Packages for fam of 6

heart4dis

Mouseketeer
As best as I can tell, all package deals through Disney or travel agents or DisSavers are for families of 4. For a family of 6 they usually make us almost double the price since we need two rooms for on-site hotels. So I am opting to piecemeal my own deals and stay off-site so we can stay in one room.

Has anyone else proved me wrong? Are there packages for families of 6 that are good deals?

We will be a family of 7 when we arrive in Aug. Try booking over the disney web site. I had more luck fitting more people in room that way. I ended up convincing a CM over the phone that we could all fit in a 1br villa (have babies and need kitchen) so sometimes they will work with you. I don't know the ages of your childern, ours worked because are 5 childern will be 6 and under and they can leave the babies off of your ressies because you are not being charged for them, but is worth a try. If not try the holiday inn web site, I got a room on International Dr for $49.95, they seem to have good deals for advance booking.

I've done this two different ways.

I've mostly stayed off site recently. I really like the Holiday Inn Suites. They have a wonderful pool and all their rooms are two bedroom suites. Which means the parents get their own room, with a tv. The kids get their own room, with bunk beds, there's also a tv, and nintendo 64. In the living room, there's a pull out couch, with a tv and vcr. You only have one bathroom, but that's okay. I've been able to get these suites for as low as $89 during the low season or $149 during peak. It's a really great deal, especially when you consider that you get a free breakfast buffet (hot food, with pancakes and bacon, as long as you get there early) and kids eat free in all the restaurants. And for those of us with larger families....It means 1 paying adult per 4 kids!!!

The other thing that I've done when I've had to say on property is book the package as for just me and two of the kids. Then I call CRO and book another room with one of my discounts, usually an annual pass. Then a week or so before I go, I call the resort directly and ask them to make sure that I get connecting rooms for the reservations.

Good luck!!!

You can try skyauction.com for your room. They have timeshares they rent out but you don't have to go to a sales meeting. You can get a 1, 2, or 3 bedroom for $200-$300 for 7 nights. Depending on what resort you stay at, you may be able to purchase your passes there for a little less than at the gate.

If you want to stay on property how about staying at Fort Wilderness in the cabins. There is also a full kitchen there. The poly will hold 5 and one under 1 in a crib but I think that would be crowded.

kenpg72 - If you are talking about a DVC resort, the CM should be shot. 7 in a one bedroom exceeds room occupancy by two, even with one under the age of 3. I hope you were talking about a off site location instead. As a DVC owner, this really bothers me.

When your family is larger (especially if you have really young ones)- in my experience you do better calling to make reservations than online. That's what I usually have to do when we travel (family of 5- my youngest NOW is 2yrs old).
With our family, at the ages the children are now, we need nothing more than a double bed room. But if you put all 5 of us in any search engine/rates quote thing online- it goes berzerk (haha) and tells you that you have too many people. We really are not more than any other 4 person family until they get older (especially because my youngest didn't even need a crib! She was a cosleeping nurser!!!) Even now- like for instance our stay in San Antonio this past summer... the kids all 3 fit fine in the double bed (2yr old inbetween the older two). *yep, we had to call on that one too- trying to book it online it kept telling me too many guests and I was afraid to just not count the youngest in case we got there and was refused the room because of it!*

But usually when I call I get no hassles. And I really don't see why in MY case we should get any hassles. They don't usually count a 1yr old- why a 2yr old? 1yr olds with cribs are actually taking more room than my co-sleeping 2yr old. Yanno?

Anywho- my suggestion would be to call to book by phone. You'll have no luck at all booking online. I can tell you that right now. Give up the ghost on that one. LOL

(ps. I'm trying to figure out our next trip at ASMo or a moderate and I think I will have to call about this. Because there is no way I'm putting my kids in another room! Think about it- they'll be 2 almost 3yrs old, 5 and just turned 9yrs old at that time. WHO out of those kids could I put in another room, even with a connecting door? I just couldn't do it. They are too young. Not unless they could weld the other room's door leading out of that room could I sleep with them in there- even with the connecting door to our rooms left open. LOL)

OH yeah... I guess I could sleep in one room with some kids and hubby in the other room with one. But to be honest, if they MAKE us get two rooms- we're gonna end up sleeping on the 2 double beds in one room and the other room won't be used. :(

I obviously need to shut up at this point. LOL But I just thought of something... if they say I have to do that... then maybe I'll just talk my sister and her family to come and take up the other room.
Oh wait... they probably wouldn't allow that either and want us to get another room for them (they are 2 adults, just turned 3yr old, just turned 6yr old but... they family-bed/family co-sleep/whatever it's called. Yes, you heard me right- they ALL still sleep in one bed. The oldest only sleeps in her bedroom when her cousins (my kid(s) sleep over with her in that room) -So trust me... the one bedroom would be enough for them. :) )
*sigh*

Aren't big families great? I'm one of 6 children myself. We could never afford a real vacation with that many kids so we went camping every year. It's not just Disney, but the whole travel industry that makes it difficult for larger families to vacation.

When planning a trip to WDW a few years ago, my sister learned that the only affordable way for her, BIL and the 4 kids to go was to load up the camper and drive from NJ to Orlando. Certainly not everyone's idea of a vacation but it was the only way they were going to get to see the World while the kids were still young.

They stayed at Fort Wilderness and had the Length of Stay passes. I'm pretty sure that she booked it thru a TA. They had a wonderful time. Of course, my sis still had all the cooking, cleaning and general housekeeping duties that she had at home, so I'm not so sure that it was much of a vacation for her but she said that she had fun.

My best advise would be to examine the various packages to see what they affer and if you really want everything that they include. Then, eliminate what you don't want and cost it out à la carte.

The only real difference in costs between on-site and off-site will be your room(s). I don't know of any onsite resort rooms that will accommodate 6 except 2-bedroom villas. Even off-site, most occupancy rates are for a maximum of 5 people per room. You may be able to rent a vacation home or condo that sleeps more.

I hope you can find something that fits your family, schedule and budget.

Thanks to all for your posts. They not only confirmed what I have found, but gave me some new ideas (like the skyauction). I had already booked HIFS at a good rate I think (109.50) for a the family two-room suite. That room sleeps six legally! I've seen the rates lower than that and will keep watching since I have so much time (see countdown) and will check out the timeshares (without the 90-minute sales pitch).

Does it really make that much of a diffrence if you add one extra kid in the room? I dont think anyone would care or even say anything. I would understand if it were extra grown ups, but I know my girls all like to sleep together (and lots of times they LIKE to sleep on the floor) so wheres the harm? We're still debating on where to stay (a friend has points they are going to sell us) and I don't know if I want to spend the extra money to get a 2 bedroom. It just seems so much more expensive when I know we can all fit very comfortable in a smaller room.

Regarding disneyfirsttimer question:
Yes it makes a difference. The hotels have legal room limits. They do make exceptions with infants and sometimes will stretch it to toddlers. You and I know our kids will sleep on the floor very happily, but I can see there has to be limits for safety and liability on the part of the hotel. When we stay overnight while traveling through a place, (roadside), they will often let us go, but staying a week is another story. Anyway, our children are getting big (they'll be 7, 8, 10, and 11 at WDW) and I wouldn't want to squeeze into one room for 6 nights. See my other post for our plans.

Hi, I'm also a family of six and have stayed onsite at the wilderness homes and off site at the hifs. The wilderness homes were great but the hifs is a better deal. That time of the year hoilday inn runs specials. Buy one room get second one at half price. Put yourself on the mailing list and they will email you whenever a special comes up. We couldn't believe how close this place was to the parks. I think you will enjoy it here if you decide to stay. The free breakfast was definitely a great perk. Gina

Disnee Dad Says...............................As far as packages go, I would strongly suggest you stay away from them. You can beat any package plan if you book yourself. We have booked HIFS, and canceled twice! It sounds like a great place, but we are only three, so a better deal always comes up. I think it would work great for you. Three sets of TV's and room to strech out a bit, and all under your control!

I just got a really really good deal for HIFS through Dreams Unlimited. Much better than the one you currently have. Might want to check it out. Might depend on your dates though.

We are a family of 5 (3 kids none under 3 anymore) and so staying on site has become costly for us. Package deals usually aren't your best way to go. I save a lot more money putting everything together myself. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I wish that Disney was more accomodating for its larger families who still have to live off the same income as smaller families do.

:earsgirl:

I talked to a lady from Disney (on the phone) regarding this particular subject. I was told it was due to fire code. We are a family of five (children 8,5,4) and we always stay at POR (the only moderate that will have 5) Anyway, the thing I don't totally understand is that if it is due to fire code (room size) then why cant they accomodate 5 at another moderate as well since the square footage is about the same at all moderates. And, when Disney decides to add "value resorts" why cant at least some room accomodate 5 or 6? Its very frustrating as we really enjoy staying on site but if we would ever have another child it does not give us alot of options on property.

and it is for safety reasons. You should ALWAYS have everyone staying in your room listed on the registration as this is the only way in an emergency to determine who is in the hotel. If (for arguements sake) there was any sort of major disaster at your hotel while you were staying there and they were searching for survivors don't you want them to be looking for all of you?

I have worked in management at hotels for 10+ years and never understood why people feel justified in getting around this. It does not matter how many people are in each bed, it is how many people per square foot. Usually 2 children under 10 count for one adult. But those regulations are not set by Disney (or any other hotel) but by the profession judgement of the Fire Marshall and the measurements he/she takes.

And we are a family of 6 so I understand the difficulty in affording vacations. I jus don't think this is a good way around this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter