. They pretty much work like space saver bags. Once full, you can sit on the bag to get all the air out. The dirty clothes take up much less space going back than the clean clothes coming thus leaving room for purchases!

If you have a sensitive stomach, Immodium is always a good idea. I have read on the boards that the infirmary will quarantine you to your room if you go there instead.

I absolutely bring OTC medication with me. Last time I had to buy some Dramamine for a particularly rough night and let me tell you, we got GOUGED at the gift shop. And I know you can get analgesics at guest services or the shops, but I'd much rather just get back to my room, take a couple of ibuprofen, and be done with it. I don't bring a Costco-sized bottle of Advil or anything, but small pills take up very little room and are a lifesaver if, say, you wake up in the middle of the night with indigestion and the shops aren't open or it's a long haul in your pajamas to guest services for some Tums. I always bring ibuprofen, Tums or other antacid, Benadryl, Dramamine, Lactaid and Immodium. Particularly if you're susceptible to motion sickness or have a sensitive stomach.

On the other hand, we've never traveled with a pop-up hamper. We have a nylon laundry bag that folds up into itself in like 2 inches. All clothes go in there with the drawstring and then at the end of the trip, they get dumped in a suitcase.

I thought that Bonine type medicine was available for free on the ships? :confused3:

Yeah, the shampoo wasn't my favorite, but it did the job. I did pack body wash, though..... And luckily the on board store sells razors because I forgot mine!

I forgot to add tumblers and travel mugs for drink station runs!

Just want to say that there was a jarful of disposable razors in the ladies locker room in the spa. Dh didn't notice if there were any in the men's locker room. But I would think there would be. He just didn't notice.

I brought insulated cups but ended up buying a new Tervis in one of the shops anyway. I don't care for the shampoo but dh and my teen boys were fine with it. I brought my own and my own body wash. I also always bring a cheap nylon puff to use with body wash. Then I just toss it in the trash at the end of the trip. A small can of air freshener is a MUST. Especially when sharing a room with teen boys! Phew!

I take a lot of the usual stuff, but since you asked about unusual...I also take a mini-pillow. I know the DCL pillows are popular with some, but I absolutely can't sleep on them. For the record, I don't take it on other vacations, I'm not always obsessive about my pillow. :p

I will bite on this one. I also take one of the mini pillows with me but I take it on any and all vacations. I won't say I can't sleep without one but I so prefer to have the mini pillow to tuck under my chin.:upsidedow

We have been on 10 DCL and have paired our packing down quite a bit. I do like having my own beach towels and towel clips. Helps me locate our chairs! I always bring an umbrella. I definitely bring Tervis tumblers with lids. Be sure to bring cups to CC. They do not have lids for drink cups on CC. Don't forget attire for Pirate Night. Most people really go all out. I also bring a small medicine bag with essentials. Have never brought any organizers. Shoes can be lined up under the bed. Power cord is a great idea.

Tide stick.

I am total slob down my front all the time, add cruise to the mix and I am a mess on a regular basis. I keep it in my front pocket of my travel purse that comes to the dinners with me.

I find it works way better than the wipes which make my slobbiness a little tooo obvious.

...speaking of which....

Small sling purse

or some other unobtrusive bag to carry with you to dinner that will hold camera, stuff, navigator, stuff, iThingie, stuff, WAVE PHONE, and random stuff. You will accumulate it, you will want it with you irrationally, so plan for it.

Lots and lots of bathing suit cover ups and slip over dresses that are no fuss no muss.

Your waist line will bulge, will do things that no spanx can handle...plan for it, and be comfortable.

The things we wished we had from our first cruise and loved having on our second:

- Liquid soap with a pump dispenser. A 5-year old can make a huge mess with a bar of soap when washing hands.
- Good tissues. The box got kind of crushed in the suitcase, but we all appreciated nice tissues in Alaska when we came in from the cold.
- Cold medicine. Best guarantee to not get sick is to bring all that stuff from home! :rotfl2:
- Our own cups for the drink station. We used the ones we got from the dining plan at Disney.

I second the sling bag or small tote for carrying things!

We also brought sippy cups for DS, and some liquid dish soap to wash them and our travel cups at night for the next day!

Do pack: Medicine. Whether it be cough drops and Motrin or Advil. I was sick on my vacation last August, and had to of spent seventy five dollars on just cough drops and pain reliever. And weeks before your cruise, remember to keep the family away from sickness, and take lots of vitamins. Nothing is worse than being sick on your vacation!

Also, remember sneakers! Nobody in my family remembered them and we wanted to jog the track around the ship, but all we have were flip flops!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter