Packing a nebulizer & medication questions

JELBoggio

Mouseketeer
Hi there,

This is my first trip taking my DS (4) who has seasonal allergies, severe tree nut allergies, and asthma. We plan to take his nebulizer in case he needs it. I plan to pack the heavy thing im my backpack carry-on instead of checking it under. Does anyone pack their nebulizer in anything? Is there ever a problem getting it through security?

Also plan to take all his medications in the carry-on as well. Do you need to carry the prescription if it's not on the box? The prescription for the epi-pen has fallen off the tube. Since it has a needle on the end, will I have trouble getting this through security? Also, I was not going to take the box (with prescription label on it) that the albuteral and pulmacort are in - will that be a problem?

I'm just trying to get it "right" before I get there!

I usually ask the pharmacist to print out 2 labels for the inhalers. One for the box and one for the inhaler. My son's school requires the label on the inhaler itself. The last time we went on the Disney cruise I had called and asked those same questions. The person who answered said I did, in fact, need a label on all prescription medications. I had both the battery operated nebulizer and the regular one in a carry on bag. I keep the epipen in a ziplock freezer bag and cut out the label from the box and put that inside the bag. I don't put it on the outside of the epipen container because I want to make sure the epipen instructions can be read.

I used to travel with a nebulizer (DS has graduated to an inhaler) and carried it and the medications onboard many times without difficulties.

As far as the epi pen -- I've never flown with one (DS doesn't need one), but one thing I know is that if you go to the pharmacy where you got it they can print a replacement label. I've had them do it for other things (so that we'd have a label for camp or school).

Hi,
My 4 year old has Cystic Fibrosis, and we travel everywhere with our nebulizer. I would not take the chance of my luggage getting lost and not having my neb. You can buy a portable one that is a lot smaller and lighter, but they cost about $300. If your nebulizer is a few years old, you could probably trade it in for a better, smaller one. As for prescriptions, we have never had a problem with airport security, but make sure you have everything labeled and you might what to have a letter for your Dr. Have a great trip!

JELBoggio said:
Hi there,

This is my first trip taking my DS (4) who has seasonal allergies, severe tree nut allergies, and asthma. We plan to take his nebulizer in case he needs it. I plan to pack the heavy thing im my backpack carry-on instead of checking it under. Does anyone pack their nebulizer in anything? Is there ever a problem getting it through security?

Also plan to take all his medications in the carry-on as well. Do you need to carry the prescription if it's not on the box? The prescription for the epi-pen has fallen off the tube. Since it has a needle on the end, will I have trouble getting this through security? Also, I was not going to take the box (with prescription label on it) that the albuteral and pulmacort are in - will that be a problem?

I'm just trying to get it "right" before I get there!

It shouldn't be any problem. I never take the box itself. I have Cystic Fibrosis so I take Pulmozyme, Albuteral, and Tobi. What I usally do is take a packet I usally need 2 packets since 1 packet has 5 viels in it. I take this and keep it in my carry-on bag along with my nebulizer itself. Before the trip (usally about a month) I get a note from my main doctor stating that I have this. Also I just have a listing of all my meds that I keep on me so its not a big deal if they ask me (which has only happened once). All in all it won't be any problem going thru security at least not in my experiance.

:cool1: Hope you enjoy your trip and have an awsome time :cool1:
Mike

Thank you for the links, Sue. :thumbsup2 And thank you Mike - I have looked into the Aeroneb Go a few weeks ago and it's a little pricey, but will most likely be a necessity the more we travel. Or maybe I should say - after 1 trip lugging the large neb, maybe I can convince DH to get the small one! ;)

My son is 5 and has asthma and severe treenut/peanut allergies. This will be his third trip to disney. I always carry the nebulizer with me and have never had a problem. As far as the epi-pens on the plane I get a note from the doctor explaining the allergy and that we must carry the epi-pen b/c this is a life threatening situation. We always fly Southwest and they have never given us a problem. We always fly out on the very first flight of the day b/c the plane is clean and people are not usually feeding their kids peanut butter sandwiches that early in the day. By the way, I don't mean to be nosy but if your child has such a severe allergy you should have a lot more epi-pens than just one. I must have at least 20 and I always bring at least 8 with me on vacation. We have pens everywhere and with every adult he comes in contact with. There is a good website www.Peanutallergy.com that is very helpful. 6 more days until we go again!!
Good luck,
Kathy

#1_Donald_Duck_Fan said:
It shouldn't be any problem. I never take the box itself. I have Cystic Fibrosis so I take Pulmozyme, Albuteral, and Tobi. What I usally do is take a packet I usally need 2 packets since 1 packet has 5 viels in it. I take this and keep it in my carry-on bag along with my nebulizer itself. Before the trip (usally about a month) I get a note from my main doctor stating that I have this. Also I just have a listing of all my meds that I keep on me so its not a big deal if they ask me (which has only happened once). All in all it won't be any problem going thru security at least not in my experiance.

:cool1: Hope you enjoy your trip and have an awsome time :cool1:
Mike

Got the 2 fridges ok. Did my IV's on the trip and it wasn't that bad all in all. Had a great trip. Are you Mike L from C-L and Conncoll?

Kalen

PS Yeah for Cystic Fibrosis being represented.

I have asthma, bee allergies, and sleep apnea. I travel with my nebulizer (portable ultrasonic by Omron - fits in one hand), my CPAP machine, and my meds - including multiple epi-pens - all on board with me. My epi-pens have the label on the box, and I don't usually carry the box. I have never had a problem with security with it - never got hand searched - they know what it is when they see it. I have traveled with my CPAP 2-3 tinmes now and have not gotten stopped either - they definitely know what it is - and it doesn't count as your carry on allowance - it is medical equiptment - and you are allowed to carry it on extra.

As for the neb - definitely take it on board with you. You never know what might happen to your checked luggage. It will not count as one of your carry on bags.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter