• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Overweight and Obesity at WDW

RayaniFoxmur

DIS Veteran
I wasn't sure where else to post this so forgive me if it's in the wrong place!!

My fiance and I would both like to go to WDW this New Years, but we're admittedly both overweight. Me by... well a lot, and him by a bit. We figure on being able to lose some weight before we go, but he's concerned about the rides. It's been 14 years since I've been to Disney World, and I don't remember there really being weight restrictions or seat restrictions on any of the rides... but if you know of some, can you let us know? We don't want to go and then not be able to ride the rides we want to! (Rides like Space Mountain, he wants to do the Racetrack in MK, Splash Mountain, rides such as that)

Thank you in advance!

RayaniFoxmur said:
I wasn't sure where else to post this so forgive me if it's in the wrong place!!

My fiance and I would both like to go to WDW this New Years, but we're admittedly both overweight. Me by... well a lot, and him by a bit. We figure on being able to lose some weight before we go, but he's concerned about the rides. It's been 14 years since I've been to Disney World, and I don't remember there really being weight restrictions or seat restrictions on any of the rides... but if you know of some, can you let us know? We don't want to go and then not be able to ride the rides we want to! (Rides like Space Mountain, he wants to do the Racetrack in MK, Splash Mountain, rides such as that)

Thank you in advance!

pooh plus size here, pm me and ask away.

Ok, for all the net to see, I am 240lbs, 5'4, womens size 24...and I rode EVERYTHING.
The lap bars on the coasters felt a little loose because of the belly my 4 children gave me. I was unable to pull the bar down to my thighs but I was safe in the seat.
I may have looked like an idiot climbing out of the low sitting rides. I may have been off balance climbing down from Dumbo. I may have crowded my son's seat on Kali River Rapids but I rode it all.
And I loved every second of it!!!
Have a greattrip and don't worrry about it. I was nowhere near the largest person I saw that week and that includes a woman at the pool who was much larger and Kudos to her- she was having fun too.

I'm a fat chick and haven't been to Disney since 1974, but I don't anticipate any problems. I'm a size 26/28.

I don't think I can post links yet, but if you google "Walt Disney World at Large" you will find a lot of good information on ride sizes.

http://allearsnet.com/tp/ridsiz.htm

Yay, apparently I can post links!

As my DH always says, we don't skinny dip... We Chunky Dunk :cool1: at that is exactly what we wil be doing at TL & BB . Disney is there for all ages, shapes and sizes. Have a blast, we do :banana: :banana:

you shouldn't have any problem.

some big people have problems with thunder mountain (RR in frontierland - mk) and the rides for children in Toontown - that RR (Barnstormer)is tiny.

otherwise you can ride everything if you want too.

I do not like being tossed - so I don't get on Rock n' Roll coaster at Studio.

Getting out of Space Mountain was tricky.

Also, depending on your hips POTC turnstile can be tricky.

Being "pooh sized plus" here.... the only turnstiles I had problems with were in IASW.... so I just went thru the gate instead. No biggie... I usually found many people following me thru the gate at the exit. The only ride that was a little tight was the tea cups. :)

Feel free to PM me as well. :)

As a size 62 male that stands 6 ' 5" the only ride i had a problem with at WDW was the teacups. I managed to cram myself into it but couldnt turn the wheel. Space mountain was a bit of a tight fit for my long legs as was Test track. I did opt NOt to ride the Barn stormer though

Laurajean1014 said:
Getting out of Space Mountain was tricky.

Also, depending on your hips POTC turnstile can be tricky.
I may be wrong, but I heard they removed the turnstiles at POTC... :teeth:

UrsulasShadow said:
I may be wrong, but I heard they removed the turnstiles at POTC... :teeth:
I thought they removed them too and went with the walk thru infrared counters that are much wider.
If there are still turnstiles, you can always go thru the wheelchair gate, which is right next to the regular entrance.
Livi'sMom said:
Being "pooh sized plus" here.... the only turnstiles I had problems with were in IASW.... so I just went thru the gate instead. No biggie... I usually found many people following me thru the gate at the exit.
Are you sure there are turnstiles at Small World? I know there isn't anything to get in because wheelchair users are sent thru the beginning of the line with everyone else.
I believe at the end they have the infrared counters. I know my SIL, who is Pooh sized didn't have any problem and there is no mention of any turnstiles in the Passporter for Your Special Needs book (and one thing they do cover pretty well is size).

I went two years ago and am traveling there in two months. I had NO problems fitting into anything and I am extra-Pooh-sized!!! I was worried but had no problems. Disney is very Pooh friendly!! Have a great time.

The turnstiles were always the most difficult "ride' at DW for me. :lmao: I found that turning sideways worked for me and I weighed way over 300 pounds back then.

I have now lost enough weight that I can walk through just like 'regular' folks now. :cheer2:

DW is very disability friendly, no matter what your particular problem is. Lots of places to sit and rest in between attractions, seats that fit all sizes and lots of friendly folks to help you out when you get lost and I have never been made to feel like a freak or anything. Much better than the 'real' world.

I may just move there. All that walking and the fact that I am too cheap to buy their high priced burgers sounds like the perfect diet for me. :lmao: (if only it were possible)

Slightly Goofy

SueM in MN said:
I thought they removed them too and went with the walk thru infrared counters that are much wider.
If there are still turnstiles, you can always go thru the wheelchair gate, which is right next to the regular entrance.

Are you sure there are turnstiles at Small World? I know there isn't anything to get in because wheelchair users are sent thru the beginning of the line with everyone else.
I believe at the end they have the infrared counters. I know my SIL, who is Pooh sized didn't have any problem and there is no mention of any turnstiles in the Passporter for Your Special Needs book (and one thing they do cover pretty well is size).

Actually the turnstiles are as you go out. But the accessible gate is right next to it!

I have problems in the theater seats at the 3-D shows, they are very tight for me, everything else is great, except the tables at Sci-Fi theater. They are very tight.

I am pooh size and did fine on all the rides. The only problem I had was in Muppets, for some reason those seats were very, very small for me. Never had another problems with the other 3-D attractions. My son is 6'5 and at the time he weighed (est) around 350 and he didn't have any problems at all. All the belts are pull out. I did take advice from someone on Deb's site to sit at the end of the seat and then scoot back instead of sitting straight down and I was much more comfortable except for the Muppets :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter