Packable ponchos

SwanVT2

DIS Veteran
Does anyone know where I can get light packable ponchos? This is to have on hand for the Kali River rides. We always get soaked and we are traveling Feb 28-early March.

I bought a 20 pack of disposable ponchos off Amazon. I don't remember how much the 20 pack was, but it was pretty cheap. They're a one use poncho.

What I do is to take the poncho but leave it in its little bag. I then put that in a Ziploc sandwich bag. There's no way I can fold up a wet poncho so that it would go back in its original bag, but I can get it in the Ziploc bag without a problem.

I used the ones I bought at Walmart camping section for $1 on Kali. I disposed of it after the ride. I also have the more expensive Disney ponchos for rain storms. I have had some of these for 10+ years (The old yellow ones, if you remember) without ripping. Yes more expensive but clearly a good investment for how long they have lasted.

Don't all the ponchos have to be see-thru now? The old ones (gosh, remember that see of yellow on rainy days in the parks - LOL!) wouldn't be allowed now, I think. I grabbed the $1 ones from the dollar store, and even though they looked white in their little bags, they are see-thru. And amazingly, we didn't need them even once! Fabulous!

I get mine at Family Dollar, but I'll be honest, they don't really help much on Kali. They work better for Splash Mountain, but the absolute soaking of Kali just goes right around these things. I usually just use it to sit on and keep my wallet in the little bag it came in.

Don't all the ponchos have to be see-thru now? The old ones (gosh, remember that see of yellow on rainy days in the parks - LOL!) wouldn't be allowed now, I think. I grabbed the $1 ones from the dollar store, and even though they looked white in their little bags, they are see-thru. And amazingly, we didn't need them even once! Fabulous!
I have never heard this. Even the Disney ponchos are opaque, not clear. Just read the regulations right on the wdw site and nowhere in it were ponchos even mentioned.

We have Disney ponchos that have lasted through 2 trips so far but I think I want to invest in Ikea ponchos. They fold up really small but are nylon instead of plastic and have a pocket. They are fairly inexpensive for a "high" quality poncho and should last us forever

Really? We've always taken big red and blue ponchos and just kept them in a drawstring backpack until we needed them. This is the first I've heard of them needing to be see-through. :confused3

I've used the ones from the Dollar Tree and they are worthless to us - sleeveless, and without adjustable straps they don't stay on your head. I just bought good quality ponchos from Dick's for $4.99 - they are Dick's brand and I found them near the check-out.

Really? We've always taken big red and blue ponchos and just kept them in a drawstring backpack until we needed them. This is the first I've heard of them needing to be see-through. :confused3
We took blue ones in January and a whole lot of people had opaque colored ponchos-red, blue, yellow, green, purple

See-thru?? Not that I've ever heard. Our ponchos are bright blue and safety orange and are no where close to see-thru. We just used them in January. They're heavier duty Coleman and Totes ones from the camping aisle at Target not the $1 disposable ones. Those $1 ones are truely disposable and strictly for emergencies. The cheapy ones are not a lot of help on Kali if you really want to stay dry.

Don't all the ponchos have to be see-thru now? The old ones (gosh, remember that see of yellow on rainy days in the parks - LOL!) wouldn't be allowed now, I think. [snip]

As PP said, I don't think Disney requires ponchos to be see-through now. I think they just realized the difficulties the sea of yellow caused - everyone looked alike, and I'll be there were more "lost parents"! So now the Disney ponchos show individual clothing (color, at least) through them so groups can stay together better - and the non-Disney ponchos don't match.

Another vote for the Dollar Store at $1.00. ...or Target, in the camping section, has translucent/colored Coleman disposable ponchos for ...like...$1.49, if I remember correctly.

There is no rule that they are not allowed. Disney now sells the "opaque" ponchos, since nobody could tell their family members apart from strangers when everyone was a sea of yellow. However, there is no rule about what color ponchos anybody else can bring in.

There is no rule that they are not allowed. Disney now sells the "opaque" ponchos, since nobody could tell their family members apart from strangers when everyone was a sea of yellow. However, there is no rule about what color ponchos anybody else can bring in.

That's what I meant, meaning you could see the color of the clothing underneath. I guess I should have said "opaque"! So fancy!! LOL! But I guess I am thinking of places other than Disney. Thank you to those that verified that opaque ponchos are allowed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!