Owner's Locker - worth it?

mieuxmew

DIS Veteran
We go to Orlando 1 or 2 times a year. We usually stay in a 2 bedroom Marriott timeshare with our 2 kids. As much as we try, we are not light packers, as we brings down a few things for our timeshare (knife, foil, paper plates, laundry detergent, toiletries, swim goggles, etc). We usually need to bring 3 large suitcases with us, one of them being a lot of stuff I can see being perfect to leave in the Owner's locker.

Sign up fee is $75, which includes the purple storage box and delivery to your resort. The yearly fee is $99 which includes one trip per year and $25 for each additional trip.

People on the DVC boards RAVE about this service and many have 2 or 3 of these! They keep Disney only items, towels, crock pots, Keurig machines, power strips, routers, toiletries, kitchen items, kids toys, chargers, ponchos, sweatshirts, umbrellas, sunscreens, medicines, etc.
They pay less in bag fees and say it makes traveling much easier.

My husband thinks this is a waste of money, as the stuff can always be shipped Fedex or taken on the plane. I see it more as a convenience and unloading the burden of 1 suitcase keeps car rental to a CAR and not an expensive minivan (easily $100 more). Then again, maybe we could pack less, but this hasn't worked so far.

Anyone have any experience with Owner's Locker?

YES! YES! YES! We LOVE our OL :worship: :worship: :worship:

We are founding members & actually got a 2nd locker a few years ago. One keeps essentials & sundries. The other has extra hoodies, shoes, rain gear, etc. On more than one occassion we found ourselves in need of purchasing extra hoodies due to a cold snap. At $60/ea, that alone pays for the OL.

It makes traveling soooooo much easier. You don't realize just how much until you go someplace without it.

We've done as many as 10 days with just a carry-ons thanks to OL. And yes, we can get away with only a standard/mid-size car now as well.

Their guest service is second to none.

We also love ours. Last trip (9 days) we only brought clothes in backpacks - no checked luggage. Did a grocery stop with our car service just for food - toiletries, meds, etc. were already down there in our Locker. Makes things very convenient.

It sounds like a neat idea, but it's a bit expensive. Also, what if you travel elsewhere? All your "stuff" is in Florida.

Depending on what you need to bring with you, could you ship it in a big flat rate box, and then send it home again the same way? Seems like it could be cheaper than a $75 start up and $99 yearly fee.

It kind of reminds me of when we had a pop up camper. In theory we could just hook it up to the pick up truck and go. We just had to pack clothes and food. Unfortunately, without opening the whole camper, we couldn't get to the "stuff" inside, like our camping chairs, propane stove, etc. that on many occasions we wanted for something other than camping. (Like a fireworks show when we wanted our chairs, and the power outage when we wanted the camp stove.) Unless we wanted duplicates of these things in the house, too, it didn't make sense to leave them in the camper. Then we had to pack them anyway when we went camping.

we love ours and I think it was so much more handy when the kids were little. Now that they are older, it's still handy but not as much because we can stay in the parks later and don't have to get back so early for them to go to bed.

But it is great! I'd recommend it!

We love our lockers:love:

We started with one that we had all the toiletries in and other sundries such a ponchos that we only used at Disney.

Then we went to 2 and keep 5 days worth of clothes for DH & I which is great as I now only have to pack for DD.

We have 2 more as we now have pillow and proper raincoats stored too :rotfl:

To the other poster that asked about travelling elsewhere - the stuff I have in lockers are full size products etc and I have small ones for travelling elsewhere.

I did have one, liked it but canceled and haven't missed it. I wanted to use mine for items like shampoo, sunscreen, coffee filters. In other words, consumable products and those I couldn't pack on carryons. The problem was that these items had to be replenished and we don't usually rent a car so were having to bring some of this stuff with us each trip just to restock our locker. It is great for those that want to store coffee makers, extra sweatshirts, extension cords etc. Just not items you will use up.! I agree, customer service with this company us exemplary.

I highly recommend OL. They are a huge time & headache saver and make travel to Orlando a breeze! We, too, have, ...um, shall we say, more than one... and I can have a comfortable room set up or packed in short order.

We now take only our small should bag with typical flight items (reading material, sunglasses, tix, etc.) and one small case, in which we pack our coats and business items (laptop, scheduling book etc.).

My DH was very much against OL, too, but since I am in charge of packing and room organization, I made the call. For him it was about the money, for me it was about the time & energy. (I noticed he doesn't have any reservations spending $$ on power tools that make his job easier - just sayin' ;)) Now I don't have to spend all that time pouring over lists of what to pack, packing it and worrying if I forgot something.

You keep track of your items on their dashboard (on website), so if you think you don't have something, you can look it up.

We opted for some duplicate items for travel and our place "up north". YMMV :)

To the other poster that asked about travelling elsewhere - the stuff I have in lockers are full size products etc and I have small ones for travelling elsewhere.

This exactly. And the supplies will usually last us at least 3 trips which is a money saver as well. No paying premiums for travel size anything. Keeping an air mattress helps us save points by only need a 1BR (our teenage boys would rather sleep on the floor than in the same bed).

Having things like blankets for curling up on the sofa at night or the kids old Gamecube go a long way to making things more relaxing & comfortable.

I will say that the only other travel we do is either for work or hockey tournaments. Every time I have to pack up for a tournament weekend I curse the fact that I won't have my OL.

We loved our box when we had one. We bought a house nearby and then had no need of this service. They were great, especially the time I forgot to reserve a delivery for one of our stays. One phone call and our box was delivered that day.

I've been thinking of sharing one with my brother, who also owns DVC. I think it would be great to have a Keurig, extra chargers for iphones/ipods, a multi-outlet surge protector, a crock pot, Dollar Store measuring spoons and cups, dishwasher detergent, laundry supplies and other consumables that don't expire or need to be replenished often would be nice. He went for 3 weeks last summer and he drove down with a trunk loaded with stuff. If we had an OL, much of that stuff could have just stayed in FL.

Love, Love, Love our OL's. I am a very frugal person, and I was the hold out with the first one. DH said 'get it, it makes sense'. I finally caved and our first OL is named 'Queen of Frugal', in it (yes, it all fits)we have:
1 Box Wipe-on OFF Repellant
1 Can insect Spray
1 Can Yard Guard
1 tube SPF 15 Suntan Lotion
Bandaids
1 Bottle Ibuprofin
1 Moleskin
1 Bottle Antacids
1 Bottle Gas Relief Pills
1 Dental Floss
1 Small. Box Q-tips
2 disposable razors
1 small scissor

1 Tube Beyond Zone Hair Spike
1 Can Rave Hairspray
1 Small Can Root Boost
1 Degree Deodorant - replenish
1 Women's Deodorant
1 Curling Iron
1 Manicure Set
1 Tin Fashion Tape
1 Small Sewing Kit
1 Booklight
1 Flashlight

Keurig Mini
feather pillow
1 Paring Knife
1 Box gallon size ziplock bags
1 Box snack size plastic bags
1 Brita Faucet Filter
1 Brita Water Bottle
1 Corkscrew
1 Handheld Drink Mixer
1 pack coffee filters
1 small thermos
spoons & forks for studio
salt & pepper
2 Candles
Refill lMug
matches
2 wine carriers- Publix 4 pack
1 grocery bag
1 box dry soup mix

1 Travel Folder
1 Backpack
1 Hip pack
1 pair white flip flops
2 Disney tops (sharon)
1 black hoodie (sharon)

2 rain ponchos
2 umbrellas
1 mister fan

Several Packs Laundry Detergent
Dryer Sheets
1 Small bottle wrinkle release
1 Lint Roller
Several Dishwasher Detergents
Small Dishsoap

2 framed photos of kids/grandkids (love making our villa more homey)
7 magnetic photos (grandkids)
Binoculars
Router
scotch tape
sticky notes
strapping tape
2 AA Batteries
2 AAA Batteries
1 razor knife
1 pr. Pliers for brita filter
extension cord
2 phone chargers

Our 2nd OL is our traveling office...yes, we work half days - the plus to that is we sometimes stay for 2-3 weeks. In our Office OL is:
2 Flat Screen Monitor's
2 Keyboards
Laser Printer
Copy paper
1 hub and 1 printer usb cable
wireless print server

At some point we may add a third just for clothes, so we can get by with a small carryon. And yes, we travel many other places and it's real pain to pack for them because I'm truly spoiled with our OL's. OL is wonderful and for us, especially me since I'm the packer, worth every cent.

Thanks for all the advice!

I am surprised to hear all that fits into one 22x20x13 inch box!

I REALLY hate packing! We are going to Orlando on business trip in April and fun trip in October. I would LOVE to get an OL!

I am still trying to convince the husband. :confused3 He reminds me we are flying Jet Blue and get to check 4 bags for free and we made due with 3 bags last trip. He also makes the argument that we could pack a similiar sized box that weighs 50 pounds and ship it on FedEx ground, it will cost about $60 round trip. Plus, our stuff is back home, rather than having to buy duplicate mini Keurig, hair dryer, etc. Somehow, I seem to remember being exhausted our first day at Disney only getting two hours of sleep before our flight getting everything packed (Dad had day off to pack, but somehow most of it waited until Mom got home from work). :sad2:

Once, I did ship a box of toiletries/misc stuff ahead of time and it was SOO much less stressful having the odds and ends packed a week in advance and waiting for us at our resort. :thumbsup2

I am not sure an OL makes sense/cents but it sure seems easier! At this point, DH is dead against it. I will have to keep trying.

Reading all this, I just realized why an OL doesn't make sense for us.

We drive - DH has a company car and we pay for the privilege of using it for X miles a year (much less than what it would cost us to buy a new car every 2 or 3 years and maintain the car and pay for gas etc.) so we budget out Disney trips in the car.

We have two huge oversized suitcases I found at thrift stores that can only fly overseas. We keep all our Disney "stuff" in these (Ponchos, routers, power strips, lap blanket, etc.) and when it's time to start packing, I pull it down, check to make sure I don't need to replace anything, toss my clothes in and we go!

I have my own personal OL!

If we ever moved and needed to fly - I would be on the OL like white on rice.

I am still trying to convince the husband. :confused3 He reminds me we are flying Jet Blue and get to check 4 bags for free and we made due with 3 bags last trip. He also makes the argument that we could pack a similar sized box that weighs 50 pounds and ship it on FedEx ground, it will cost about $60 round trip. Plus, our stuff is back home, rather than having to buy duplicate mini Keurig, hair dryer, etc. Somehow, I seem to remember being exhausted our first day at Disney only getting two hours of sleep before our flight getting everything packed (Dad had day off to pack, but somehow most of it waited until Mom got home from work). :sad2:

Once, I did ship a box of toiletries/misc stuff ahead of time and it was SOO much less stressful having the odds and ends packed a week in advance and waiting for us at our resort. :thumbsup2

I am not sure an OL makes sense/cents but it sure seems easier! At this point, DH is dead against it. I will have to keep trying.

My DH was initially against it, too. But my time, energy and sanity are worth something. If I am spending loads of time packing, that is time I can't devote to other tasks that need completing. From that point of view, OLs do make sense/cents.

Perhaps you could do something similar to what snarlingcoyote suggested. Get an inexpensive suitcase (TJ Maxx/Marshall's), start slowing purchasing duplicate items (bought on sale, Amazon, etc.), put the new in your home and pack the old in the suitcase. That way you are always ready ahead of time. :)

You are both correct.

It is a waste of money in the fact that you not only have to pay for the locker, but also the duplicate things you would be keeping in the locker...and you could probably do it cheaper other ways (i.e. shipping the stuff)

It is also a convenence not to have to think about all this stuff and just make 1 call for it to magically show up when you need it.

Only the 2 of you can really decide if this convenence is worth the cost.

For us right now, we only go 1-2 times a year like you with the kids and we just don't feel it is worth the cost. When it is just the 2 of us, I imagine we will make more weekend and last minute trips and may reconsider at that point.

I too debated about whether the cost would be recouped. Threads like these helped me understand that it's about convienence and less stress while getting ready for a trip. If all the stress falls on you rather than your husband, he is never going to see any value.

It is important though to know exactly what is in your locker. That means taking some time while still on your trip to repack the locker and note those things that need replacing. We keep a coat and rain coat for everyone. Basic toiletries (shampoo, shower gel, toothpaste, etc.), pajamas for all, laundry soap and softener, a wide variety of items that you would find in a medicine cabinet, and some kitchen items. We have it delivered to both hotel rooms and DVC units. I love having my locker, but it doesn't save me any money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter