• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

P90x

#1_Grumpy_Fan

Mouseketeer
Has anyone tried the P90X from Tony Horton? I want to know if it is worth the money and if it really works. I'm just starting to get back into some kind of shape but having a tough time.

Has anyone tried the P90X from Tony Horton? I want to know if it is worth the money and if it really works. I'm just starting to get back into some kind of shape but having a tough time.

It sure does. I just finished my first round (90 Days) on April 5th. I went from 19.7% bodyfat to an amazing 8.5% bodyfat. I followed the program to a T. P90X was designed for those already in shape to get to the next level of fitness. If you are starting from a postion of being out of shape, then you should consider a program designed to build up the strength and stamina for a program like P90X. I started off using Slim in 6, thne moved onto Power90 and finally did P90X when I felt I was physically ready.

However, there are people that have taken on the X without going through other programs first and have still had great results.

I've heard the thing will kick you butt. Listened to Jillian Michaels radio show this past weekend, she actually mentioned it and had nothing but good things to say about it.

Thanks for the replies. A friend of mine just picked it up and will let me try it.

Let us know how it goes. Remember that the kind of results that were shown on the infomercial were achieved by also following the nutrtional guide that comes with the program. The food you eat will attribute 80% towards your results. as the saying goes, "Abs are made in the kitchen."

I have a few friends that swear by it. They burned me a copy of all the videos but I've yet to try them because I don't have anything at home and I think trying to do all this stuff at a gym might be tough. Doable though. Definitely need to stick to the meal plan too though they say. Good luck!

What type of things are on the nutrition plan? Thinking about doing the plan. i have about 3 months before my high school reunion..and need all the help I can get.

What type of things are on the nutrition plan? Thinking about doing the plan. i have about 3 months before my high school reunion..and need all the help I can get.

The nutrition plan is broken down into two segments. The first is based on portions. You are alotted portions of food during the day of different types of foods. For example, the first phase (I'll explain phases in a bit) you are allowed 7 portions of protein, 3 portion of dairy, 1 portion of carb, etc. These portions are then broken down into the exact foods and size which will count as 1 portion. For example, 1 cup of oatmeal equals 1 carb portion.

The second segment of the plan is the meal plan. This plan lays out an entire day's worth of meals and the recipes are given. I did not follow this segment as the portion plan is much easier to follow.

THere are then three phases of eating. The first phase is called "Fat Shredder" and is low on carbs. It comes out to approx. 50% protein, 30% carb, 20% fat. The second phase is called the "Energizer", or something along those lines. It ups the carbs by a bit so now the split is approx. 40% protein, 40% carb, 20 % fat. I never moved onto the third phase cause it was just too carb heavy and is mostly for top tier athletes, from what was explained to me, and the split is approx. 50% carb, 30% protein, 20% fat.

If you follow the nutrition plan while on the program, you will see incredible results. Be aware that this is a muscle building program and while you will shed fat, the scale will not move a whole lot. If you take all of the measurements that are requested, you will see your changes in those numbers. In fact, the best thing to do is get rid of your scale while on the program and only weigh yourself after the 90 days are over. As I mentioned before, I lost 11% of bodyfat during the 90 days and my weight dropped only 6 lbs.

I started a week ago and I can tell you my body is sore all over :) but I love the workouts there fun.

Congrats on getting started. I just started on my second round last week. I am still loving this program.

I will be integrating the One-on-One workouts starting next week. Cannot wait for those to arrive.

What the best thing to do when you miss a day.I missed chest and back to day and I am where I can do Polymatrix in the morning before I leave work but cant do chest and back due to no pull up bar. Should I do Poly and wait til the next day to do chest or back?

Don't worry about missing a day. Do you have resistance bands that you can use instead of the pull-up bar? If not, then do Plyo in the morning and then move onto Shoulders & Arms on Friday and make sure that you have the bands or a pull-up bar for your Chest & Back workout next week.

I am curious about this.....I have been told several times that Tony Horton is a Vegan. I just joined the Beachbody site and am trying to read as much as I can before starting. I also read his recent "rant" on eating healthy and in it he says that many need to keep dairy to a min. or cut it out completely to see results.

I haven't read the thread about what Tony actually eats (apparently his personal chef is on there), but I would like to.

Do you know what Tony himself eats?

Dawn

The nutrition plan is broken down into two segments. The first is based on portions. You are alotted portions of food during the day of different types of foods. For example, the first phase (I'll explain phases in a bit) you are allowed 7 portions of protein, 3 portion of dairy, 1 portion of carb, etc. These portions are then broken down into the exact foods and size which will count as 1 portion. For example, 1 cup of oatmeal equals 1 carb portion.

The second segment of the plan is the meal plan. This plan lays out an entire day's worth of meals and the recipes are given. I did not follow this segment as the portion plan is much easier to follow.

THere are then three phases of eating. The first phase is called "Fat Shredder" and is low on carbs. It comes out to approx. 50% protein, 30% carb, 20% fat. The second phase is called the "Energizer", or something along those lines. It ups the carbs by a bit so now the split is approx. 40% protein, 40% carb, 20 % fat. I never moved onto the third phase cause it was just too carb heavy and is mostly for top tier athletes, from what was explained to me, and the split is approx. 50% carb, 30% protein, 20% fat.

If you follow the nutrition plan while on the program, you will see incredible results. Be aware that this is a muscle building program and while you will shed fat, the scale will not move a whole lot. If you take all of the measurements that are requested, you will see your changes in those numbers. In fact, the best thing to do is get rid of your scale while on the program and only weigh yourself after the 90 days are over. As I mentioned before, I lost 11% of bodyfat during the 90 days and my weight dropped only 6 lbs.

Are you going to get the new Insanity DVDs when they come out? They look SO intense!

I have decided to get Chalean Extreme instead of P90X and will start as soon as they arrive. I have been doing TurboJam and Power 90 but I am not in great shape.....but ready for a challenge.

A personal trainer I spoke with recently actually encouraged folks to jump right in and get Chalean or P90X and just do what you can and build up rather than start with an easier version and build up....not sure what all of his reasoning was, but I think it had to do with pushing yourself more.

Dawn

It sure does. I just finished my first round (90 Days) on April 5th. I went from 19.7% bodyfat to an amazing 8.5% bodyfat. I followed the program to a T. P90X was designed for those already in shape to get to the next level of fitness. If you are starting from a postion of being out of shape, then you should consider a program designed to build up the strength and stamina for a program like P90X. I started off using Slim in 6, thne moved onto Power90 and finally did P90X when I felt I was physically ready.

However, there are people that have taken on the X without going through other programs first and have still had great results.

Dawn - You are partially right. Tony is a vegetarian that eats fish occasionally. The rant that you are talking about was his ideas to get the ultimate results in the absolutely shortest amount of time. In no way would he expect everyone to follow his lead on being a vegetarian. I certainly wouldn't cause I love my steak. As far as dairy is concerned, I am not sure why he feels it should be cut out completely. It might be part of that vegetarian lifetsyle that he leads, so nothing from a living creature. He does drink almond milk and soy milk. The nutrional program does minimize the intake of dairy, though.

I will be getting Insanity once it is available. I have my coach keeping his ears open for me so I can be one of the first to try it out. I cannot wait to try out that program. Everytime I watch the preview video, I get goosebumps. I'm sick that way. :)

The reason why I suggest to start with an easier program is because I believe that someone will get frustrated with the lack of results by jumping into P90X without a base. The changes will not be as drastic as what someone would expect by watching the infomercial because they lack that base. This could cause someone to quit before taking full advantage of what the program offers. This program can also bring on injury because of the level of intensity of some of these moves. Just really my opinion.

I don't know enough about Chalean to give an opinion.

BTW, I am also on the Beachbody message board with the same username (Padstack).

Thanks for the info. guys. It is very helpful. I'll keep you posted on the progress...and most likely look to you guys for some encouragement.

The things that I cant do a full work out on ,I just do as much as i can then keep moving.Pull ups kill me and I also have to drop to my knee on push ups but I am still moving. I just have such a hard time finding a full hour and 15 min to do a work and abs.
So if you miss a day or two do you start where you should be that week or pick up where you left?

The things that I cant do a full work out on ,I just do as much as i can then keep moving.Pull ups kill me and I also have to drop to my knee on push ups but I am still moving. I just have such a hard time finding a full hour and 15 min to do a work and abs.
So if you miss a day or two do you start where you should be that week or pick up where you left?

I woud start where you left off.

As for Ab Ripper X, try splitting it from the regular workout. I do my workout in the morning and then do Ab Ripper X in the afternoon or evening right before bed. I have found it is much easier to get through the workout this way.

Ah, ok....then he is not Vegan. I see.

I am still doing Turbo Jam and waiting for my Chalean extreme to get here.

I think my husband would LOVE to get Insanity.....we will see!

My name is Dawn415 on the BB forums.

Dawn

Dawn - You are partially right. Tony is a vegetarian that eats fish occasionally. The rant that you are talking about was his ideas to get the ultimate results in the absolutely shortest amount of time. In no way would he expect everyone to follow his lead on being a vegetarian. I certainly wouldn't cause I love my steak. As far as dairy is concerned, I am not sure why he feels it should be cut out completely. It might be part of that vegetarian lifetsyle that he leads, so nothing from a living creature. He does drink almond milk and soy milk. The nutrional program does minimize the intake of dairy, though.

I will be getting Insanity once it is available. I have my coach keeping his ears open for me so I can be one of the first to try it out. I cannot wait to try out that program. Everytime I watch the preview video, I get goosebumps. I'm sick that way. :)

The reason why I suggest to start with an easier program is because I believe that someone will get frustrated with the lack of results by jumping into P90X without a base. The changes will not be as drastic as what someone would expect by watching the infomercial because they lack that base. This could cause someone to quit before taking full advantage of what the program offers. This program can also bring on injury because of the level of intensity of some of these moves. Just really my opinion.

I don't know enough about Chalean to give an opinion.

BTW, I am also on the Beachbody message board with the same username (Padstack).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter