Overwhelmed, confused and nervous-Need advice on hotels

sersee05

DIS Veteran
Hey all, I am hoping to get some great advice. We are surprising our three kids with a Disney trip the day after Xmas. I know it's a busy week but unfortunately this is when we all have off..We have planned to stay 7 nights and are probably getting a MYW pass and also going to Seaworld<which is a must for me>.
We are driving , so will have a car..so shuttles don't matter as much.

I would love to stay at the Disney resorts for the magic..however, we are a family of 5 and am having trouble finding a place ..without feeling like sardines or breaking the bank. There have been some rooms that have a king bed and queen sleeper sofa...which is perfect since my son can fit with the two girls or sleep with my husband and I...but these rooms tend to have a max occ of 4??! I have looked into the value resorts suites which are booked. I thought about two rooms, but that would be very expensive.

So I am looking at going off the property and finding a real nice hotel elsewhere. My kids are 12, 7 and 5. A great pool would be nice..though I don't know how much we can use in December? I am picky with the cleanliness and want to feel like I am at Disney and on vacation.

I have been to tripadvisor..and it is hard to get a read..you see a hotel that seems great and then there are quite a few reviews about bed bugs, or how dirty it is..makes me nervous.

Can any of you suggest some nice hotels that are family friendly? I have checked mousesavers..and they talk up the Caribe Royale? Tripadvisor people like The Radisson? I would like to be under 200 per night..since the tickets for 5 are expensive. I also don't want to have to sit through a timeshare presentation...

Thanks so much you guys!!!!!!!

Are you open to renting a townhouse or villa? Having a car really opens up your options, and you could get a REALLY nice place for less than $200/night and everyone can have their own room. Alot of people speak highly of Windsor Hills, and several of those townhomes are Disney-themed so you can still have the "magic." I can't recommend a specific rental, but we are renting a 5 br/4.5 bath house with pool for $1300 for 10 nights in Jan., if that gives you an idea of what you can get for the money. Before our group expanded to 10 peopple, I was looking at renting this place at Windor Hills for $99 nt for 3br/3ba. http://www.windsorhillsrent.com/cgi-bin/members.cgi?fnct=details&id=287

Well your 1200 is cheaper than a couple of the hotels we were looking at...No i am not opposed to that...I just went and checked on the website and saw some "Magic villas" all decorated Disney...Do you feel secure there? Is it like renting a beach house..where you bring all your own linens and toiletries?

Have you considered renting points from a DVC owner? Granted you have to do some leg work but you can stay on property for much less than what you would spend booking directly from Disney. That is what we're doing in October. Just a thought for you:goodvibes

I would also check out Bonnet Creek. Technically not on Disney property but it is literally right next to the CBR resort and centrally located to all the parks. They have one and two bedroom units that would be great for a family of five.

Renting DVC points is a great idea but I think Christmas week will be tough to get.

so no I haven't looked into that..I checked out Windsor which looked fantastic..The rooms were all decorated and definitely gave me that "feel". My kids would love it. I didn't even know you could rent from a dvc owner! I just had no idea there were other options besides hotels. I think putting 5 of us in port orleans..would be really uncomfortable. I am so glad I came here!!! I had no idea I had other options..Keep the advice coming! I am open to renting...

Here is a link for the DVC rent board http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29

and this guy runs specials ( as low as $8/pt) if you sign up for his newsletter

ummmm. won't let me post the address....search davids dvc rental

Also chk out the rent boards on mousesavers. Just don't do any transactions through ebay.....lots of bad deals lately:sad1:

I think that maybe I would want to stay away from the DVC rentals..i just don't know enough about it...I am interested in some of the area townhomes and homes to rent..but also have heard some things about break ins....I have also seen mousesavers say the double tree is pretty ok....blah..it gets so confusing!

We have stayed through this owner 3 bed 3 bath townhouse in Windsor hills.
5 minutes to the AK parking lot. Would do it again in a heartbeat and am trying to plan a Thanksgiving trip now!

www.5mins2disney.com

Perhaps you should consider Buena Vista Palace - right across from DTD. You can get a 2 room suite for $109 a night in Island Suite building of BVP. It is a great Travelzoo rate so I don't know how long it will be effective. They have a full refund policy so you may want to book it then consider it to lock the rate. We stayed there this summer and it was definitely roomy. 2 Queens with a sofa, balcony and full bath in one room and the other room had pull out sofa, chairs, table with chairs, another balcony, kitchenette stuff and another half bathroom (which was so so great to have in the moring ). The Island Suites bldg. is closest to the pool and walking distance to DTD. They also had buses to all parks - but we used our car.

Another vote for Windsor Hills! It has 24-hour manned security and have put in place lots of security measures--it doesn't get better than that! Also 2 miles from Disney. A townhouse would be great for the 5 of you or even a 4 bedroom, 4 bath pool home if you can work that out.

Can find them on www.homeaway.com and www.vrbo.com and of course, as mentioned www.windsorhillsrent.com. There's also a new website, www.windsorhillsbest.com.

Good luck in your decision-making!

Sandy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter