• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pace Groups and Corrals - PHM

bobbx5

Earning My Ears
Sorry if this is a dumb question! How do the pace groups relate to corral placement? For example, for the PHM do you have to be in a certain corral to join the 3 hour group? Does the corral placement override pace group? Hope this question makes sense. Thanks!

I think I know what you mean. Corral does override running with the pace group.

True example: For the WDW Half, I submitted a 2:13 time (from Disneyland of all places) and wanted to run with the 2:15 group...however, I was in Corral I and the 2:15 pace group was in Corral H. (I don't get how that happened but that's a minor gripe - maybe runDisney used at my previous year's WDW marathon time where I stopped for about a dozen pix! ==> not the greatest clock time)

Being in the corral ahead of me, the 2:15 pace group started 5 minutes or so ahead of me and I never did see them out on the course. I didn't want to go on an all-out sprint to catch up ith them either as I was running the marathon the next day. So, I relied on my watch. Due to not running the tangents and taking it light, I think I ended up running a 2:20. I never saw any of the other pace groups either for what that is worth.

So, you don't *have* to be in the same corral to join the pace group but it does mean you'll have to accelerate your pace to join the group and therefore end run a better time than the pace group.

Sorry to tell you that. Do you have a GPS watch where you can set a "Virtual Partner"? I have a Garmin that has that function.

Think you got your answer…
But I think that there is info about it at the expo, so do try to find out more.

Thank you! That did answer my question. I guessed it was dependent on the corral but wanted to be sure I understood. And, I will check at expo so I'll know more for the next time (Disneyland in September!).

If you can, I would suggest trying to run a race that WDW will recognize before your event. I ran the marathon this past year, and since I could not prove my time, I was in corral N. Which meant that I was in the group that anticipated a finish of 6:30. I ran it in 5 hrs and 9 minutes. I felt that I was constantly running on the grass because I was passing people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter