Overnight Nursing Care?

ellenmoore

Earning My Ears
Hi,
Heading to Disney for the first time with our girls, 5 and 9. Older one is severely disabled and requires overnight nursing care so we can sleep. When we've traveled in the past, our local nursing agency can link us up in the trip state. That's been really tough this trip. Anyone have any advice? Would have thought FL could handle it. We COULD arrange just for someone to stay awake and if she needs help, they could just wake us - ie not a NURSE, just an awake somebody. That's a good back-up option. Maybe even Disney babysitters could do that. Would love some help. My hubby has called 15 agencies and none says they can help. It's our 20th Anniversary and we're really hoping not to have to do overnight shifts ourselves. Will really drag down the whole family experience, ya know? Thanks in advance for any help from all you experts :)

Perhaps you could give a call to Give Kids the World in Kissimmee. They handle all the Make-A-Wish kids that go to Disney World. They might be able to link you with a nursing agency or give you some other ideas.

Is there a nurse or family friend that you use when you are at home that could come with you?

If you are sure the person does not have to be a nurse, just someone who is awake and can get you, I would try a nanny agency, they would have some very qualified sitters, but they probably would not take medical responsibility so they will need to know you will be right there.

I'm surprised none of the 15 agencies can send a private duty peds nurse for the nights you will be there. What is their reason for being unable to do so?

Thanks much for the replies thus far. They've told him they don't have nurses available. We may use the babysitting service at Disney. We tried the Make a Wish group you recommended and they said we had to go to our local agency. We tried that and hit a dead end. All good ideas though! Thanks for the help. We leave Monday, so we're down to the wire now :) Regardless - will still be a fun trip!

Maybe, you should visit a few places face to face. It might make a difference. Then, they know you are serious.

Could you let your child stay in an outside facility for the nights for care; you might get a better response for help. I'm not sure it's a good idea to be separated, but it just depends.

Don't be surprised if Disney babysitting has restrictions about this situation. I have heard some bad stories here on this board when it was on their cruise lines with similar circumstances.

A lot of the babysitting services have a certain time when they require their "shift" to be over. I don't think Disney will allow someone to stay a whole night. Some independent agencies might. However may be you could have someone in for a few hours to let you sleep and then you could take over.

Have you looked into local support groups in the Orlando area that might exist for your child's condition? They might have have some suggestions, or might even have parents who support each other by doing these things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter