Over night parking

benedicttw

Mouseketeer
We are making our first vacation to FW this summer with our new class A. We want the trip to be relaxing so we are not positive what date we are going to be arriving at the world. Are there any truck stops, rest areas, Walmarts that allow over night parking for RV's?

We travel down 95 from NH and frequently stopped overnight at Walmarts and the occasional truck stop. We've also stopped at a couple of rest areas in FL for the night after checking with the security on duty to make sure it was ok.

But it does vary by state which Walmarts/rest areas allow overnight parking, and in the case of FL, by county.

We don't usually have a set travel schedule. We have a rough idea of where we might be stopping though, and usually scout out those areas ahead just to make sure there will be somewhere we can pull off. Especially since we like to make sure it's an easy on/off to the highway.

I was told that in Florida it it illegal to boondock. Can you imagine the Wal-Mart parking lots around all the vacation spots if it was okay?

Also, in most states "camping" or "staying overnight" are prohibited at rest areas. "Resting" however, is okay. So don't put out any slides and don't overstay your welcome and you should be fine. A word of warning though, rest areas can be dangerous places at night, particularly in the south or near big cities. Choose one with on duty security.

This was news to be being from MN, where up here rest areas are okay. It's commonplace to find many people sleeping in their cars.

We usually park in Flying J truck stop parking lots. They generally have some RV parking lot space, and encourage you to stay. And they have showers for cheap, and usually a decent breakfast.

Unless things have changed since I quit in 2008, Wal-Mart's official company policy is to not allow overnight parking.

Ultimately, it depends on the store, or even the manager on duty, as to whether or not this is enforced.

In my experience, generally no one is ever been asked to move, especially if it was just an overnight. At my local Wal-Mart, an rv was parked for a week before anyone said anything.

Managers assume that someone overnighting in their parking lot will also end up shopping before they leave. They're not going to do anything to hinder a sale.

Just be aware that if the manager on duty/store manager is a real stickler, you may be asked to move.

I was told that in Florida it it illegal to boondock.
Boondocking is a local issue and there is no Florida statute prohibiting it statewide. As you get closer to tourist destinations you will find the local governments being more restrictive.

Unless things have changed since I quit in 2008, Wamart's official company policy is to not allow overnight parking.
Sorry, you must have missed something in your training at Walmart. Official company policy has always been to allow overnight camping unless prohibited by local ordinance.

Here is the quote from the Walmart FAQ page
Q:Can I park my RV at a Walmart store?
A:While we do not offer electrical service or accommodations typically necessary for RV customers, Walmart values RV travelers and considers them among our best customers. Consequently, we do permit RV parking on our store lots as we are able. Permission to park is extended by individual store managers, based on availability of parking space and local laws. Please contact management in each store to ensure accommodations before parking your RV.

Sorry, you must have missed something in your training at Walmart. Official company policy has always been to allow overnight camping unless prohibited by local ordinance.

Here is the quote from the Walmart FAQ page

No, I didn't miss anything.

In fact, in 2006, I looked into company policy prior to our trip. The written policy that I saw stated that overnight camping was not allowed. To my knowledge, there was never a change in company policy.

A LOT has changed at Wal-Mart since I quit in 2008. It is highly probable that the policy regarding overnight parking has changed, as well.

I worked at two different stores. One store allowed it; the other store didn't. In both cases, it was manger discretion and had absolutely nothing to do with local laws. And, no, the RVs weren't affecting parking. The store manager was just a jerk.

The wording in the FAQ is done very well. It leaves the store with the opportunity to not allow overnight parking even if local laws allow, while still keeping the company as a whole in the clear (i.e. The individual asked to move is only mad at that store in general and not the company.).

Flying J's are rv friendly and even have dump station at most, and TA's aren't too bad to rest up at.
get an exit book, it will tell you what is at every exit and if it's rv friendly, worth the price many times over.
good luck:thumbsup2

We always look for signs at any Walmart - the ones that don't allow overnight parking (especially if they're anywhere near the highway) are usually well posted.

We once pulled into a WalMart in Kissimmee and parked near the outskirts of the lot. It was still daylight, and a security car raced over immediately to tell us we couldn't stay there.

We've stayed overnight at 2 different FL rest areas along the interstates - once this year, once last. Both were posted "no camping" and both times we asked the security officer posted. Answer was the same both times, and was essentially what PP said - "resting" is fine. Don't put our your slides or awning, or otherwise look like you're taking up residency and it's not a problem.

We actually liked the rest areas because there was security parked right there overnight and they were quieter than truck stops and some Walmarts.

Flying J and Cracker Barrels are very RV friendly. You can check their web site for locations.

Flying J and Cracker Barrels are very RV friendly. You can check their web site for locations.

Definitely check ahead for Cracker Barrels that allow overnight parking. We haven't tried any recently because we were having a hard time finding any that weren't posted "no overnight parking" along 95.

I found this neat website: http://www.freecampgrounds.com/othercamps.html Makes me really wish we had a MH or RV.

thanks for the site. was very helpful and i see other uses for other trips.

thank you to everyone for the input. With more research I found a POI Mega file . http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/2595-poi-mega-file-pushpin-collections-truckers-rvers-other-travelers This shows many truck stops and resturants. It also has Sam's Clubs and Walwarts. The Walmarts are even marked if RVs are allowed to park overnight or not. Looks like any that are within 50 miles of the World are off limiits. That makes a lot of sense. I also found that most that do not allow parking is due to local restrictions and that many times the restrictions are pushed by the local RV parks.

The Walmarts are even marked if RVs are allowed to park overnight or not. Looks like any that are within 50 miles of the World are off limiits. That makes a lot of sense. I also found that most that do not allow parking is due to local restrictions and that many times the restrictions are pushed by the local RV parks.

I'm sure this is true, but please be aware that a store manager may make the decision that you're taking up too much parking - even if you're obviously not - in order to make you move. I've seen it happen. :sad2:

No, I didn't miss anything.

In fact, in 2006, I looked into company policy prior to our trip. The written policy that I saw stated that overnight camping was not allowed. To my knowledge, there was never a change in company policy.

A LOT has changed at Wal-Mart since I quit in 2008. It is highly probable that the policy regarding overnight parking has changed, as well.

I worked at two different stores. One store allowed it; the other store didn't. In both cases, it was manger discretion and had absolutely nothing to do with local laws. And, no, the RVs weren't affecting parking. The store manager was just a jerk.

The wording in the FAQ is done very well. It leaves the store with the opportunity to not allow overnight parking even if local laws allow, while still keeping the company as a whole in the clear (i.e. The individual asked to move is only mad at that store in general and not the company.).

Don't know how recent this pos is but in it is:

I called the corporate offices of Wal-Mart in Arkansas and asked what its overnight RV parking policy was. They were very friendly and said it was company policy to allow Rv'ers overnight parking. They also said it would be advisable to check in with the store manager when you arrive as a courtesy.

However, they said if we ran into a store that refused us we were to report this to them.

http://www.freecampgrounds.com/othercamps.html

Don't know how recent this pos is but in it is:

I called the corporate offices of Wal-Mart in Arkansas and asked what its overnight RV parking policy was. They were very friendly and said it was company policy to allow Rv'ers overnight parking. They also said it would be advisable to check in with the store manager when you arrive as a courtesy.

However, they said if we ran into a store that refused us we were to report this to them.

http://www.freecampgrounds.com/othercamps.html

Good information! :thumbsup2

I'm sure that it's probably rare that you could find a jackwagon of a store manager that refuses to let you overnight just because. My luck that I would work for one of the few. :rolleyes1

On the other hand, though, the same manager was given two options (due to other circumstances): retire early or be terminated. Needless to say, we were slightly on the happy side. ;) :banana:

We usually park in Flying J truck stop parking lots. They generally have some RV parking lot space, and encourage you to stay. And they have showers for cheap, and usually a decent breakfast.

Little story for those that eat at Flying J and other truck stops.

In 2009 went to the Fort with my brother, sister-in-law and Mom. Don't remember where, but somewhere on I77 we stopped to dump my tanks and get something to eat at a flying J.

So my brother and I get in line at the dump station and the girls go in to check out the food. The guy in front of us gets out of his RV goes over to his dump pipe gets down looks at it (no gloves), pulls out his sewer hose (again no gloves). My brother and I look at each other and say he isn't is he?! The guy pulls off the cap on the dump pipe (no gloves, getting the theme). hooks up his hose and proceeds to dump. At the end he undoes the hose with the inevitable drips on his BARE HANDS. :scared1: He puts everything away, never washes his hands and then moves the RV and Heads in. I dump my tanks (WITH GLOVES) and move up just as the girls come out. They get in and say the food doesn't look that good. They then say that guy in front of us in line went in and right to the buffet (NO HAND WASHING).:eek: At that point we left and ate our own food in the MOHO.

So to those eating the buffets, enjoy your food!!!!!!!

Dan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter