Package vs. Room only & tickets

threeboysmom

Living the dream - near Disney!
Is there an advantage to booking a package through Disney rather than booking your room and then getting your tickets? It doesn't look like there is a price difference or discount when you buy the package, so is there any advantage to it? The reason why I'm asking is I finally decided on trip dates yesterday and booked my air tickets (YEA!!), now I want to book my hotel. Since the ticket structure has changed, I'm no where near deciding what kind of tickets to buy yet, but want to go ahead and reserve my room. Would it be better to wait and book a package?

I guess I'm just wondering why Disney would offer a MYW package, but not offer any sort of discount on it versus just getting a room & tickets....

From what I understand...there is no price difference...aka no discount for purchasing tickets & room together. However, you get some little gift-type thing, I believe for purchasing the package. For me, the package will be worth it, because I can add the dining option and save a little moola in the long run. ::MickeyMo

Same here...this is my first year booking the entire trip on my own because I was able to get better deals doing things separate than doing a package. I booked my air back in January since the airfare was cheaper, as well as my hotel because those two items are the most important to book first. I was able to obtain discounts booking things separate so for my trip it was the way to go.

Ditto- We saved over $500, w/ the dining package.

Our room went to rack ($99 for Pop). We lost the AAA discount(around $125), but still came out ahead.

If you are not interested in the dining- I think it is cheaper to go w/ booking room w/ whatever discount you can find, and buying tickets at a discount, from ticketmania, or whereever.

I'm trying to decide what to do, for our December trip. The dining plan won't save us as much, since, my oldest DD, is now the adult price. She was quite the bargain, last month at $10/day.

Keep in mind, that if you are lucky enough to get an email, or postcard rate, on the room, many have reported being able to add the dining, and still get the reduced room rate. I think that is the only way to add the dining to a reduced room rate.

Good luck deciding! You're one step ahead of me- I really want some good airfare prices.

From what I understand you can still book a package thru AAA & get the room
discount. This is what I will be doing for our next trip. :cool1:

I guess I'm just wondering why Disney would offer a MYW package, but not offer any sort of discount on it versus just getting a room & tickets....
The "family of 4 vacation for $1500 promotion" along with the Happiest Celebration on Earth is doing very well in getting people to Disney.

I think Disney is looking at it this way - with the new pricing structure of the MYW tickets, the perceived value of the tickets is greater the longer one stays - in other words, when guests stay 7 days and in effect get the tickets for about half of the gate price, that is the discount that Disney is giving you....

-Joe

threeboysmom said:
Is there an advantage to booking a package through Disney rather than booking your room and then getting your tickets? It doesn't look like there is a price difference or discount when you buy the package, so is there any advantage to it? ..

Here is the benefit to booking room only plus Key To The World Tickets (the kind of tickets that are on your room key)...

You can cancel your room up to 5 days in advance of arrival and get a full refund on the Room AND Tickets. If you cancel inside of 5 days you will have to pay 1 nt room and tax penalty but still get a refund on the tickets. You can change your reservation up until the day prior at no penalty for a future date. Also you can change the type of tickets at any time and you can get different tickets for each member of your family.

If you book a package there are penalties for cancelling or changing the reservation inside of 45 days. $100 for 6-44 days to cancel and $200 for 5 days or less to cancel. If you are getting a discounted room at say a Value or Moderate it might come out cheaper to cancel the room plus tickets. Also if you book a package everyone on the reservation must get the same type of tickets. It will cost you a minimum of $10,maximum of $60 to change your package at any time inside of 45 days.

Hope this helps...If you don't do the dining plan then room plus tickets may be the way to go, just make sure you get Key To The World Tickets and are not mailed them or set up for will call.

:earsboy: :cool1: :earsboy:

Thanks for all the replies! They were all very helpful. I've decided to go with booking the room and tickets separately. How do I go about getting the Keys to the World type tickets? I'm probably going to book through Dreams Unlimited here on this site.

What is the advantage of "room to the world" type tickets? We decided to book a package directly through Disney and add the dining option because I was lucky and got one of the codes for adding the dining option for free. Otherwise, my plans was to do everything separately, book room with AAA discount, already had flights, and get tickets through ticketmania. Right now I'm considering "investing" in the future and getting the 10 day unlimited pass from ticketmania, not for this trip, for for another time. Is there a huge advantage to always trying for "key to the world" tickets directly through Disney???

I can give you my very recent experience.....

I was always an advocate of booking separatly. I wait for codes.. look for budget ways to get tickets etc. We usually eat at two to three sit down / character dinners, and the rest counter service.

This year, I booked POR with a PIN at 106.00 per night with Taxes for FOUR nights. (424.00)
I was going to buy two 4 day passes from ticketmania (parkhoppers, $436.00)

SO far, that is $860.00.
Plus my costs of food for me and my 10 yr old..... 'Ohana dinner, Sci Fi Lunch and Chef Mickey Breakfast plus counter service/ snacks for 5 days we budgeted around 400.00.

So.. the total was approx 1260.00

Yesterday, I started thinking about the dining package... and how, although he is 10, and I have to pay full price for him, I could make it work if I play the game (paying for his kids meal if that is what he wants).
When I called CRO, she applied the PIN to a package.. and the total was $1108!!
So, we have saved $152.00 - plus, we will eat a lot better. I will pay for a few kids meals here and there.... but overall, this is the first time that a package has worked better for us.

My advice... play with the numbers - call CRO and see what they can do! AND always ask for a PIN!
Catrin :flower:

A pin is a code that was attached to my name when I called CRO. I got a great CRO cast member, and during the conversation, I asked that if I had a discount pin attached to my name.... it took a few minutes, but then he came back with that Rate.
Yes, I was lucky! But it never hurts to ask!
Catrin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter