Over the top birthday cakes, parties and such

I made a 3 tier fondant creation for a child's 10th birthday. I had no idea what I was getting into when I 1st took the order (I am an at-home hobby baker) But in the end, it was off a picture on another cake, with hand molded figurines. The child was allowed to be very specific in the colors she wanted, where to put what figurine, and how many. Probably had 3 weeks of "consultations" with this family.

I was expecting it to be a "big deal" kinda birthday... after such attention to the little details. The hand-molded figurines put an already "pricy" 3 tier cake into the astronomical figures.

Originally I was supposed to deliver the cake to their home. But the night before, they requested I deliver it to the "venue"

(a dimly lit roller skating rink in a sketchy strip center)

Yes, I got paid. But my heart sank from all the attention to detail. Down to the "can you make the red more of a pink-y red then a Christmas red???" kind of requests. All For a kids only, mid day party at the roller skating rink :sick:

I also tend to go overboard with my daughter's birthday cakes. We had a big two tier frozen cake this year. In my defense it was only $40. My birthday is the same week as my daughter's so I never get a cake and I like to make sure there is still left-over cake so that I can always have birthday cake for breakfast on my birthday (super healthy, right?).

Up until this year I always made my son's cake (or cupcakes) and had a home party. This year he wanted it at a Bouncey place and I decided to buy the cake.

I have no idea what I was thinking when I purchased such a large cake but it could've fed probably 3 times the people it actually ended up feeding. Ended up using a partially eaten cake for a small family party, too (was going to make cupcakes).

So, it could be that the person is just a terrible estimator of how much food one actually needs, lol!!

So I went into our towns most wonderful bakery today to pick up my daughter's 1/4 sheet birthday cake and a few cupcakes for her party today. The lady had about 5 or 6 other cakes there waiting to be picked up as well. But one of the ones that I noticed the most was this most adorable 3-tier monkey baby shower cake. Soooooo cute!:thumbsup2

When I was looking at it though she for some reason shared with me that this cake was for a party for around 20 people. She just couldn't understand why they ordered such a big cake.:confused3 That cake she said could feed around 60-70 people!

She then stated to me that she thinks that its just the "thing" to do now to have a big cake at every event, but that this was good business for her. I know her and I don't think she would share this info and personal opinion with just everybody. So what do you think about people going over the top with birthday cakes, parties, etc. now days? It's like everyone is trying to out do the other. I spent around $150 for my daughter's party at home today.

Spending that much money on a cake (or having an elaborate party) is not something that interests me, but it does seem to be a 'thing' now. If you think of the shows like Cake Boss, Duff's fancy cakes (I can't think of the name of the show), all the cupcake shows, etc. fancy cakes are just a popular thing now.

I did spend $50 on a cake once for my daughter's party. I think it was the year she turned 6. She really wanted a Powder Puff Girls cake, and one of the local bakeries made it in one of those shaped pans like from Wilton and decorated it with all the little star tip designs all over. DD loved it, I was mortified at the price, but it was the only thing she asked for for her birthday (she didn't even want presents). Afterward she told me it was just what she wanted, but could I just bake a cake next year because mine tasted better (and I just use a box mix).

Eh, for the person who bought the 60-70 cake for 20 people they are probably using it as the showpiece anchoring the food table. Figured they would splurge a little since it is pulling double duty as food and decoration. Maybe it replaced a floral arrangement, maybe it will be sliced up and given out for favors as well. Served as a focal point for pictures. Cake freezes well. I make my daughter's birthday cakes and usually make too much so I just slice it up and throw them in the freezer.

And if they throw it out is it really a waste? Besides feeding people, it served a visual purpose during the party. Don't we throw out flowers once they have served their visual purpose?

I personally wouldn't spend a lot of money on a tiered, sculpted birthday but one of my friends does and I look forward to see the incredible cakes she has for each of her daughters. Don't feel obligated to have an elaborate cake and don't go into debt for it. To each their own.

I wouldn't spend a lot of money on a cake, but neither would I spend $100+ a month on a cell phone plan or $100+ a month for cable/internet. I would, however, spend way too much for a club level room at the Poly for a week :rolleyes:.

I don't judge or think about what other people spend their money on as long as it makes them happy (and is legal :rotfl:). 100 years from now no one will be around to remember the $250 birthday cake, $200 BBB experience, or $5,000 vacation you spent money on. Enjoy it while you can, prepare for your future and make memories that you and your loved ones enjoy, whatever that means to you :goodvibes.

Over the top birthdays seem to be one of trends of the moment. One of my family members has done them. The kids have a great time and I must say that the cake they get is delicious. They have the budget for it and it makes their child happy, so I say go for it!

My budget is a bit smaller, so I try to have fun activities that cost less. I have made the cakes for my son's first two birthdays. For his first birthday, I did a box mix smash cake for him and made plain vanilla/white icing cupcakes with the rest of the batter. I also made a cake mix doctor fancy cupcake recipe that looked pretty and two people thought was delicious, but no one else touched. They all wanted the plain box mix cupcakes!

There are so many other wasteful things that I get more worked up about. I kind of like the trend of big celebrations for happy life events. There's something to be said for getting the whole extended family together for an over-the-top baby shower or milestone birthday rather than reserving that kind of gathering for weddings and funerals. I'm not big on entertaining (but I am prone to a different kind of over-the-top - traveling for birthdays and milestones, sometimes bringing friends along) so we haven't done it ourselves, but I love that some of my cousins do so because it is nice to get together at a casual event like a birthday or shower.

As far as the size of the cake goes, I'd never heard of this until a baby shower I went to last month but the thing a previous poster mentioned about freezing the top layer of the shower cake for the baby's birthday like some people do with the wedding cake for the 1st anniversary is apparently a trend right now.

We have over the top birthday cakes for all my girls' birthdays... multiple tiers, one year we had Cinderella's coach all made out of cake! But that's only because my SIL is a cake decorator and has 3 boys so she loves going crazy on girly cakes. And I get them for free. If not for that, we'd have an ice cream cake or Giant Eagle cake every year.

I confess to having a "huge" 1st birthday party for my DD. But that was mainly because several out of town family decided to fly in for her 1st birthday (even though I had not planned any special party when they booked their trips). This seemed like the perfect reason have party, so I planned on! I think it was about 30 people (friends and family) and I just got a cake from Costco. $25 and it looked cute as a button! Overall the party cost maybe $250, and all the decorations I kept to re-use for future birthdays. I re-used them for her 2nd birthday and spent maybe $50 (just food, made my own cupcakes) on the whole party (this time it was a much smaller affair, maybe 12 people?).

Anyway, having a huge party/shower may not be a vanity exercise, it could just be away for family/friends that don't get to see each other often to get together, just so happens you can also order a really cool cake for the occasion!

My niece just had a birthday party for her 1 year old daughter. She spent about $75 for the cake & smash cake. The cake was adorable!!! But it was nasty! :crazy2: It had the consistency of cornbread and didn't look like it was done. Not "sad", just didn't look done inside. I had never seen cake like it. And did I say it was nasty??? :sick: And it wasn't just me that said this. Several people mentioned it to me. I didn't tell my niece or my sister.

MY DS turned 23 this past weekend. I made his cake according to the directions my SIL gave me for a cake that she makes that he loves. It uses cake mix, ready made frosting & chopped Hershey Bars. Spent less than $5 I'm sure. It was wayyyyy better than the pretty cake.

So you don't always get what you pay for. Unless you just go by looks! :thumbsup2

I think the most I ever paid for a cake was the one I ordered from the Disney World Bakery for DD's 15th birthday. I think it was about $60-$70. But, it was a personalized Disney Princess cake, and it was bigger than I thought it'd be. I think that was the best birthday ever-ambush, 1 day trip to MK (a total surprise-left Friday night and got back home Sunday night-10 hour drive each way), with lunch at Crystal Palace and a personalized cake. I don't think I'll ever be able to top that one.

I think the most I ever paid for a cake was the one I ordered from the Disney World Bakery for DD's 15th birthday. I think it was about $60-$70. But, it was a personalized Disney Princess cake, and it was bigger than I thought it'd be. I think that was the best birthday ever-ambush, 1 day trip to MK (a total surprise-left Friday night and got back home Sunday night-10 hour drive each way), with lunch at Crystal Palace and a personalized cake. I don't think I'll ever be able to top that one.

Wow! Best mom EVER!

This thread is timely for me since DS's 9th birthday is this week. I am taking these Skylander sheep cupcakes to school. I took them last year and he requested them again this year. I've made his cakes for the past few years. He had a penguin cake with an igloo and snowballs one year and a Jurassic Park cake with dinosaurs and a jeep last year. This year, he wants a pirate cake with a treasure map on it.

I made this cake for a work picnic a few years ago and everyone loved it.

I made a Carebear castle cake for DD one year but I've bought most of her cakes since I was working full time then. One year, I paid $50 for a 3 layer cake. It was rectangular and each layer sat directly on top of the others and got smaller and smaller. It had pink roses all over it with a ballerina bear in a pink tutu on top. Everyone said it looked like a wedding cake but DD loved it and that's all that mattered.

We like having leftover cake and the internet is great to inspire creativity.

My neighbor recently went to a 40th bday party. The cake (80s themed) cost $2,000:scared1:

I'm all for doing it up on milestone birthdays, but I personally wouldn't spend that much on cake.

My neighbor recently went to a 40th bday party. The cake (80s themed) cost $2,000:scared1:

I'm all for doing it up on milestone birthdays, but I personally wouldn't spend that much on cake.

OMG!!! That's a Disney vacation!!!! :eek: :faint:

Hmm I have only ever had one tiered fancy cake. For my wedding.

I have no idea how much it cost. My sister made it and it was her wedding present. I know she had to buy a $25 stand for it... But no idea how much it cost for all the ingredients.

My sister took a cake decorating course at Michaels years ago. Mom took it too but my sisters was really good at it.

I don't tend to spend a whole lot on the cake, but when I'm in the mood, I do like to organize really intensive birthday parties for my kids. As they get older, I've gotten lazier though!

What was super cool was going online on blogs and pinterest to see what the really pro people were doing and how elaborate the parties were getting.

My kids favorite was the year I did a Candyland party for them - complete with giant M&Ms and sweets hanging all over the place, a life-sized Candyland board game, and a candy buffet. It was a ridiculous amount of work because I had a very small budget (got really creative making things by hand).

Another year, I paid my artistic teen babysitter to help me plan a Circus party. I think I paid her $200 on top of all the material costs (probably another $200) and she designed, planned, and executed the whole party (in my house to reduce costs). Yes, I had tons of input but so wonderful to have someone else handle a lot of the detail work (I was super busy at work). I don't typically budget more than $200-$250 for a party but I was feeling guilty about working so much lol.

Wow! Best mom EVER!

Awwwwww! Thank you! :goodvibes I'm glad we did it when we did. DH's health has reached the point that shorter trips just aren't possible anymore. We have to go a lot slower and take frequent breaks, but that just means more time at WDW! :banana:

I don't tend to spend a whole lot on the cake, but when I'm in the mood, I do like to organize really intensive birthday parties for my kids. As they get older, I've gotten lazier though!

What was super cool was going online on blogs and pinterest to see what the really pro people were doing and how elaborate the parties were getting.

My kids favorite was the year I did a Candyland party for them - complete with giant M&Ms and sweets hanging all over the place, a life-sized Candyland board game, and a candy buffet. It was a ridiculous amount of work because I had a very small budget (got really creative making things by hand).

Another year, I paid my artistic teen babysitter to help me plan a Circus party. I think I paid her $200 on top of all the material costs (probably another $200) and she designed, planned, and executed the whole party (in my house to reduce costs). Yes, I had tons of input but so wonderful to have someone else handle a lot of the detail work (I was super busy at work). I don't typically budget more than $200-$250 for a party but I was feeling guilty about working so much lol.

I wanna go to that Candyland party!!! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter