P&S in addition to dSLR?

MrsFerrell

Mouseketeer
We have a d3100... But I'm worried that we wont want to bring it with us into the parks everyday (keeping in mind we have a 3 year old and a 1 year old)... But I'm also afraid of missing THOSE priceless shots....

Also if it rains I wont want to bring it obviously...

So should we purchase a point and shoot?

If so any good recommendations?

I'd want to stay close to $200 or less.... Water-proof would be a plus.

-t-i-a-:goodvibes

Yup, I've always taken my (at this point, pretty ancient) Casio Exilimi Z750. At the time, it was pretty tiny, but still had great specs. It was pocketable, but even then I almost always took my D100. The Z750 had decent video, the D100 had no video.

That said, we're heading back in March and I'll be picking up a new P&S to take down, specifically the Nikon AW100. Waterproof, GPS for geotagging, shock resistant, etc etc. Olympus and Panasonic I believe are the only other options out there for "quality" P&S's. There are some Flip's and Kodak's out there that are waterproof and such, but with fixed lenses and other huge detractors, I don't consider them in the same ball park.

I've read numerous reviews of failed seals on both the Panasonic's and Oly's, even on just a few month old cameras, so I'll give Nikon a shot. The manual for both the Panny's and the Oly's both state that it needs sent in yearly for seal replacement, at your cost of course. I haven't found anything stating that from Nikon, but I haven't looked at in as in depth either. Interestingly, from the users that have had water damaged Panny's and Oly's due to seal failure, even on cameras under warranty, they have both declined repair on them due to ... water damage.. :confused3

The big draw to me other than the seal issues, Nikon uses the H.264 encoding, Panasonic uses AVC-Lite. I prefer H.264. The Nikon has a "shake" mode to change modes, which seems like it could be helpful in the winter with gloves.

I'm not overly concerned with image quality between the two, I'm sure they're both "good enough" as I really primarily plan on using it at the water parks, pools, water rides, etc. Otherwise I would probably just use the camera on my new cell phone, a Samsung Galaxy S II. The camera on this thing is just absolutely spectacular, I would say the best on the market right now. The iPhone 4S camera I thought was amazing and I think this actually surpasses it a touch.

HTH

go for a point and shoot underwater camera. We have two
film FinePix XP30 14 MP Waterproof Digital Camera with Fujinon 5x Optical
and an Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 14MP Digital Camera with 5x Wide Angle Zoom

Fuji is small and very light I think we have had it about 3 or 4 years. Takes nice pictures. The olympus we bought for my daughter. Takes nice pictures too but much heavier and has more functions.

I carry an old waterproof Olympus p&s to the parks as well as my D40. The camera's six years old now and has not had any seal problems. P&s technology has obviously improved since then, but I've gotten some pictures I've been very happy with using that camera.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter