Overcrowded classes - can they force her out?

Beachbumpirates

Mouseketeer
My freshman DD came home upset today because her biology teacher told her and another student that due to an overcrowded class 2nd semester he was moving the 2 of them to another teacher's class. Problem is the other teacher is not the best of teachers and DD is doing well and likes the teacher/class she is currently in. So my question - can they do this? And shouldn't they have notified the parent and NOT the 14yr old kid? And now can I insist they don't move her? The class wasn't overcrowded 1st semester. I'm not sure how to proceed with this one...

Well, this DOES happen, but it was handled extremely poorly. In addition, it's not up to the teacher to "move" the students into another class randomly. Because a lot of things can be lost in translation (teen speak), I would definitely talk to the teacher to find out the logistics.

If the class is an all-year class, the students who moved INTO the class shouldn't have been moved in if it was overcrowded. Why would your daughter be the one to have to move? It doesn't make sense. Is it possible that she needs extra help, or an additional challenge?

I don't see why they can't move her. It's happened to both my daughters before. Unfortunately not every student can have the best teacher at all times. Maybe administration thought that your DD was a good candidate to be in the other class because they knew she would still be able to succeed in there.

Well the teacher has asked my DD and her friend to move. They are both getting A's in the class (just spoke w/her mom). So I am not sure if I email/call the teacher or her counselor? I agree it was not handled properly and am mad but don't want to step on toes and make matters worse. Funny - he told them there were 31 kids and he only has 30 desks.

There is probably some weird behind the scenes reason......one that I can think of is maybe a schedule change required the switch (a student with an IEP, a bullying issue with another class, etc.) However, you and your daughter deserve an explanation and you're not stepping on toes by asking for one.

I would send an email saying, "Emily came home from school today and mentioned that she would be moving to another class. I was surprised to hear this, since I thought she was doing well and she's always enjoyed your class. I was just wanting some clarification on the schedule change and why it was necessary. Any input you could give me would be appreciated! Thank you!"

find out how the determination of changing classes is done.

at ds's high school it's random computer selection-all the kids who can be moved into another identical class/period (by virtue of existing schedule) are thrown into the mix and the computer does a random pick. absent a VERY compelling situation (like an IEP with the existing teacher already set up vs. another with nothing set up) it's just 'the luck of the draw'.

if it's not done this way there is some room for negotiation.

Yes, they can do that to your daughter. If she wants out of the new class, your daughter is the one that needs to fix the schedule, not you. She does this by going to the office and talking to the GC.

Happened to my daughter this year- she got forced out of her English class which then messed up her whole schedule. She had 4 different schedules the first 4 days of school. And no, they don't call their parents-they are high school kids and have to start handling things like this on her own. She went to guidance and talked to them and they worked out something that gave her back some classes that she wanted but not all but they did the best they could.

Yes, they can do that to your daughter. If she wants out of the new class, your daughter is the one that needs to fix the schedule, not you. She does this by going to the office and talking to the GC.

I think your wrong about that, the girl is 14, not a college Freshman. It's up to the father or mother to step in but a good time for her to watch how they handle the situation and learn from it. The advice above about the email sounds good, polite, to the point and a bit flattering to the teacher involved as a first step. Me, I would probably say something to the effect of that email given in the example but would say it in person.

It is not actually changing her schedule or forcing her to drop a class, right? Just moving her into a different room with a different teacher in the same subject at the same time? I am surprised that anyone would expect the school to contact a parent over that, even in junior high much less in high school. :confused3

If she really loves that teacher and does not want to move, I suggest you advise her to try to talking to the teacher about it and ask if someone else could move instead, and if that fails she could try the counselor. You could role play with her on how to go about it, etc. It is a great chance for her to learn to advocate for herself, and decide what is worth the hassle of pursuing and what is not.

I think your wrong about that, the girl is 14, not a college Freshman. It's up to the father or mother to step in but a good time for her to watch how they handle the situation and learn from it. The advice above about the email sounds good, polite, to the point and a bit flattering to the teacher involved as a first step. Me, I would probably say something to the effect of that email given in the example but would say it in person.

In my opinion kids can handle schedule changes by themselves. My kids and many other children start handling class schedules in 7th or 8th grade. In high school they want kids to handle these situations by themselves. I'm not talking about handling a situation with a perverted teacher, angry teacher.... We are talking about a small thing - schedule changes. Both my daughters handle their own schedules with their GC. They will ask me for advice, but they have to talk to the counselor.

In fact, my 13 year old was switched out of a class and put in a different class when she came back to school from Christmas break. She talked to me about it and then went to the GC. The GC worked with my DD and fixed her schedule. I did not go down to the school. I did not write an email to the teachers or GC. I gave my daughter the tools to deal with this on her own.

Now, is the time for her daughter to learn how to handle situations by herself. Parents can get too involved and then children don't know how to do things for themselves.

I don't think this is a college level problem. This is not a teacher grading unfairly, or mistreating students, or even a child'S schedule being totally redone and leaving them shy of credits, it is a simple change with minor effects. It is very reasonable for a 14 year old to handle, IMO.

In my opinion kids can handle schedule changes by themselves. My kids and many other children start handling class schedules in 7th or 8th grade. In high school they want kids to handle these situations by themselves. I'm not talking about handling a situation with a perverted teacher, angry teacher.... We are talking about a small thing - schedule changes. Both my daughters handle their own schedules with their GC. They will ask me for advice, but they have to talk to the counselor.

In fact, my 13 year old was switched out of a class and put in a different class when she came back to school from Christmas break. She talked to me about it and then went to the GC. The GC worked with my DD and fixed her schedule. I did not go down to the school. I did not write an email to the teachers or GC. I gave my daughter the tools to deal with this on her own.

Now, is the time for her daughter to learn how to handle situations by herself. Parents can get too involved and then children don't know how to do things for themselves.

That's why I'm saying that it's a good opportunity for her to learn from her parents, like yours did but earlier it seems. To me it's too critical of a situation, the girls education for her to handle it herself and get a negative outcome. Any way, that's how I would have handled it and mine have been able to navigate quite nicely through large Universities and the scheduling issues that they have encountered there.

That's why I'm saying that it's a good opportunity for her to learn from her parents, like yours did but earlier it seems. To me it's too critical of a situation, the girls education for her to handle it herself and get a negative outcome. Any way, that's how I would have handled it and mine have been able to navigate quite nicely through large Universities and the scheduling issues that they have encountered there.

I guess that is the difference. To me, a change in teacher, even from a good one to one that is "not the best" but otherwise no disruption in the schedule is not critical. it is a minor annoyance and frustration, but no one gets to have the best teachers every time and everyone gets stuck with a few so-so ones once in a while. Getting stuck with one that might be so-so (though it sounds like the OP has no direct experience and is just going off of reputation) for a semester is not going to make or break an education (IMO).
Critical, in my mind, would be if there was a full schedule change that kept the child from being able to take a course she really wanted or needed for college acceptance, etc or moved the child into a class with a teacher with who there had been previous serious issues.

I don't think this is a critical situation. The daughter is still going to a teacher that can teach her the subject matter, she just isn't the best teacher (according to mother and daughter).

I sent an email to her GC this morning asking to please keep her where she is. My frustration is due to the fact that this is an all year class that was NOT full first semester. So how did it suddenly become full? Why not put the new student (who I am guessing has made it full) in the less-full class? We see lots of inconsistencies in policies in our HS so this should not have surprised us. I do agree w/PP that kids need to begin to learn in HS to handle their own situations. I wasn't looking to start a debate just wanted some opinions before I sent my midnight email. Thanks all and carry on!

Beachbum.... I think I have a good idea of what is going on here.... Issues with either of two things would warrant schedule changes.

1. Bullying... If there is a bully who MUST be removed from another class or a bullied child who just must be removed from the class where the behavior is occuring (and this should happen if all other avenues have failed to protect the bullied child) This would be taken under serious consideration. And mid-year would be the best time to make this happen.

2. IEP requirements... If it has been determined that the school is not meeting the needs of students who have valid IEP special needs (remember, I am the parent of a son who has very significant deficits in math skills) Then if they are required, by Federal IEP law/guidelines to, for example, provide another IEP inclusion classroom, with smaller class size and a SPED assistant... Then this also might be something that would just have to happen.

Either of these things are just so bad for a student like yours, who is kind of having to accept the shorter end of the stick. And, that is just awful.

Could other kids have been moved???? Yes... But, if the teacher openly admits to chosing to move your daughter and her friend, together (which is probably a nice gesture, a good thing????)

We don't have enough info here to give good advice.

Just know that if you really, really, want to try to keep your daughter in that classroom, you must go in with a positive attitude. Many times school staff can be just rude and dismissive and not wanting to hear from 'one of those parents'. But, there is also the chance that if you go to the right person in guidance/administration, with the right attitude... somebody might be able to help you.

It will work out, either way!!!

Good Luck!

I don't think this is a critical situation. The daughter is still going to a teacher that can teach her the subject matter, she just isn't the best teacher (according to mother and daughter).

I don't know where you live, but trust me, just because a teacher is "teaching" the class, means nothing. Sorry but I don't put blind trust in teachers, and if my kid is in a class that he or she is succeeding in,then I handle the situation at this age. There are too many crappy teachers out there.

Beachbum.... I think I have a good idea of what is going on here.... Issues with either of two things would warrant schedule changes.
Just know that if you really, really, want to try to keep your daughter in that classroom, you must go in with a positive attitude. Many times school staff can be just rude and dismissive and not wanting to hear from 'one of those parents'. But, there is also the chance that if you go to the right person in guidance/administration, with the right attitude... somebody might be able to help you.
It will work out, either way!!!

Good Luck!

Thank you and I agree. However, just received a text from DD as this class is 1st period. Teacher approached both girls and said something along the lines of 'thought you were both ok with moving'. They said no, we like it here and don't want to move. He said he has no control over students placing in but can kick out. Asked them if they would like to sit on the floor. They shook their heads no. He stormed out of the room. At this point she now has sent the text. Class ends in 10 minutes and I an really miffed. Both girls are A students and have had no issues w/him prior to this. Something's up and I can't figure out what but final exams begin Monday and this is extra stress that these kids don't need.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter