Outrageous Prices, What have you seen?

Went to the store today and Edy's ice cream was BoGo. Great, I thought. But when I got to the aisle, the containers have all shrunk. Of course the price is the same. I didn't notice the ounces, but they've lost almost a quarter of the height they had. I rummaged around in the back and came up with two containers of the old size and felt proud, like I was sticking it to the man. Small victories, these days...:sad2:

I noticed the same thing with Hillshire Farms Kielbasa. The link is MUCH shorter. Of course, the price is the same. Same can be said for paper towels and toilet paper. Prices keep going up, but yet the rolls are smaller and smaller. The "big" roll is what the regular roll was years ago. Lipton Cup O Soup used to have 5 packages per box. Now it only has 4. :sad2:

I noticed the same thing with Hillshire Farms Kielbasa. The link is MUCH shorter. Of course, the price is the same. Same can be said for paper towels and toilet paper. Prices keep going up, but yet the rolls are smaller and smaller. The "big" roll is what the regular roll was years ago. Lipton Cup O Soup used to have 5 packages per box. Now it only has 4. :sad2:

It kills me when I see how the packaging gets smaller and smaller but the price stays the same!! Cereal and Chips are the same way. If the boxes/bags get much smaller they will be the same size as the "fun size". I have started buying the bigger bags of cereal from WalMart, and have stopped buying chips altogether. I noticed the change in the size of ice cream for the first time today. It's my DH's birthday and I stopped to get ice cream to go with his cake. They are now packaging ice cream as 1.5 quarts and selling it for the same price. I ended up getting the store brand that was still the full 2 quarts.:sad2:

At Safeway they used to have permanent display signs up that read "At Safeway a dozen is 14!" by the bagels and doughnuts. Those signs have been ripped down and replaced with hand written paper signs that read "Promotion over. Dozen is 12."

DD9 loves Uncrustables but they are $4.19 for a box of 4 at Safeway. Luckily I can get them at the Commissary for about half that!

DD9 loves Uncrustables but they are $4.19 for a box of 4 at Safeway. Luckily I can get them at the Commissary for about half that!

My dd likes those too. I bought the cutter from Pampered Chef and make them myself now. The cutter has paid for itself.:thumbsup2

I know everyone has the GAS issue - although ours here (Shenandoah Valley, VA) went from 2.66 to 2.79 OVERNIGHT! :scared1: :sick: I'm glad I filled up yesterday - you know - delaying the inevitable - but my DH, who had been reminded :mad: to get gas - waited :sad2: - so we will be well over $100 to fill up his Titan! Talk about :scared1:

I was dreaming this morning about when gas was under $3.00. Oh, how we wish. It was $3.65 at Costco, and that is way cheap. Compared to anywhere inbetween that and $3.99.

Great idea! How do you keep the bread from getting soggy? Do you freeze them too?

As the PP said, if you put the PB on both slices of bread it doesn't seem to soak through. I've never tried to freeze them, because it is so quick to make them in the morning. That, and the fact that my DD is so fussy that if it was the slightest bit "damp" after thawing she wouldn't touch it. Too SOGGY!!:rotfl2: This kid only eats about 5 spoonfuls of cereal at a time so it won't get soggy.

I know everyone has the GAS issue - although ours here (Shenandoah Valley, VA) went from 2.66 to 2.79 OVERNIGHT! :scared1: :sick: I'm glad I filled up yesterday - you know - delaying the inevitable - but my DH, who had been reminded :mad: to get gas - waited :sad2: - so we will be well over $100 to fill up his Titan! Talk about :scared1:

:scared1: :scared1: :scared1:

SORRY!! It was $3.66 to $3.79 and today it's $3.85!! Don't come after me! It was a freudian slip! :headache: I swear!

Sorry again - I really wouldn't have anything to complain about at $2.66!

SORRY!! It was $3.66 to $3.79 and today it's $3.85!! Don't come after me! It was a freudian slip! :headache: I swear!

oh man....and here I was planning to move to your neck of the woods for cheap gas;) .

We have cut down on eating out but I notice yesterday a 40 cent jump at CiCi's buffet and they've lowered the kid age for the buffet by 2 years!!:scared1:

As the PP said, if you put the PB on both slices of bread it doesn't seem to soak through. I've never tried to freeze them, because it is so quick to make them in the morning. That, and the fact that my DD is so fussy that if it was the slightest bit "damp" after thawing she wouldn't touch it. Too SOGGY!!:rotfl2: This kid only eats about 5 spoonfuls of cereal at a time so it won't get soggy.

A child after my own heart. I only put a few spoonfuls of cereal in my milk at once and eat that before adding more. I hate soggy cereal!

DD9 on the other hand loves the "frozen-ness" of the Uncrustables and eats them straight out of the freezer at home. Blech. I'll try the homemade ones and see if she likes them.

You must live where I live! Gas jumped from $3.69 to $3.85 overnight...due to Memorial Day weekend I'm sure. But a couple of stations in town stayed at $3.69 so people were taking advantage of that this morning.

I went shopping at one local grocery store in our town one that I rarely go to because they always seem more expensive. But I stopped by because they were offering some good coupons. And I saw that their milk prices were almost $.50 more than others in town. A package of Oscar Meyer hot dogs were $4. something....HELLO, I can get these for under $2.00 at other stores. My grocery bill came to over $170 for a weeks worth of food for a family of 4 and I didn't have any "big" purchases on it. Needless to say I won't be shopping at that store anymore.

DD went grocery shopping last week and spent over $300.. What did she get? Not even a full cart..:sad2:

:laughing:
I do this all the time I say 2.89 instead of 3.89
DH says I'm in denial and refuse to say gas prices are that high
Although today I had a freebie coupon for wendy's and decided to get a salad on my way after collecting checks and post office run- trying to do it all at once instead of wasting gas.
They don't have a dollar menu anymore- it's all 1.19 or higher..we don't eat out much so I guess people prolly knew that already.
and I went buy a gas station that had been 3.89 this a.m. when i dropped kids off at school and 4 hours later is:
4.04:scared1:

I did make a stop in the place that was still 3.85 for cash - yeah i will need gas at 4.00 a gallon one day soon but it makes me mad and I refuse to pay 4.04 when other s are still 3.89-3.85 :headache: all they are doing is making excuses to raise the prices.

Okay can I just say I'm pretty shocked at how much some of you pay for fresh fruits and veggies... do you have a famers market around you??? for a 10lb box of bananas I pay 2$ grapes are ALWAYS .99 a pound (no matter what color you choose) a basket of onions costs me .69 (usually 3 lg in a basket) oranges are usually 6/1$ carotts are usually 3 bags for 1.25$ baby carrots are 2 bags for 1.25 the most expensive thing I buy there are blackberries they are 2/4$ (which are normally 4.29 each in the store) Please check around everyone. Even if its a 20 min drive how much will you save?? I can get away with 25-30$ for a week's worth of fresh fruit and veggies... One of the best deals I can get there are potatoes 50 pounds for 6 or 7$ I've yet to buy this one because I dont know what the hell I'd do with 50 pounds of potatoes or how I'd carry them I'm a weakling!

Thats ok. I wont come after you. ;)

Gas in Illinois is the most expensive due to all our taxes and different "grades" of gas for each area. We're up to $4.59 in the city and $4.15 in the surrounding suburbs. That's outrageous, considering we're not an island (like Hawaii - you'd think they'd be the most expensive) we're in the middle of the midwest and it's mostly taxes (the calculate on a percentage, not a flat tax rate).:headache:

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this yet......milk. I wasn't paying attention to the price of milk much because it's a must have but I got my wake up call a few months ago when I looked at the price, almost $4 for a gallon of milk. I almost had an attack in the store. Those cows must be on strike or something!!! :confused3
You know, I got a wake up call too a couple months ago when I stopped at Target to grab a couple of things including a half gallon of milk. I only had a $10 bill on me. But, thought this would be enough plus I should get about $5 back in change. I was in such a rush, I didn't even notice what change I got back until I got home and found I had only gotten $1 back. I looked at my receipt thinking the cashier made a big mistake. I was shocked to see that half gallon of milk was over $3.:scared1: That was a shocker to me. Last time I had looked at prices(a few months prior), that half gallon was about $1.79.

Went to the store today and Edy's ice cream was BoGo. Great, I thought. But when I got to the aisle, the containers have all shrunk. Of course the price is the same. I didn't notice the ounces, but they've lost almost a quarter of the height they had. I rummaged around in the back and came up with two containers of the old size and felt proud, like I was sticking it to the man. Small victories, these days...:sad2:

Unfortunately, they have been decreasing the size of the ice cream containers for years now(Turkey Hill brand anyway). They used to be half gallon size(64 oz), then down to 56 oz, now they are at 48 oz.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter