• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Over-budget vacation-Time to get frugal :(

FairestOfThemAll37

DIS Veteran
ugh. Time to get a bit frugal. I just back from a fantastic week of vacation overseas, but ended up spending a wee bit more than I had intended. I didn't really have a firm budget but definitely had some "expected amounts" for things.

On the list of things I didn't exactly budget for:
$270 train ticket
$80 lunch
$75 in taxis
$30 hotel breakfast
$10 in blister fixes

I didn't go into this with a budget mindset and was pretty spot on with the amount of stuff to bring home I thought I'd buy so all in all not too bad.

It wasn't as nearly as scary as I thought it would be when I checked my cc bill (ok, it was actually pretty scary). Probably because I also had about $600 in cash with me lol.

Anybody else hate going over budget on vacation?

ugh. Time to get a bit frugal. I just back from a fantastic week of vacation overseas, but ended up spending a wee bit more than I had intended. I didn't really have a firm budget but definitely had some "expected amounts" for things.

On the list of things I didn't exactly budget for:
$270 train ticket
$80 lunch
$75 in taxis
$30 hotel breakfast
$10 in blister fixes

I didn't go into this with a budget mindset and was pretty spot on with the amount of stuff to bring home I thought I'd buy so all in all not too bad.

It wasn't as nearly as scary as I thought it would be when I checked my cc bill (ok, it was actually pretty scary). Probably because I also had about $600 in cash with me lol.

Anybody else hate going over budget on vacation?
I hate it when I go over budget any time, not just on vacations. I doesn't happen very often because I tend to pad the budget for just about everything. The only exception would be home improvements. Those projects tend to get out of hand because one thing almost always leads to another...

We went over by about 1000 on our March wdw...thank you Petals pool bar ;). I did not care in the moment, but sighed when I got home. I try and repeat my mom's mantra "It's only money" and it helps me feel better. :tongue:

Fairestofthem all, Pray tell -- where did you go? DS is getting ready for an overseas study abroad program, so I'm getting vicariously excited -- even though I'll just be here in the US.

The biggest thing that I sometimes go over budget on are cabs. I think in a big city I'll use the metro/subway or walk all the time except for going to and from the airport when we have luggage. But then sometimes we are just tired and don't see a metro around or are running late and just get a taxi. And a few taxi rides can really add up. I'm been budgeting a little more for transportation these days if it's a city vacation. // And we always have our normal week's spending as sort of a slush fund for going over and have enough extra money in our normal budget that going over the vacation budget a bit isn't a big deal. That means that I budget what I think it will cost and don't pad monies set aside -- knowing I have a little cushion if I need it.

I think what I have found the most surprising in my vacation budgeting is that in areas with high restaurant and food costs I seem to spend the same as I do in areas with low food costs. In low food cost areas I go out to eat more at higher end restaurants / love to try the dining and am so delighted with the value. In high cost areas I just can't fathom the prices even if it's in the budget and tend to go to more modest places, cook in more (find a grocery store), eat left overs, etc. We just got back from NYC and I was totally surprised that I stayed within my food day of $100 a day for three people. I was really close to that, but just under.

I'll agree, that's not too grossly over budget. Yes, it'd be nice to come in under, but then you always have the "shoulda/coulda/woulda" mentality because you had a little extra left, lol.

Now if you still have that extra cash, I'd just put it into the cc bill and you're back in the good.

I'll agree, that's not too grossly over budget. Yes, it'd be nice to come in under, but then you always have the "shoulda/coulda/woulda" mentality because you had a little extra left, lol.

Now if you still have that extra cash, I'd just put it into the cc bill and you're back in the good.

Not too bad at all. I wish I still had the cash! I had it in local currency due to it being a rather cash based society.

Overall I spent probably $1500 (not including airfare and hotel) over the course of the 6 days so over expected incidental expenses by about 1/3.

Nothing to panic over but I'd like to replenish ASAP so going to attempt to be a bit more frugal for a couple months. Admittedly, that is not my strong suit!

Fairestofthem all, Pray tell -- where did you go? DS is getting ready for an overseas study abroad program, so I'm getting vicariously excited -- even though I'll just be here in the US.

The biggest thing that I sometimes go over budget on are cabs. I think in a big city I'll use the metro/subway or walk all the time except for going to and from the airport when we have luggage. But then sometimes we are just tired and don't see a metro around or are running late and just get a taxi.

I went to Tokyo :) I totally agree about the taxis. A few times it was late and last train had left or I was so tired I didn't feel like getting to the station, etc.

Do you have a plan of a way to make up that money in your daily budget? I know that the title was "time to get frugal". I recently had an unexpected expense of about $30. It was due to a really stupid mistake on my part and I was kicking myself over and over. But I decided to make it up where ever I could. I started by eating some foods in the pantry that I got for free (from my job) but didn't really love. Not unhealthy, just not my choice. But free food is still free food. Hard to make up $30 just by eating free instant oatmeal instead of eggs though. But I heard of a need for a short sub job after school one day (bus monitor) and jumped on the chance and it ended up paying VERY handsomely for one hour of work and I managed to make up the entire $30 all at once. It was an hour I probably would have spent at home on Facebook or doing laundry, so time well spent! And I had already arranged to sub a work meeting for my other job one evening, so that is another $20 plus mileage that I will add to my emergency fund! ...................P

I went to Tokyo :) I totally agree about the taxis. A few times it was late and last train had left or I was so tired I didn't feel like getting to the station, etc.

That sounds like an incredible place to go and experience. You'll remember your whole life.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter