Overcrowded classes - can they force her out?

My guess is that someone from the other class didn't like the teacher/teaching style and the parent asked for their child to be placed with the better teacher. I'd tell the guidance counselor if they have to move someone, make the kid with the lowest grade move. Why should the A students be punished?
Horrible to make a kid move mid year and have to relearn the new teacher's learning style and homework/test routine. By now other kids have the hang of it. Your daughter's grade may go down if moved because this teacher may have different expectations.
I've never heard of moving mid year by force and this tiger mom would have been at the school complaining this morning. Most schools aren't going to care if a 14 year old complains but they will listen to a parent.

I let my HS kids handle schedule issues on their own, but will step in if they can't sort it out. I only had to do that once, when dd's schedule was messed up by the school (putting her in a class she had already taken). She ended up with a 2nd period study hall, and no lunch. She met with guidance several times before I stepped in. Now, if it had been an error on our part, I would have told her to suck it up.

Fortunately, we're good friends with the principal, and we know we can have anything fixed. However, I don't like to play that card unless I have to, and played it in that situation.

Stand your ground. She had a desk last semester, she should still have it. Sometimes they target the "easy" kids. The smart, nice, easy to get along with kids are easier to kick out...and the ones without parents that are not known for sticking their noses in. It is time to stick your nose in and stand your ground. It may be rough in there for a little while for your DD, but I imagine it will all even out pretty quickly. Good luck!

I completely understand your frustration! Ok, so maybe there is some bullying problem or maybe a kid with an IEP or whatever, so why is your kid the one who has to suffer (ok, maybe not suffer but still). It's always the easy, good kids who get the shaft. It's happened to mine before and we didn't pursuit it at the time, and didn't fight it as we just figured there was nothing we could do, wanted her to manage her own situations, deal with adversity, blah, blah, blah. But she ended up with a sub-par math teacher and to this day she has played catch-up in math (she's not strong anyway in math so to put her with a teacher who wasn't as strong hurt her in the long run). Do what you can to try to fix it. At least see if they can "draw names from a hat" type thing to determine who moves...at least that would seem more fair.

OP, here the classes that are year long are also the state tested classes. Certain teachers seem to do better with students that are in danger of not passing that test. And some students are not required to take the class as a year long class, only in the semester they plan to take the state test. Is that the case there?

If so, it would explain why the class filled in the second semester and it may explain why someone needed to be moved. But then again, bullying wouldn't be a reason here. If a kid is known to be a bully, they go to alternative school; no class changes needed.

Anyway, I don't see a thing in the world wrong with you emailing the teacher or the counselor. Dd handles most of her stuff but when she wanted a particular teacher this year, I emailed the teacher last year when schedules were being made and let her know. She took care of it and made sure dd was in her class. And she thanked me for letting her know because if dd had told her adviser herself chances were that she would not have been put in the class. Sometimes it really does take a parent's voice.

My question , as a teacher, is why the second teacher--the one no one wants to get-- is still employed. Is she getting mentored to improve her teaching?

There are so many great teachers unemployed....why put up with mediocrity?...

... just received a text from DD as this class is 1st period. Teacher approached both girls and said something along the lines of 'thought you were both ok with moving'. They said no, we like it here and don't want to move. He said he has no control over students placing in but can kick out. Asked them if they would like to sit on the floor. They shook their heads no. He stormed out of the room.....

Okay, I will preface by saying that we only have the girl's side of this story. So, nobody here should have any grounds to misunderstand and flame me here....

But: IF (I just said 'IF') this happened anywhere near close to the account that the OP has stated that her daughter just texted... No matter what the situation is that is causing this schedule change.... This is just not an appropriate way for the teacher to handle this.... Not appropriate in any way.

If this is how this teacher is handling this... personally choosing to kick these two girls out of his class... Giving no explanation... period... Just, saying, basically, "I just chose to kick you out and for you to be moved..." And, then instead of referring these girls to guidance to address any questions about their scheduling.. or anything else... He just turns his back and walks off... Did he actually just leave the room? THIS is how he has handled this????

OP, I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest that this is not as good a teacher as you (and your daughters) might have been thinking. I am not sure I would want my daughter, at this point, to be reassigned back into this class. Unless your daughter can come up with a VERY strong reason that she just can't be placed with the other teacher, I might be tempted to let this change happen.

WOW.

This is why I am a firm believer that kids should not be just automatically forced/expected to deal with situations like this... alone... kid versus an adult.
This isn't College, or even Junior or Senior year.

If it is a new semester they can and do. It has happened to my DD all 4 years. Semesters bring a lot of different scheduling snafus. My suggestion is to call guidance and ask. And if she has to change she has to change. Kids have to learn to adapt to a lot of things in high school in preparation for college. I have only stepped in once in 4 years but helped guide the kids in how to handle this kind of situation.

My question would be is the other teacher really bad or just harder?

Our school system, in high school, runs on two totally different and distinct semesters... So, one might sign up for Algebra I and Algebra II for the year, and have no guarantee that they will actually get these during the same block, much less the same instructor.

But, I am guessing that this is not the case at the OP's school???

My question , as a teacher, is why the second teacher--the one no one wants to get-- is still employed. Is she getting mentored to improve her teaching?

There are so many great teachers unemployed....why put up with mediocrity?...

Really? Here in NJ, with the unions, it is next to impossible to get a teacher removed. If they are really bad, they will move them to another position where they can cause the least damage. I've never heard of a teacher being fired.

Everyone seems to think the OP's dd and her friend were chosed to be moved because they are the "good" kids. However, judging from the teacher's reaction to have found them sitting in class, when they were supposed to have moved to the other class, makes me think there is something else going on. It doesn't sound like this teacher wants them in his classroom. I know we all think our children are perfect angels, but....

He may just be frustrated. He thought it was settled and now its not. I wouldn't be so quick to assume the worst of him. And remember, he doesn't make all these kid's schedules. So this is thrust on him the same way it was your dd.

Maybe it was felt that your dd and her friend would thrive as well in the other class as they do in his.

He may just be frustrated. He thought it was settled and now its not. I wouldn't be so quick to assume the worst of him. And remember, he doesn't make all these kid's schedules. So this is thrust on him the same way it was your dd.

Maybe it was felt that your dd and her friend would thrive as well in the other class as they do in his.

Could be... Instead of insisting my dd stay in the current class, I would be asking about the situation, and why my dd was chosen to move. Obviously there is room in the other class for the transfers, so something is going on.

At our high school you get a new schedule second semester. I haven't seen my DS 14's schedule because we are on our FIFTH snow day and have not been back yet. I am crossing my fingers he gets the same Biology teacher - definitely the best one, but I would love to see a new Algebra II teacher. But, there is no parent consultations about the new schedule. If something is wrong, the student has one week to go to the guidance counselor.

One other thought about the change in numbers - In Indiana Biology is a required class to graduate. If a student has not passed second semester, he/she would have to retake it. So, there may be more people retaking second semester.

Me again. To clarify - he wants them to move beginning 2nd semester which does not start until Jan 20th so they still rightfully belong in his class. He is a very good teacher and they prefer to stay in his class if possible. The other teacher also happens to be the football coach and he is a fantastic football coach. I will leave it at that. DD has texted me further between periods and says she told him firmly but politely that she intends to stay w/his class through the end of the year. He asked if she wanted to sit on the floor and she said no. At that point he stormed out, the bell rang and she went on to her next class. I emailed the GC early this morning, and after hearing this I left her a voicemail. Almost 2 hours later still waiting for a return call. She is a good kid and he is a good teacher, I just think now something more is going on internally and I don't want her to be penalized for something that doesn't involve her in any way, shape or form. The longer it is taking for the GC to return my email/call the more ticked I am getting too. Sorry to have riled y'all up too but I do appreciate the insight from others.

Me again. To clarify - he wants them to move beginning 2nd semester which does not start until Jan 20th so they still rightfully belong in his class. He is a very good teacher and they prefer to stay in his class if possible. The other teacher also happens to be the football coach and he is a fantastic football coach. I will leave it at that. DD has texted me further between periods and says she told him firmly but politely that she intends to stay w/his class through the end of the year. He asked if she wanted to sit on the floor and she said no. At that point he stormed out, the bell rang and she went on to her next class. I emailed the GC early this morning, and after hearing this I left her a voicemail. Almost 2 hours later still waiting for a return call. She is a good kid and he is a good teacher, I just think now something more is going on internally and I don't want her to be penalized for something that doesn't involve her in any way, shape or form. The longer it is taking for the GC to return my email/call the more ticked I am getting too. Sorry to have riled y'all up too but I do appreciate the insight from others.

I would imagine the GC needs to speak with the teacher before returning your call, and if he is teaching that is not likely p'to have been possible yet. I think you have to give them the school day to return this call; it may feel very important to you (and the teacher storming out is not okay, I agree) but it is far from an emergency situation, especially given that the change is not set to take place for another week and a half anyway.

That said, if the school has a right to change the teacher at semester break, which every school i have dealt with has, then I can somewhat understand the teacher being frustrated by a student saying they will be staying in their class instead of asking if it is possible and how to make it happen.

I would imagine the GC needs to speak with the teacher before returning your call, and if he is teaching that is not likely p'to have been possible yet. I think you have to give them the school day to return this call; it may feel very important to you (and the teacher storming out is not okay, I agree) but it is far from an emergency situation, especially given that the change is not set to take place for another week and a half anyway.

That said, if the school has a right to change the teacher at semester break, which every school i have dealt with has, then I can somewhat understand the teacher being frustrated by a student saying they will be staying in their class instead of asking if it is possible and how to make it happen.

This concept of changing teachers at semester break is something I have never heard of. Our kids may change classes second semester-like art 1st semester, computers 2nd semester with different teacher/students, but the core classes like math or history are full year with the same teacher and students and same class period. I've never heard of someone being moved mid year in high school.

This concept of changing teachers at semester break is something I have never heard of. Our kids may change classes second semester-like art 1st semester, computers 2nd semester with different teacher/students, but the core classes like math or history are full year with the same teacher and students and same class period. I've never heard of someone being moved mid year in high school.

We have also NEVER changed teachers at semester break. There are some classes in middle school that only last a semester but there is no such thing as changing teachers for the same class, at least not around here, it just isn't done.

I have never dealt with a school that has, and I have never heard of changing teachers after the semester, it just isn't done where we live.

We have also NEVER changed teachers at semester break. There are some classes in middle school that only last a semester but there is no such thing as changing teachers for the same class, at least not around here, it just isn't done.

It is done here. The only classes that are full year classes are state tested classes--Alg I, Eng II, US History and Biology I. Everything else is either a semester class or a 9 weeks class.

We are on a block schedule.

And the year long classes can either be with the same teacher or with two different teachers. DD has been lucky, so far and had the same teacher for both semesters, some kids haven't. Some have been moved because it was thought that they would do better with a different teacher, some because it works out better for their schedule, some just because its the way their schedule was done.

That is so strange. Has your dd said that a new student moved into the class? If so, that would shed some light since she would know if the student was a troublemaker type, or if that kid was getting bullied etc.

It seems kind of silly to me that the class if over by one kid (seems they want to move 2 just to be nice and not single out one kid :confused3)

This may be a stupid question but if they are over by one student, why not just move an extra desk into the room and have everybody stay? Surely there is room to squeeze one more desk in the room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter