• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Outfit/Park Theming (not just for kids!!)

Yup... We all coordinate - maybe not with eachother, but we do like to wear customs and theme them with our favorite characters...

This was our pirate day... Oldest dd is a teen - so she isn't much into customs anymore... Sigh.

Photo1798FourBySix.jpg

We did Toy Story this day:

Photo0831FourBySix.jpg

And our favorite Fab 5 characters this day:

Photo0531FourBySix.jpg

Photo0623FourBySix.jpg

For our upcoming trip - since my girls are mostly done with customs, I made all of our bags based on our favorite pixar movies - and we coordinate with our bags/accessories for the entire trip - with basic tees and tanks and just denim shorts.

Most of the fun for Disney (for us) is the planning of outfits and accessories. :thumbsup2

D~

I'm an adult and I totally plan my outfit based on where we will be for the day or a special character I'm hoping to meet. I'm disneybounding everyday during our October trip. So far I've got outfits together for Peter Pan, Russell from Up, Marie, and Minnie Mouse. I wish I could get my husband to join in now and I can't wait to have kids so I can dress them up too!

My family wants nothing to do with coordinating so we don't do it. The only outfits I plan are packing something nice for our TS dinner, other than that they all can wear what they want.
On a side note, I don't display any of my pictures, they are strictly just for the memories. If I was planning on displaying, or using them for X-mas cards or whatever I'd make sure we at least didn't clash :)

I pack only for myself, and usually pack plain, unprinted t-shirts. I think the printed ones look so busy in photos. "Theming" can go over the top and make the photos look worse, IMO. Sometimes you get the crazy screenprinted background, plus the character in a colorful costume, and then add everyone in printed t-shirts or crazy-colorful printed fabrics, and it gets too distracting.

My husband packs plain colored polo shirts, or simple pocket t's. DD19 does pack her Disney t-shirts and hats, but that's just one of us in something printed.

Awesome pics and I love that other adults like the to theme! You all certainly have the magic.:thumbsup2 And you brightened up my day. I have excatly 3 months til our trip and I'm starting to get excited again.

I have gone a little overboard buying disney shirts; especially since my son is in love with Disney movies now. I wish I had been on the band wagon back with the beautiful artsy princess t's came out and picked up a couple. I do have two outfits picked out so far for my self LOL. I'll match my son and daddy to them.

MK morning
Black Snow White tshirt (with red glitter!), red shorts, black converses or sandals and mickey ears

Princess Dinner
Cinderella tshirt (grey and blue) with tiffany blue shorts and matching vans

These sound great! :)

Awesome pics and I love that other adults like the to theme! You all certainly have the magic.:thumbsup2 And you brightened up my day. I have excatly 3 months til our trip and I'm starting to get excited again.

I have gone a little overboard buying disney shirts; especially since my son is in love with Disney movies now. I wish I had been on the band wagon back with the beautiful artsy princess t's came out and picked up a couple. I do have two outfits picked out so far for my self LOL. I'll match my son and daddy to them.

MK morning
Black Snow White tshirt (with red glitter!), red shorts, black converses or sandals and mickey ears

Princess Dinner
Cinderella tshirt (grey and blue) with tiffany blue shorts and matching vans

Love to coordinate, put the kids in themed outfits. For our MK take photo in front of castle day Dh and I wore denim and black shirts, I had black and red headband. DD5 wore a red and white polka dot shirt, yellow bow. DS15m wore overalls, red shirt and I glued a black Mickey head to the shorts. (Yes hot glue, it was cold back home in ny and I knew he was outgrowing the overalls, so why not? It actually came right off so if you don't like sewing or are lazy like me go for it!)

Dd wore a blue dress with silver round dots on the skirt to Epcot, a Japanese looking dress on another Epcot day...subtle but made me happy! I made sure the kids didn't clash. Right now I am looking for clothes for this trip! Hard to find on a Budget might make something. I used to be a production designer/ art director so it makes me happy!

Do you guys think sticking to classic Mickey colors..red, black white and yellow...looks best for MK? It's easy for all genders....

I definitely plan my outfits to what park we're going to/what characters we'll see that day!
There's a thing called Disneybounding, where you wear clothes that resemble the characters costume, and do things to somewhat look like them, without actually wearing a costume. Ie; big bun and a green dress and voila, Tink.

This coming trip I'm doing:
Minnie at Chef Mickeys
Rapunzel, Gaston, Ariel at MK
The FOTLK bird, and an animal print shirt at AK
Snow White at Epcot (yellow skirt, blue shirt, red bow kinda thing]

In the past a friend and I have done:
Peter and Tink at MK
Buzz and Woody Hair bows at DHS
Ariel and Rapunzel at Epcot
Ralph and Lottie for our last day

We found that with the extra little "nod" to the characters that we ended up getting more attention and had some amazing character interactions!

I definitely plan my outfits to what park we're going to/what characters we'll see that day!
There's a thing called Disneybounding, where you wear clothes that resemble the characters costume, and do things to somewhat look like them, without actually wearing a costume. Ie; big bun and a green dress and voila, Tink.

This coming trip I'm doing:
Minnie at Chef Mickeys
Rapunzel, Gaston, Ariel at MK
The FOTLK bird, and an animal print shirt at AK
Snow White at Epcot (yellow skirt, blue shirt, red bow kinda thing]

In the past a friend and I have done:
Peter and Tink at MK
Buzz and Woody Hair bows at DHS
Ariel and Rapunzel at Epcot
Ralph and Lottie for our last day

We found that with the extra little "nod" to the characters that we ended up getting more attention and had some amazing character interactions!

Feel free to post some pics of those!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I absolutely pre-plan my outfits, becoming increasingly more obsessive about it with every trip. :groom:

Magic Kingdom: I generally shoot for something that's either classic Disney (like Oswald) or something that invokes the parks themselves (this year, Haunted Mansion Hatbox Ghost t-shirt).
EPCOT: something worldly or non-descript, but "dressy" (like a comfortable button-up). Last year I wore a Les Miserables shirt.
Hollywood Studios: Star Wars. Star Wars. Star Wars.
Animal Kingdom: Typically something that combines Disney & animals, which is most things Disney.

I just read over all of that and kind of hate myself.

I had t's made for DD that say "My Disney Quinceanera in _____ " for each of the parks (DD chose the color for the park) and one for DS that say's "My Sister's WDW Quinceanera" and I will have ones for DH and I made up.

I am hoping that by seeing the shirts, DH will not pack a week's worth of Tap Out T's that he so loves. I love the idea of color-coordinating, but have to get the guys on board.

Of course, DS has taken to wearing polos, so maybe I can get him to take the ones that match the colors of DD's shirts. I will probably take solid-colored shirts that match DD.

My group likes to dress for the day. Since this next trip we are celebrating my DD's 42nd we are all going as a Pooh character one day, a Minnie, a Fairy, A Toy Story. It helps that we all sew and have an embroidery machine

Judy
3rd trip of 2013 coming up in Oct, with another in November

:yay:

This summer I wore a colour that matched my 4yo DD's top. It wasn't really planned but she said to me part way through the day, 'Mommy, I like that we match. It makes it really easy for me to always see you!'

So, from then on the matching while out at busy places began. I like that it makes for nicer photos but more so I do it for my DD.

Tonight is final packing for us. I'll choose her outfits first then I'll coordinate for her. Heh...not hard when my entire summer wardrobe is a rainbow of single coloured t-shirts and plain cotton pants. :)

I do plan my outfits, also to help with overpacking. I find that trying to make clothes complementary makes for better pictures.

For example: say you luck out total and get Minnie, Mickey & Pluto together for a photo! This will be frame- worthy, right? Well, not if Grandpa's wearing red & grey plaid, Grandma's in tropical, orange & yellow print tee, Dad's wearing NASCAR silkscreen, Mom's wearing black & white stripes, Jacob is wearing a fireman tee & Ava's wearing a purple and white floral sundress. KWIM?

This made me giggle. We don't plan out our outfits and have some of these more interesting clothes combinations. Part of the fun, I think.

At one point I considered trying to put together outfits just for my DD and I but it was just too much of a pain so I gave it up.

My husband and son would never, ever match outfits. I want to do a family photo this year and try and coordinate our colors for it and I'm sure it's going to be a big problem as far as they are concerned.

I generally go for the "not naked", "comfortable" and "don't wear black t-shirts in the middle of summertime" look. And it seems to work, regardless of which park I'm in, or which characters I might meet."

I am with you! :thumbsup2

The OP sounds like she is already kind of stressed over her trip, this will probably just add to the stress.
I say go with the flow, a 2 year old is likely to need more clothing changes than the rest of the family, go with the flow and relax! Enjoy your kiddo!

I SOOO plan my (and my DDs) outfits to what parks we are going to each day. First of all, it helps me from overpacking which I am horrible about. Also, it kinda keeps everything themed. For example, at AK last visit I wore a leopard print Mickey shirt, at MK I wore my Cinderella shirt, etc.

Having a plan as to what tops and bottoms I'm wearing everyday keeps me from bringing too much of one thing and not enough of another. :goodvibes

I didn't really theme my outfits, but I did wear shirts with Disney characters every day and I'm 21. For AK, I did wear animal print rather than a character. I did plan to wear my Peter Pan shirt when I met Tinker Bell and my Ariel shirt when I met her and they got a kick out of them!

This made me giggle. We don't plan out our outfits and have some of these more interesting clothes combinations. Part of the fun, I think.

At one point I considered trying to put together outfits just for my DD and I but it was just too much of a pain so I gave it up.

My husband and son would never, ever match outfits. I want to do a family photo this year and try and coordinate our colors for it and I'm sure it's going to be a big problem as far as they are concerned.

One huge help people overlook is just to wear solid colors. If nothing else they are easier on the eye. We've gotten some of our best Christmas card photos from this simple step!

I bought some dri fit t-shirts today for me to wear in the parks. They were on sale at JCP and I was limited as to colors. One is a coral color (not a color I wear a lot) and I thought about this thread and then I wondered which of my daughter's outfits it would go with the best. I think I am going to wear it for our Animal Kingdom day with brown shorts. That will match my daughter's brown giraffe print outfit, right? Yeah, I am way overthinking this now. :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter