Oxygen on plane?

pampam

DIS Veteran
We usually fly Air Canada to Florida because we need oxygen during the flight. Now, I'm concerned because of the troubles air Canada is having. Does anyone know of another airline flying from toronto to Orlando that one can get oxygen on? Of course we would like a non stop, direct flight.

obviously for a medical reason...so it would be my GUESS that it's possible on any flight/airline...

Again, only a guess...I wouldn't think that any of the charters would - or could - refuse a passenger that required oxygen...but they may require "nursing supervision"...which would mean extra $$ for you...

Good question...I hope someone can help you better than I ..:D

:sunny:

Actually any airline is under no obligation whatsoever to allow someone with an oxygen tank to board. I actually didn't know that until I saw an episode of Airline where Southwest denied boarding to someone with oxygen. Apparently it's a safety risk and while some airlines will allow it, others will not.

pampam, I have no idea where you're flying from so I don't know what airlines service your area. I just checked the Northwest website and they prohibit the use of personal oxygen on aircraft (has to be checked) but will provide oxygen onboard for inflight use only - for a fee, with advance notice and a medical certificate.

You will need to contact your airline about this to see what is needed for you to bring it with you. I work security at the airport and have only seen WestJet and AirCanada allow them through.

Good luck!

Tho they are troubled, I really doubt Air Canada will stop flying. You are right to research the competition tho. You might try posting this on the DISabilities board as well, especially if flying out of Buffalo might be an option. Your best bet may be to contact the airlines directly and ask. In the US, there are some restrictions on Oxygen tanks, but they cannot deny you passage just because you need oxygen (or any other disability), and are required to accommodate you.

Originally posted by pumpkinboy
In the US, there are some restrictions on Oxygen tanks, but they cannot deny you passage just because you need oxygen (or any other disability), and are required to accommodate you.

Oh yes they can and they do! My MIL is on oxygen and you cannot bring your own oxygen tank with you! She has to leave it at the gate before boarding and somebody needs to meet her at her destination with a tank. A complete pain in the you know what! The only way to get oxygen on a plane is to call ahead and they will supply it for you although it will cost $$. You don't use those little drop down ones, it's something different.
I think its terribly unfair and illegal in my opinion, but hey, what can I do......

Thats right-you can't just show up with a oxygen tank and hope to get on the plane-they won't allow it..it has to be prearranged.
Grover in Winnipeg

You don't suppose the concern might be connected to that fact that the crash of ValuJet 592 in 1996 was blamed on improperly labeled and stored oxygen tanks in the cargo hold?

Originally posted by PanamaMike
You don't suppose the concern might be connected to that fact that the crash of ValuJet 592 in 1996 was blamed on improperly labeled and stored oxygen tanks in the cargo hold?
Actually those were improperly stored and labeled oxygen generators, which are the little things that pump out oxygen (thru a chemical reaction) if a plane depressurizes. The press unfortunately reported it as oxygen canisters, which are much more stable.

But yes, you do need to make special arrangements, and the US airlines are legally obligated (whether they know it or not) to facilitate you making these arrangements.

Originally posted by pumpkinboy
But yes, you do need to make special arrangements, and the US airlines are legally obligated (whether they know it or not) to facilitate you making these arrangements.

The key part to that is "make special arrangements". It's surprising how many people requiring oxygen will arrive at the airport without making special arrangements, and at that point they're not obligated to do anything at all.

I'm sorry. I see I wasn't clear. We only need oxygen in the air, so we purchase it from the airline. It costs $100 Canadian each way. I've inquired with Air Transit and Jets Go but they don't offer this service. We fly from Toronto, and since Canada doesn't have Disabilaties Act like U.S. the disabled don't seem to have the legislated rights that Americans do. That , by the way is the reason we take all our vacations in the U.S. Anyway, we could count on Air Canada, for a price, for oxygen and I was hoping there was some other airline, regularly scheduled service, or charter that might offer this service.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter