• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Oz and kids

zaz

Mouseketeer
Hi!

I'm prepping for our April trip and I saw that some areas of the flower and garden festival are designed from the Oz movie. Anyone knows if the movie is appropriate for a 6 yrs old? I'd like to show it to my daughter before we go.

Thanks!

It really depends on your kid and how easily scared they get. There are some scenes that many younger kids will find very scary, but many will not.

I would say look at the first two Harry Potter movies, if they would scare her, then I would say no to OZ (NOTE: I think OZ has less violence than those and is cleaner as far as language goes, but as for how scary they are, I think it's very close for a kid).

My 5 year old hid her eyes in some parts but she wasn't overly scared. She is pretty tough and likes Pirates of the Caribbean and Harry Potter. I agree with the above poster and would use HP as a guide. OR... the end scene in The new Alice with the scary dragon. It's comparable to that amount of scary.

I took my ds6 over the weekend and he said he loved it but he did have his hands over his eyes or ears at certain times in the movie. It was a really good movie.

zaz said:
Hi!

I'm prepping for our April trip and I saw that some areas of the flower and garden festival are designed from the Oz movie. Anyone knows if the movie is appropriate for a 6 yrs old? I'd like to show it to my daughter before we go.

Thanks!

In my opinion, definitely not appropriate for a 6 year old.

I took my 8yo, her 9yo friend and my 6yo niece. All 3 loved it. They weren't scared at all. They did jump at a few parts when someone or something jumped out but I jumped a little to. More of a startled jump not a scared because it was scary jump. My sister took my niece again on Sunday along with my 5 yo nephew. He too loved it. I think it just depends in the child.

I think it would totally depend on the child. My youngest is 7 and it didn't scare him but he doesn't scare easily.

My 4.5 year old (going on 30, I swear!) wants to see it so badly, everytime there's a commercial for it he gets excited. I told him I didn't know if we could go, because some scenes might be scary for kids. He replied "for some children, mom". :rotfl: He doesn't scare easily. I don't think I'll take him to the theater though, we'll wait for it to come out on DVD. But it really all depends on your kids. My mom went to see it and she enjoyed it, said the witch was a little scary though.

I'm not too concerned with the scary parts but is there any violence in it? I'll be honest, I haven't seen a whole preview, lol....so I'm not sure what to expect and would like to take our kids.

I'm not sure how specific to be without ruining anything. I honestly cannot think of an actual violent scene. There is one part that you think is going to be bad but its not ( how's that for vague lol). If you want any more details I can pm you. While we are typically a disney jr type of family my youngest really likes spooky Tim Burton type movies so what may be ok for her may not be right for you. The movie is more adult than kid oriented IMO, but mine both enjoyed it.

It really depends on your kid and how easily scared they get. There are some scenes that many younger kids will find very scary, but many will not.

I would say look at the first two Harry Potter movies, if they would scare her, then I would say no to OZ (NOTE: I think OZ has less violence than those and is cleaner as far as language goes, but as for how scary they are, I think it's very close for a kid).

Agreed, great advice!

We also saw it in 3D so that made a few parts a bit more intense, so the regular version of the movie might not be as harsh. I posted in another thread but I really think it's just as 'dark' & 'violent' as the 1st movie, but the updated technology/special effects make it seem more intense.

+1

I took my 5-and-3/4ers daughter on Saturday to Oz and she liked it. And she's majorly into Harry Potter right now. She's seen through Goblet of Fire (4th movie) and keeps wanting more.

We went to see it Saturday and both DS9 and DD4 loved it! They are both fairly timid/easily scared, but neither of them had a problem at all.

No real violence that I recall but there were a few scary/startling parts. It would probably be more scary in 3-D. After it was over, I thought that I was glad I hadn't brought my 6 year old, but he tends to get pretty easily scared. There were some kids sitting near us who seemed to be pretty worked up over a couple parts. I think it definitely depends on the kid.

My just turned 7 year old absolutely loved it- so much that she talked about it for hours afterwards. She can be a little sensitive and has never seen anything like Harry Potter or Pirates. I don't think she is ready for those yet, but Oz was fine for her. The witches are a little intense at the end, but so is the witch in the original. The flying monkeys are a little bigger and scarier (more flying baboons than monkeys in this one).

BUT---I will warn you that the previews may be a different story. We saw it in IMAX. I don't know if the same previews are shown with all the versions, but the IMAX had an extended scene preview for Jurassic Park in 3-d which is coming back to theatres. It is the scene where the T-Rex shows up and then attacks the kids in the truck/jeep. The preview ends with the T-Rex's head in the vehicle and the kids separated by the T-Rex by just a sheet of glass they are holding between them. DD was obviously scared and was a bit flipped out about that it ended right there. I told her I had seen the movie before and it was fine, and she demanded to know how I had seen the movie if the preview was just now in the theatre. :rotfl: I told her it was an old movie coming back to the theatre and the kids were fine, and she was okay after that. If you see the Jurasic Park preview coming on, you might want to take the littler kids out of the theatre for a minute.

My 6 year old loved and and we are seeing it again this weekend. There is one part towards the end that's a little scary but nothing she complained about and my kid is a drama queen. All she talks about is Oz now

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter