Pack food or shop upon arrival?

I thought I had already posted this but as per the posts above. Its not like you are going to some isolated vacation spot that only has some little corner store to shop for food.

The area is a major metropolitan center with everything you would expect in your home town. Though there is one place you shouldn't shop at is Goodings in the Crossroads. I have heard its very expensive.

But anyway lets say it was 20% more for groceries. Think of it this way, what is your alternative? Eating every meal in a restaurant which would cost a lot more. :thumbsup2
Yes, I know the Orlando area isn't some podunk town with limited choices for groceries. I'm just a budget shopper and I needed some advice on where to save the most money when we won't be eating out. Thanks for your tip about Goodings!

I didn't like the Walmart where we shopped, but, I normally don't shop at Walmart. I am not sure whether we went to the same Walmart, because, I am sure that there is more than one Walmart in the general vicinity of WDW. It may have been the time of day we shopped, or they may have revamped Walmart since we were there (it was probably 7 years ago that we last went to Walmart near Disney). Specifically, we went late on a Saturday or Sunday night, after the parks closed to buy things we might want for breakfast while at Disney. I discovered that fruit was way more expensive in Florida than in Indiana, and the selection and quality wasn't as good. Couldn't find any bananas in the store that I wanted to pay the price they were asking. The apples looked bad, but, we got a couple. We are leaving to go this Sunday, and I plan to bring some mini-muffins, which I buy, believe it or not, at Sam's club, some fruit, probably English muffins, peanut butter (in the Jif to go packs), a small jar of jelly. We will stop to get milk, orange juice, etc, at the Publix that is near AKL on 192 (I think).

Yes, I know the Orlando area isn't some podunk town with limited choices for groceries. I'm just a budget shopper and I needed some advice on where to save the most money when we won't be eating out. Thanks for your tip about Goodings!

Based on my shopping and what I have read here Walmart, or maybe Super Target, would be the best for cost. But just like around my town. Walmart doesn't always have things like the best produce or have a real meat counter with a butcher. We, actually I, shop at Walmart at least once every two weeks, but Giant Eagle is is our everyday and much closer grocery store.

The other major player is Publix. I think you can sign up for their shopper's card and save even more but for us its just not something we worry about for the small amount of food we would buy.

The other major player is Publix. I think you can sign up for their shopper's card and save even more but for us its just not something we worry about for the small amount of food we would buy.
I'll have to go online and look at their circular...since I'll be shopping for my family of 7 I might save a good amount if I sign up for that card :thumbsup2

Publix hands down has much better produce than Walmart and Target (most of the time). They are a touch more expensive than Walmart (bananas $.69/lb at Publix and $.59/lb at Walmart. We used to do most if our shopping at Walmart to save $$$ but after food rotting 2 days after purchase and touches of food poisoning we stick to Publix. They have sales every week and depending on the day you are coming in the sales start on Thursdays but this website www.iheartpublix.com has the ad items posted on Mondays. If you need help let me know I a. Very budget conscious and shop at Publix once a week :)

There are several Wal-Marts near WDW the one on Turkey Lake I would NEVER go to The one I am talking about if you drive down Hotel Plaza Blvd and exit making a wide right (The Crossings will be directly in front of you) make a wide right because if you are in the nearest right hand lane you will end up on the I-4 going towards Tampa Not what you want to do Stay on this road approx 5 -6
miles SR 535 W Vineland not sure what you call it you will see outlets on your left keep going not far There will be a Hess gas station on the right and this is where you make your turn Polynesian Isle Road then get into the lane to make a left You will be entering the Super Wal-Mart parking lot

I don't own stock in Wal-Mart or anything but this is where I do my shopping, Wal-Mart quality and prices vary wherever you go This place has awesome produce and yes butchers right there...everyone has great advice and opinions..just wanted to share mine :thumbsup2

:rotfl2: that would be where we live aka "Green Acres" but we love it for the land and the peace and quiet off the beaten trail We have which we could have never have had in NY and for the close proximity to the mouse Best of both worlds

:rotfl2: that would be where we live aka "Green Acres" but we love it for the land and the peace and quiet off the beaten trail We have which we could have never have had in NY and for the close proximity to the mouse Best of both worlds

I think sometimes, and I'm not talking about the OP, people think "Orlando" is just one big tourist trap and there are no "real" people there that have to buy food for their families. :goodvibes

In your PP you say the two Walmarts are so different I've been to both but have no real way to compare them since when we went to the "good" one it was the day before school started and super crowded, at 9 to 10 PM on a Sunday :crazy2: . I like Walmart because except for the wine and beer in the middle of the store its laid out pretty much the same as Super Walmarts here. As for having a butcher, none of them around here have anything close. Everything comes out of the back room already wrapped at some meat packing plant.

Now for us if we want super fancy we go to a Market District Giant Eagle. Its the kind of place thats a regular Giant Eagle but with things like a cheese shop with 500 cheeses from around the world and an olive oil bar with tastings. :thumbsup2

Trust me Chartle if you go you will be pleasantly surprised and be assertive talk to the staff a real butcher will come out for you and get you anything you want
I have done this many times Now I will google your market and go there to see what I like I will say Goodings (yes expensive for a family) but if only one or 2 people I would go there, they have nice gourmet to go food Publix for a celebration cake hands down :thumbsup2

edited- I just found your Giant Market Eagle and its only Giant Eagle is a full service grocery store, serving the Ohio, West Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania markets -

So now that we know THAT my opinion of where I shopweekly/ regularly superceeds your opinion of MY store as YOU are a tourist LOL

we are staying at art of animation resort for 2 weeks, and I will have to go to walmart at some point. I wont be driving and I don't fancy getting the bus, how much roughly will it cost me in a taxi?
also whats the address/zipcode of the 'better' store?

we are staying at art of animation resort for 2 weeks, and I will have to go to walmart at some point. I wont be driving and I don't fancy getting the bus, how much roughly will it cost me in a taxi?
also whats the address/zipcode of the 'better' store?

Polynesian Isle Road next time I go I will get the actual address and phone number and come back here and post it Mears taxi unofficial/official cab company on Disney property has a website I believe for you to get an estimate
There are other cab companies but Mears most popular and waiting outside each park & resort usually

At Publix on line you can find the store you are going to shop at, with AD and print out a list, It will print by aisle for that store, don't forget your coupons. This way you won't forget anything.

They have the best Bakery and Deli items. Lots of choices, Publix store brands are very good and we are super picky about these kinds of items.

You can also use Garden Grocer to delivery to your resort, so you won't have to even stop. They have good review on here. My friends used them last year and they were very happy with this service.

Polynesian Isle Road next time I go I will get the actual address and phone number and come back here and post it Mears taxi unofficial/official cab company on Disney property has a website I believe for you to get an estimate
There are other cab companies but Mears most popular and waiting outside each park & resort usually

that's great thanks. how far roughly is it? if its more than half hour drive away I might not bother. we are hoping to try the florida mall aswell, would that be anywhere close to that walmart?

Just go to the Publix. It is very close to Pop Century area. They are a great grocery store and will have everything you need. They also have a lot of deals but you don't have to be a card holding member (like we have up here at our grocery stores in NC). They are good priced and a great huge FL chain! GPS will get you there.

that's great thanks. how far roughly is it? if its more than half hour drive away I might not bother. we are hoping to try the florida mall aswell, would that be anywhere close to that walmart?

here is map of the florida mall and the grocery stores around it. there is a super walmart but not the one in the PP.

http://goo.gl/maps/6f7dQ

this is the walmart referenced above.

http://goo.gl/maps/WMnD5

Just go to the Publix. It is very close to Pop Century area. They are a great grocery store and will have everything you need. They also have a lot of deals but you don't have to be a card holding member (like we have up here at our grocery stores in NC). They are good priced and a great huge FL chain! GPS will get you there.
That's what I'm thinking...I like Wal Mart well enough at home at but I don't really like their produce. I also like that Publix has a circular online so I can look at that before we arrive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter