Overwhelmed. Where to begin planning?

AZpharmacist

Mouseketeer
We're thinking about taking a Disney Cruise. I'm either planning for next fall (2016) or spring (2017). I'm not sure if we should do the cruise first or WDW or if we should do the 2 trips separate (toddler will be 3 in summer 2016).

What would you do? WDW or a cruise? Where do you start planning your cruise? How should I decide which ship?

We have been to DLR once with out daughter when she was 17 months. She just turned 2 and we are going again in September

My advice would be to pick an itinerary first and then the ship. With little ones your choices for port excursions though DCL are a little more limited but you will still find plenty to do. I would look at the ports and excursions and maybe that will help you narrow it down. For our first cruise I couldn't decide between an Eastern or western on the Magic and that was helpful for me. Happy planning!

I can't help you with the WDW vs DCL, because we haven't been to WDW, but from what I've heard from others as long as you take a nap break during the day, WDW with a toddler can be a lot of fun. One of the benefits to a cruise is being to utilize the kids clubs. Everyone on here can give you first hand advice on the kids clubs and what types of activities they offer for that age group. I think it just really depends on what type of vacation you want. Could you do a 3 or 4 night cruise and a day or 2 at the parks? If time and budge allows, it would give you a small taste of each?

Cruising with a 3 year old is awesome, esp if she likes characters. You are going to love it.

Itinerary is definitely most important.

I had no problem finding port adventures in Norway, and you always have the option of a private tour or doing your own thing. Have fun planning and take loads of pictures!

Use the Passporter or some other guide to get your bearings.

For a three year old, I vote for the cruise. There's a big difference between a 3-day and 4-day cruise. On the 3-day you're boarding (unpacking, lifeboat drill, getting oriented) on day 1, then are 2 full days for vacation and you're off the boat early the next morning. The 4-day gives you a chance to relax.

If you do both, go to WDW first - even if it's one day in Magic Kingdom. Then relax on the ship.

It makes sense that if YOU have never been to WDW, you should go. And I would plan the WDW part of the trip on what you would like to do. In that case, look at the cruises out of Port Canaveral.

So I've been on a Western Caribbean cruise before so we will probably do Eastern. I wouldn't do Europe until my daughter is older. She loves the beach so I want to make sure we do something nice and beachy. We would be doing something out of Florida most likely. Although I have a brother that lives in Galvaston so I suppose that's a possibility.

I'm not sure if we should do the parks. Cruise would be 7 days as we're coming from Arizona. Parks may be a bit much but my daughter did great with 4 days at the park and we didn't even go back to the room to nap. She just slept in the stroller

We did the Eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy a few weeks ago. The ports were St. Maarten, St. Thomas, and Castaway Cay. Magen's Beach in St. Thomas is just beautiful. The excursions we did were all beaches, and for any age.

I'm a parks fanatic so if I could only do one I would choose the parks. We live near the parks now or else I might not have given a cruise a chance. The parks was a sure thing, but I had no idea if we would like cruising. We really enjoyed it, and will definitely cruise again, but the parks are still my favorite. Spending a few days in the parks followed by a cruise would be perfect.

I'll throw in my opinions. :)

First, I would suggest taking a cruise over WDW. Toddlers and preschoolers want character interaction. Their favorite thing is to meet princesses, etc. I hated waiting in lines in WDW for a character. On the ship, lines are much shorter, but far more importantly, characters come to the kids club and interact with the kids! Yes, she get to have a princess come read a story, or Peter Pan come play follow-the-leader, or other characters drop by, all while you relax at the adult pool with an adult beverage. Go to WDW when she is a little older and wants to go on rides.

Second, choose the cruise based on where you want to go. She will love the ship, as will you. Any port will hold her interest about the same as any other, so go where you prefer. If you want to go to Europe, go to Europe. If you want to hit the beaches in the Bahamas, go to the Bahamas.

Consider doing a land and sea and then you don't have to choose between WDW and a cruise. We did WDW with a seventeen month old and had a great time. We are doing three days at WDW/three days on DCL with a two year old next month, so we will see how that goes. If you do WDW, avoid the summer months if you can. I much prefer it in November to when I have been in the summer, but that didn't work for us this year.

I wouldn't necessarily choose by ship but rather by itinerary. Look at which ports appeal to you. Set a budget and see what fits into it.

We're thinking about taking a Disney Cruise. I'm either planning for next fall (2016) or spring (2017). I'm not sure if we should do the cruise first or WDW or if we should do the 2 trips separate (toddler will be 3 in summer 2016).

I'd say either do 2 separate trips, or do the cruise second. The parks, while fun, can be a bit harsh on the post cruise vibe (particularly when you have to pay for your snacks!) :rotfl2:

Where do you start planning your cruise? How should I decide which ship?

I'd focus more on the length, and itinerary of the cruise. The ships all have great features, so you won't lose be choosing one over another! (I'd say make sure you choose an itinerary with Castaway Cay for your first cruise though! It really is the cherry on top of a great vacation!)

What would you do? WDW or a cruise? We have been to DLR once with out daughter when she was 17 months. She just turned 2 and we are going again in September

If you're familiar with Disneyland, I'd go for a Cruise. WDW is a lot of the same things you can experience at DL, just hotter, humider, and more spread out.

I also recommend calling both Disney Cruise Line and Disney World - they will be able to help you with what may be best suitable for your family. SO much to do, see and enjoy at both - best of luck!

I would say the cruise would be better for a toddler. The interactions with the characters are way better than the theme parks. They even have a dance party where the kids dance with characters. Does it get any better than that?! Of course this is my opinion.

Thanks guys. I think I'm definitely leaning towards a cruise in the Eastern Caribbean since we've done the western. I think Disney World can wait until my LO is 5. We will have already done Disneyland 3 times by then. I know that WDW has many more parks but I believe the # of attractions is a lot the same. Maybe she will appreciate WDW more when she's 5? Who knows

I know that WDW has many more parks but I believe the # of attractions is a lot the same. Maybe she will appreciate WDW more when she's 5? Who knows

You're correct, the attraction count is about the same. WDW will likely have the same parade/fireworks/shows in a few years that it does now.

After dozens of WDW trip we finally bookended a 3 night Bahamian trip for our last "big" WDW trip. We loved it. After running around the park for 5 days straight we boarded the Dream and spent the next three days relaxing. So instead of returning to work with that post vacation stress on our face we actually felt rejuvenated and ready to get back into the daily grind.

We are now planning on doing the same for our upcoming Oct WDW trip with the same 3 night cruise on the Dream. We can't wait to unwind. We will also be joined by our normal WDW travel friends who are bringing their twin 5 year olds. The kids love the kid clubs on the ship and and gives the adults plenty of alone time as well.

Which ever you decide just remember that you are on vacation and try to not over do it and enjoy your vacation.

What would you do? WDW or a cruise? Where do you start planning your cruise? How should I decide which ship?

We have been to DLR once with out daughter when she was 17 months. She just turned 2 and we are going again in September

Each ship is unique and wonderful. Think more about how long you want to go and how much you want to invest in your vacation. I would definitely recommend a four night cruise for your first. The three night just seems so short and you feel like you didn't get settled before you are back in port. Consider how much you might be in your room to decide whether you want an inside room or an oceanview or a verandah. Having cruised with a verandah I can't imagine a cruise without one. Tea while watching the sun rise was a great adventure every morning.

From there on, just go with the flow. Don't stress about what host/ess to have or what server is best. Don't overplan. Just go and enjoy. Pick a few port adventures and enjoy being on the ship. Our most favorite times were when we were sitting in the pool or lounging around the ship somewhere watching the ocean.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter