Package or no package? Advice needed.

DisFam95

DIS Veteran
ok I think we're going back to the World in June!!! :banana: We have not been in years and when we did we were DVC. We have sold that so will be doing things the old fashioned way.

So what's the best way to do this :confused3.

Do most people do packages or do they go al a carte w/ room and tickets etc. What about the meal plans? I feel so locked in deciding now what meals I'm going to eat. We mostly do counter service w/ the 2 young ones but we have always done a character meal, LeCellier, Mexico sit down, Artist Point when we go.

Any advice appreciated on our planning!

I rarely take the package. Having an AP gets me great room only pricing, plus I do not use most of the package components (discounts at Palnet Hollywood for food and merchandise, water craft rental, video arcade minutes, etc).

Plus the cancelation period for a package is very short. I think you have to pay a penalty if you cancel within 45 or 60 days before arrival. The room only ressie can be canceled up 1 week before arrival.

The one time I did a package was a couple of years ago to get 3 nights free and a $200 gift card. That made it worth it.

AP is probably not an option since we are likely not going back w/i a year. My inclination is to steer away from packages since they often include stuff you won;t use. I just did not know if things had changes ..probably not huh.

This is our second time going in two years....and our second package. We only do it if we get the free meal plan though. So we get a hotel, park tickets, and meals for our five day stay. We drive in so we don't do a flight. But for us the package definitely saves on food costs. For example; A funnel cake is about $7.00 at the parks, but your meal plan allows each person to get a snack each day. (sad news is that funnel cakes cannot be purchased on the snack). We like the package.

You don't have to be locked into what meals you will eat if you do the DDP, you can do the quick service plan and choose which meals you want, when. But if you want to eat at those TS places you might want to consider the regular DDP it may save you some $$. Also June is a busier time so ADR's are neccessary at most places to eat at traditional times, of those listed you will need ADR's for LeCellier (the single hardest place to get into), the charecter meal (walk ups might be available at DHS meal and the Swan/Dolphin breakfast), Artist point and San Angel Inn you might get a walk up at, San Angel at lunch you probably have a better shot. Unfortunately traveling during peak and most times of the year now with DDP does not allow for alot of spontaneity in dining choices unless you just want to go with the luck of the draw, but at times (peak times and free dining) this could get you shut out of most meals on property.

For us, discounted tickets from UT (10 day non-expiring hoppers b/c we know we will be back....), room only with discount, and buying our food is the best deal. We eat breakfast in room most days (saves $, but mainly time....). We usually only do a couple to TS meals a trip. And, the portions are large enough on many of the CS meals that we can split. It seems to be the most economical for us! Plus, we aren't locked into anything! We can eat as we please....

There is no price savings to booking a package. You may get a few freebies like a round of mini golf, or arcade credits, something like that. But thats it. There is no price savings to doing a package. The only exception to that rule is if they are running a free dining package. And in that case you may end up saving money using the free dining. But you would need to look at the places you want to eat and see if it comes out in your favor. If you don't eat desserts with a CS meal, or possibly share meal between the kids, then the dining plan probably won't benefit you.

Regarding planning now what you want to eat, you really have no choice regardless of if you do the dining plan or not. Due to the dining plans popularity, if you want to eat at any of the more popular restaurants (character meals included) you need to book well in advance. Especially if you want to eat at a regular meal time. If you can get away with eating at off hours, 3:30, 10:00 etc, then you have a little more freedom in making your choices. But with the exceptions of maybe Restaurant Marrakesh and some of the resort TS you will need to make reservations in advance. Many of the TS will tell you that its a 2 hour wait if they will even let you in.

We do the package with the quick meal plan - that way it is just us & our key to the world. & my camera.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter