Owww.

crewmatt

DIS Veteran
So here's the story, went for a run this morning, first 3 miles was going rather fast, technique wasnt so pretty, stopped and did a little stretching/etc at a long red light (just because I was feeling really tight after not running for several days). The remaining 4 or so felt fine (technique, pace, etc all came back as I knew they would - sometimes after a break I just have to run the bad habits out and then hit the reset button) as I ran the rest of the loop and back to the gym to shower before work. Showered, talked a little, the usual, and on my way out I turned around (must've done something wrong here) and boom severe right knee pain. Made it to the top of the stairs, and switched out of the dress shoes into my running shoes (figured they offered more support). It hurt all the way to the office, altho significantly more on the downhill portions of the couple block walk. I'm thinking its some kind of ITB issue as it hits the usual symptoms, outside of the knee, hurts more downhill than up. Anyone have any advice, I'm now sitting in my office with a pack of ice on my knee. Moving it hurts quite a bit and causes some cracking.

Sorry that you have the pain.....

First I must say that I am not a doc, nor play one on TV but I do have the first four seasons of Emergency! on DVD.

Next you are doing the best thing right now. Ice and rest. Take it easy the next few days and ice the knee. It could be any number of issues from ITB to Runner's Knee or worse. If not better in a few days get to a doctor so he can do a hands on evaluation.

Having the pain on the outside of the knee and feeling it more when going downhill makes me thing IT band. One of my best friends is an athletic trainer and told me the best thing to do for the IT band is stretch it all day long, about every 45 minutes or so.

The first stretch pictured on this page is the one I like the best.

This page also has some good stretches and a video

1. Runners Knee (Iliotibial band syndrome)
2. Lateral Meniscus Tear / cartilage tear
3. Lateral Cartilage Meniscus Abnormality

The noise (cracking) and the sudden nature of the pain makes me wonder if #2 is a possibility. R.I.C.E. is definitely recommended.

I would not stretch until the pain is gone. If it is a tear, you could make it worse.

If it does not get better quickly, get it checked out.

I really hope it is minor and you get back to running soon.

Awesome, thanks for all the feedback, yup I'm RICE-ing it now while at work. Lots of funny looks let me tell you. If it still hurts tomorrow I'm going to get it looked at. Probably going to skip class tonight and just head home. I just really hope it gets better, last time I had a knee issue it was in college and I had to take months off.

So saw an ortho today, got an X-Ray. He thinks its a torn meniscus. I have an MRI first thing tomorrow morning. I'll try to keep people up to date. Does anyone have any experience with having a meniscus repaired via surgery. He said recovery would be 6 weeks, and that I should expect to have a full recovery, but I was wondering if anyone had any real life experiences.

So saw an ortho today, got an X-Ray. He thinks its a torn meniscus. I have an MRI first thing tomorrow morning. I'll try to keep people up to date. Does anyone have any experience with having a meniscus repaired via surgery. He said recovery would be 6 weeks, and that I should expect to have a full recovery, but I was wondering if anyone had any real life experiences.

Sure. It really depends on your tear. Certain tears are easily nipped and everything works well once you recover. Then there are other types of tears that are not so easily repaired and recovery takes longer. Regardless of what the MRI shows your surgeon will not know what he was actually find until in the knee.

In one of my knees i was running with no pain in 5 weeks (OK it was shorter but I would not tell my doctor that). I had another one where the tissue was messed up and uric acid crystals were prevelent. The knee was mostly recovered in 8 weeks but I had swelling and motion issues until about 6 months.

Part of the issue is that the tissue has limited blood supply and it cannot heal itself. Once torn it may never get better unless the intervention occurs.

As long as you have faith in the doctor you should do fine.

Let us know how the MRI goes. I have never had this myself, so no real life experience to share. Hate you have to deal with it, but at least they expect a full recovery.

Good luck.

So the MRI was rather uneventful. Kind of layed there, some banging noises, etc. Got the MRI looked at Monday. There's a small tear in the meniscus, not to the bone, and is horizontal instead of vertical. Its also in a good spot he said, so it should heal all by itself (yay for being in my 20s). Its actually feeling significantly better, I've gone for a half hour run no issue, I've gone rowing a few times, swimming, and biking. I actually am probably going to dot he DC triathlon this weekend, however I wont be pushing it.

It went very well, the not pushing it didnt go as well. haha. But the knee held up, super excited. It was really upsetting to think of a long drawn out recovery. I threw a trip report on the Tri Thread about the race.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter