• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pacamper

PACAMPER

Earning My Ears
We will be at the Fort for 10 days over X-mas. I am nervous about our propane holding out if we have cold weather. We have a 100lb. on board tank. Does anyone deliver to your site? What do you do? I know alot of you stay longer.

I am only asking, because mine doesnt have any propane tanks, but doesnt everthing that runs on propane also run on electricity.

We added a 'stay a while' fitting. It's just a fitting that goes between your propane tank and regulator. We take an extra 30lb tank and use it if needed, and it can be refilled at the Meadows. You can get the connection at Camping World.:santa:

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but forgive my ignorance, is propane heating what heats most motorhomes.

wrongagain - many MH's are heated with propane, including mine. Many others also have electric heatpumps, but I believe propane is more common.

pacamper - we have camped the past several Decembers at the Fort, and I have found that most mornings I can effectively take the chill off with a couple of those little electric "box" heaters like they sell at Home Depot or Walmart for about $25. That way I only have to use my propane under REALLY cold circumstances...but I've found we don't have too many mornings at the Fort that are that cold. I figure it's best to use Disney's electricity before using my propane!

Yeah, electric heat and or heat pumps as well as forced hot water webasto diesel fired, as well as off the engine.
The coach is all electric, no propane, never thought much about it until I read the original post.
No propane does come in handy being able to go thru tunnels.
Thanks

It's Florida. 100# of propane should last forever. It's not as cold as it is here in the Northeast/ Mid-Atlantic. My MH also has heatpumps in the roof A/c units but they dont work well below 28 degs

I do carry an electric space heater or 2 just in case. I prefer the oil filled radiator style (they are silent) and sell for around $70.00. Remember the camp-site includes Electricity

464773f.jpg

With both of these on the propane heaters only come on a couple of times a day in 10 - 20 deg weather just to keep the enclosed holding tanks from freezing. I can also place a small electric heater or hang a 100 watt light bulb in the holding tank compartment then the propane heaters never come on.

The picture below is from the Hershey RV show this year. Most of the Motor Homes and larger Travel trailers had an axillary electric fireplace/heater in them. Remember the camp-site includes Electricity

IMG_0179.jpg

Looks like the ones the Amish, Lowe's and Home Depot are selling for over $300.00 to me
Costco has them for $170.00 (4600BTU's) I am thinking of add 1 to our MH.

This looks like the one Costco has. Costco only has the Oak finish but that matches the wood in our MH
611768060962.jpg

Remember the camp-site includes Electricity. So why burn up your propane ?

Dear OP'er. My MH is 4 years old. I live in Florida & camp mostly in the winter as summer time is too danged hot. Our propane tank was filled when we first bought the unit & it was the last time it was filled. Altogether we've used maybe 1/4 of the tank - and it's also a 100# tank.

IF you need heat, just turn it on before going to bed & turn it off when you get up. Unless we have a really cold snap, you probably won't need it at all.

In answer to your original question - we did run out of propane in an older unit we had back in 1995 & had to leave the Fort to fill. You can always check at the front desk if you need to.

We've camped in Illinois in Feb already and only used electric heaters. Temp got to 13 one night. No problem in the 01 class "C". You should be fine.

We've camped in Illinois in Feb already and only used electric heaters. Temp got to 13 one night. No problem in the 01 class "C". You should be fine.

If the OP has a reverse cycle heat pump on their a/c, that'll work. Although, most heat pumps don't work below 30 degrees. Then the propane heat will kick in. But in reading your post again, it sounds like you used portable electric heaters - which do work quite well. Why use your propane up when you get all the electricity you need with your site??:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter