• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ovarian cysts...

I have worked for GYNs for 10 years, have seen both men and women. Men can be just as sympathetic if not more than women. I prefer a woman over a man. I don't think this has anything to do with the op's situation, that Dr was a jerk, and would have been even if it had been in a woman's body.

You are correct of course: being a jerk knows no gender, as well as compassion knows no gender. I guess, though, in my instance the doctor was a little older and of a different generation, and I can't help thinking that a female physician, who knows her body and can see and feel and understand the meaning of changes in this area would have shown more concern about a diminishing period in a 24 year old. Not just because, as a doctor her textbook knowledge would have told her, but her personal experiences knowing what a fragile little ecosystem we've got going on inside.

I can't help thinking that had that first doctor sent me for the ultrasound that I eventually had, then maybe I wouldn't have lost an ovary because they would have treated me sooner.

So I stand by my recommendation to seek a second opinion. Never take the word of a doctor that is dismissive of you and your situation.

On my very first vacation to disneyworld, when I was 19 that was about 24 years ago, I started having severe back pain,slight blood in urine and pain in that area, felt like a kidney infection. I have fond memories of parts of the trip but I was miserable. I took those Azo pills and advil I'm sure. I was so young it never occured to me to find a dr. in disney.Now I know. When I got home and went to my dr. he said I had urinary tract infection, kidney infection and cyst on my ovary. I don't remember how big it was.He gave me antibiotics and bc pills and I don't remember what else, at that point I would have took anything. I got better pretty quick. The cyst did go away on its own. I've never had another one. I definitely would find another doctor.Hope you feel better soon.

Three months later it didn't shrink, so I had surgery. By the time they got inside the cyst was all twisted up with the ovary and they had to remove that too. They told me not to worry, that the left ovary would pick up the slack. I stayed on the pill forever to try to avoid growing another cyst. It worked. When I was 37 I decided I wanted to have a baby, so I went off the pill and got pregnant no problem.

I'm so glad to hear you say that you got pregnant no problem. My DD18 had a giant cyst last year on her right ovary. It was actually 10 pounds and they had to remove it like a c section. She had not had any pain and they found it when she went in to check on why her period was not quite right. By the time it was found, it had wrapped up around her right ovary and they had to take it, too. She is on birth control pills now to control any more cysts but she is concerned (me, too!) about losing her right ovary. This makes us hopeful :)

Heather

You are correct of course: being a jerk knows no gender, as well as compassion knows no gender. I guess, though, in my instance the doctor was a little older and of a different generation, and I can't help thinking that a female physician, who knows her body and can see and feel and understand the meaning of changes in this area would have shown more concern about a diminishing period in a 24 year old. Not just because, as a doctor her textbook knowledge would have told her, but her personal experiences knowing what a fragile little ecosystem we've got going on inside.

I can't help thinking that had that first doctor sent me for the ultrasound that I eventually had, then maybe I wouldn't have lost an ovary because they would have treated me sooner.

So I stand by my recommendation to seek a second opinion. Never take the word of a doctor that is dismissive of you and your situation.

I 100% agree with your last statement. I would ditch that GYN in a heart beat. Sounds like a real jerk.

They can be very painful. I have had several rupture. The last endometrioma that ruptured caused me to lose one tube and one ovary. I'm now on BCP nonstop due to the endo and cysts. I do think it's one of the worst things I have had happen yet. Wishing for a cure for endo before it takes over my whole lower body again.

I'm so glad to hear you say that you got pregnant no problem. My DD18 had a giant cyst last year on her right ovary. It was actually 10 pounds and they had to remove it like a c section. She had not had any pain and they found it when she went in to check on why her period was not quite right. By the time it was found, it had wrapped up around her right ovary and they had to take it, too. She is on birth control pills now to control any more cysts but she is concerned (me, too!) about losing her right ovary. This makes us hopeful :)

Heather

Yes, my mother was very concerned about my fertility too, which started to freak me out a little, LOL. For a time, whenever I had a twinge in the pelvic area I would get worried, even though, like your daughter, I never had any pain with my first cyst. I'm certain everyone assumed my DH and I couldn't have a child because 6 years passed without us starting a family, but we were working and DH started a business, so we were paying down debt, etc.

Anyway, my dad got colon cancer and I had one of those life changing moments where I thought life is short and precious and we were too worried about the things that didn't really matter. So I checked with my ob/gyn and went off the pill to cleanse my body and got pregnant pretty quickly. DD is 13 and an only child, but not due to fertility issues. My dad was sick and I just couldn't focus on having another child at the time. After he passed I was almost 41 and decided I was not going to have any more kids.

My only regret is that we waited so long to start a family. I would hav loved to have more if I were younger.

My best friend is dealing with ovarian cysts.

By the time hers were discovered, they were quite large, and had grown so in to the ovary, the whole thing had to be removed. She now only has one ovary and is dealing with recurring cysts there too. She takes oral birth control pills which is supposed to inhibit their growth.

The doctor said that had they been found earlier, they could have possibly been controlled with the birth control and not needed surgery.

Hers weren't found until they were so large because that's when they started causing her pain.

So they can certainly cause pain.

I hope you find a good new GYN who doesn't dismiss your health concerns! That guy is a jerk!

Hope you get this care of and can live pain free and healthy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter