• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pacemaker, Asthma, Milk & Soy Allergies?

Momma Chaos

Earning My Ears
Hi all :) We're planning a trip to Disney in June - we've been there tons before but my son has come up with all these new issues since our last trip. He'll be 2 next month and is allergic to Milk protein (causes severe congestion so that it is hard for him to breath when ingested- causes rash when exposed to skin for example Milk protein body wash)& soy (although allergist is hoping to try soy again this spring sometime). He also has asthma & a pacemaker.. His pacemaker is fairly new (Nov'07) so we're still learning all the do's and don'ts there.. Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions? I'll try doing a search as well!

Thanks!!

Hi and :welcome: to both DisBoards and disABILITIES!

If you click on where it says "disABILTIES" at the top of this page it will take you to the Index. One of the top items is the "disABILTIES FAQ" which will gives lots of useful information, including a lot of dietary related items/links on Page 3..

Or, if you want an easier route, click on the link in my signature.

Hi there!
We took our 4 year old to DW last summer and he has had a pacemaker since he was 18 months old (we teasingly call him the Bionic Boy). I'm not sure about the rest of your child's issues, but we found that we had no problems at Disney with any of the rides that he was able to ride (most of the rides with warnings for heart conditions have height requirements that he didn't qualify for--and he's a very tall 4 year old!) I was initially wary of the monorail since it runs on electromagnetic power, but we even "co-piloted" in the front with no issues. We didn't set off any metal detectors at the park (that does happen occasionally around home), but I had his pacemaker card with me, just in case! We did use a stroller (we don't normally use one) to make sure he didn't get too fatigued with all the heat and walking (we went in July). Even so, we found ourselves going back to the resort each afternoon for a nap (we stayed at Saratoga Springs). But I'd imagine that a stroller is a must for a 2 year old, anyway.
Good luck and feel free to pm me with any questions!
MousekeMommy

Thanks so much MousekeMommy!! Its nice to hear the BTDT stories :) Initially planning the trip I was more concerned about his allergy issues but then realized Hello Pacemaker? !LOL! I guess it's still so new (he's only had it since Nov - 19mo)that long term planning doesn't include it yet..

I just got back from the world with my teen DD who has severe asthma (and coincidentally uses a wheelchair, but that's another story). Of course, everyone's triggers vary, but here's what she had problems with:

-The hay at the petting zoo part of Conservation Station at AK (she's ok with animals, but it would be tough for anyone who wasn't)

-Teppan Edo restaurant in Japan at Epcot (where they cook the food in front of you)

-Smokers. Some do not stay in the smoking areas like they are supposed to, and the smoke will waft out from the designated areas. If yours has a problem with smoke, be sure that your hotel room is away from a designated smoking area. We stayed at French Quarter and had to have our room moved.

She was fine with the fake "smoke" at the parades and on the rides (like the Great Movie Ride).

Good luck!
Mary

Thanks Mary! Definitely the smoking would be a problem for him! I'll be sure to mention it when getting our rooms.. I've stayed in soo many 'non-smoking' rooms that completely reeked of smoke! ugh!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter