Pack a toaster?

cbellasmomma

Mouseketeer
Hi there! New to the Budget Board :wave:

Has anyone ever packed a toaster to take with them and is the resort ok with that? I am staying at the Poly. It will be just me and dd for all or most of the trip. DD is a late sleeper. Rather than dragging her out of bed earlier to get a quick CS breakfast, I would rather get myself ready, make her a bagel and then wake her up right before we have to leave. Thoughts?

Has anyone ever packed a toaster to take with them and is the resort ok with that? I am staying at the Poly. It will be just me and dd for all or most of the trip. DD is a late sleeper. Rather than dragging her out of bed earlier to get a quick CS breakfast, I would rather get myself ready, make her a bagel and then wake her up right before we have to leave. Thoughts?

There are rooms on property with kitchens, perhaps one of those would be better for you.

There are toasters in the food court of every resort. You can use those. The only rooms in which cooking appliances are permitted to be used are those with a kitchen, which another poster has already pointed out. So, if you're staying in one of the new Poly vacation studios, there will be a toaster in the room.

There are toasters in the food court of every resort. You can use those. The only rooms in which cooking appliances are permitted to be used are those with a kitchen, which another poster has already pointed out. So, if you're staying in one of the new Poly vacation studios, there will be a toaster in the room.

I gave my reasoning for not wanting to use the food court. I won't have anyone with me to run down and make/get breakfast and bring it back. I didn't realize toasters were such a hot topic (pun intended).

You could take cereal, granola bars, and fruit. Then buy milk in the gift shop. That's what we do. :). Have a fun trip!!

I gave my reasoning for not wanting to use the food court. I won't have anyone with me to run down and make/get breakfast and bring it back. I didn't realize toasters were such a hot topic (pun intended).
Um..no, you said you didn't want to drag her out of bed for a QS breakfast. That's not the same as one person dashing off to food court in order to toast a bagel. Were we supposed to infer from your first post that you were traveling alone with the child?

Cooking in the room is a hot-button topic. No one wants to be subjected to the odor of burnt toast or worse emanating from their neighbor's room and wafting through the air vents into their own room and the hallways. In addition, as another person pointed out, cooking appliances pose a fire hazard that you not only expose your family to, but also innocent families that are in rooms near yours.

Perhaps your daughter will be content with untoasted bagels for a few mornings? Or maybe you can find some other kind of breakfast that will not require heating? Cereal and milk? Yogurt and some fruit? Granola and juice? Even a PB&J sandwich would not be a horrible choice for breakfast.

It will be just me and dd for all or most of the trip.

Um..no, you said you didn't want to drag her out of bed for a QS breakfast. That's not the same as one person dashing off to food court in order to toast a bagel. Were we supposed to infer from your first post that you were traveling alone with the child?

Any chance your daughter would go for untoasted? We actually prefer ours that way but I know we are in the minority there.

Cooking in the room is a hot-button topic. No one wants to be subjected to the odor of burnt toast or worse emanating from their neighbor's room and wafting through the air vents into their own room and the hallways. In addition, as another person pointed out, cooking appliances pose a fire hazard that you not only expose your family to, but also innocent families that are in rooms near yours.

Perhaps your daughter will be content with untoasted bagels for a few mornings? Or maybe you can find some other kind of breakfast that will not require heating? Cereal and milk? Yogurt and some fruit? Granola and juice? Even a PB&J sandwich would not be a horrible choice for breakfast.

You don't need to infer I said "It will be just me and dd for all or most of the trip"

I didn't realize toasters weren't allowed so my sincere apologies for asking. I will figure it out. Thanks!

Were we supposed to infer from your first post that you were traveling alone with the child?

The OP literally said, and I quote, "It will be just me and DD for all or most of the trip." No inferring needed, she was clear about that.

• OP, I get what you're saying. It's already been pointed out that you'll be best not to bring a toaster, but since you should have a fridge, you'll have lots of other breakfast in the room options. We like yogurt, breakfast/granola bars, and instant oatmeal (with water from the coffee maker). :) And how lucky are you to have a daughter that likes to sleep in! My son does as well, and it's way better than having him up at 6am like many other kiddos.

I have read other posts from people who use toasters, crock pots, etc. when they travel to Disney in regular hotel rooms. They are probably afraid to post because others will pounce. While I personally have never done this I don't know that I'd mind if the person in the room next to mine used a toaster. As long as you use it safely (don't use it while you are in the shower) I would think you will be fine.

Otherwise, granola bars might be easier for a quick on the go breakfast.

Have a great vacation. I've done serval trips with just me and the kids and it has worked out great. If you ever need a hand there are always friendly families around to help.

We are going to do packaged mini muffins/coffee cakes and a bottle of V8 juice (I am packing them in my suitcase and hoping that will give enough room for souvenirs on the way home). Not necessarily the ideal breakfast but I spoke to my children about wanting something they can grab and go (often times they are not quite ready for breakfast right away so I figure they can eat while we are waiting for the parks to open) and this is what they requested. My requirements were portable and something they actually will eat (we aren't huge on breakfast but I don't want to get into the parks and use the high quality am time getting them food).

The OP literally said, and I quote, "It will be just me and DD for all or most of the trip." No inferring needed, she was clear about that.

• OP, I get what you're saying. It's already been pointed out that you'll be best not to bring a toaster, but since you should have a fridge, you'll have lots of other breakfast in the room options. We like yogurt, breakfast/granola bars, and instant oatmeal (with water from the coffee maker). :) And how lucky are you to have a daughter that likes to sleep in! My son does as well, and it's way better than having him up at 6am like many other kiddos.
Thank you :) It will be magical even it is toastless. She isn't a big breakfast eater and I'm sure I will have a hard time getting her to eat when she will want to just go (once she wakes up of course lol) but if I can figure out a way to get us to Disney, I can figure out a quick toasterless breakfast! Thanks again.

We are going to do packaged mini muffins/coffee cakes and a bottle of V8 juice (I am packing them in my suitcase and hoping that will give enough room for souvenirs on the way home). Not necessarily the ideal breakfast but I spoke to my children about wanting something they can grab and go (often times they are not quite ready for breakfast right away so I figure they can eat while we are waiting for the parks to open) and this is what they requested. My requirements were portable and something they actually will eat (we aren't huge on breakfast but I don't want to get into the parks and use the high quality am time getting them food.

Oh she does love those mini muffin packs! You are right they aren't ideal but I don't want her to not eat and then have to buy something just as bad for you there. Maybe those and OJ or milk. She unfortunately will not do cold cereal. She isn't a picky eater except for breakfast.
This (often times they are not quite ready for breakfast right away so I figure they can eat while we are waiting for the parks to open) is what I was trying to work around!

Personally, I don't see a toaster being that different from a coffee maker, which they provide, so I don't really see it as a huge deal. And I've seen plenty of people mentioning bringing toasters and hot plates and their own coffee makers. (And before everyone jumps all over me, we mostly camp, so technically I bring my whole kitchen with me, but it's perfectly acceptable and I don't fall within this group.) But if you're curious, why not call the hotel and ask?

But if you can't bring a toaster, you have a fridge, so:

Bring those individual bowls of cereal, and buy milk when you get there and put it in your fridge
Fruit
Yogurt
Instant oatmeal (hot water from coffee pot)
Those squeezable apple sauce thingys, they have tons of flavors and my kids go nuts for them
Granola bars
Pop tarts (my DS doesn't heat his)

I know it's expensive, but if you're desperate in the morning you could order room service for breakfast. I'd rather start my day with a happy, well fed, well rested child than me stressed out or rushed. Good luck whatever you decide to do. I'm sure you'll have wonderful trip. The Poly is beautiful and very fun!

We always have breakfast in our room. We have an assortment of muffins, cereals, fruit, bagels and cream cheese. My kids do like them untoasted so its not an issue. You could even do oatmeal packets and use the hot water from the coffee maker.

I don't understand why a toaster is any more than a fire hazard than those coffee pots are. Case in point, last week I made coffee in the morning and left the pot on so dh could grab a cup. We got ourselves ready and out of the room by 11 AM. We spent the day in the city and didn't get back to the room until almost 8PM. Turns out dh never did get that cup of coffee and the pot was on the entire time. Housekeeping came while we were getting ready and we told them we didn't need anything so they never came to make up the room after we had left.
The ironic thing is that a toaster wouldn't stay on that long.

What about using the food court toaster to toast a few bagels, take them back to the room, wrap them in foil, and use the iron to warm one up in the morning? (I don't eat bagels, so don't know if the 'toasted' appeal of a toasted bagel would somehow be lost if you were to do this. But if you think it *might* work, it should be fairly easy to test while you're still at home.)

We always have breakfast in our room. We have an assortment of muffins, cereals, fruit, bagels and cream cheese. My kids do like them untoasted so its not an issue. You could even do oatmeal packets and use the hot water from the coffee maker.

I don't understand why a toaster is any more than a fire hazard than those coffee pots are. Case in point, last week I made coffee in the morning and left the pot on so dh could grab a cup. We got ourselves ready and out of the room by 11 AM. We spent the day in the city and didn't get back to the room until almost 8PM. Turns out dh never did get that cup of coffee and the pot was on the entire time. Housekeeping came while we were getting ready and we told them we didn't need anything so they never came to make up the room after we had left.
The ironic thing is that a toaster wouldn't stay on that long.
Fire codes distinguish them. From the Shades of Green website (right next to Poly and in the same county so same rules apply)
Amenities: All rooms include refrigerator, coffee maker, hair dryer, iron and ironing board, and in-room safe. Due to fire codes, any additional cooking appliances (such as microwaves) are not allowed in guestrooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter