• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Outer Banks vacation rentals for 2011

PirateDad

Look Out Below!
We are planning a family get together in the Outer Banks in July, 2011 and are looking to rent a house that will accomodate 22 (11 adults, 11 children). So we would probably need a 9 or 10 bedroom house.

We've stayed at the OBX in the Nags Head area before. Does anyone here have a good reliable realtor down there? We're looking for something on or pretty close to the beach. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for your help!

We rent the same house at the OBX every year and use Twiddy Realty. They have a huge inventory and it's fun to browse their houses online:

http://www.twiddy.com/

Sun Realty is another big one down there, as well as Southern Shores Realty. I would recommend any of these 3 as I've had personal experience with them. They all have fairly large inventories so it's a great place to start.

http://www.sunrealtync.com/
http://www.southernshores.com/rentals/index

Have you tried vacationrentals.com? We've had good luck with them on 2 rentals now.

There are great places to stay farther south on Hatteras Island. We are doing our vow renewal at the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse in June next year. We rented a 9 bedroom event home to have the reception at for the week and have our family from the west coast staying with us. It cost us around $4,500.00 for the rental in Frisco. Some other realty companies are Outer Beaches Realty, Midgett Realty, and Hatteras REalty. We have rented from all in the past and they are all great to work with.

We rented a house from CoveRealty.com and they were very helpful. We had two dogs with us too and they helped us find a nice vacation spot where we
would be comfortable with them. Check out their website.:)

We rent through www.carolinadesigns.com and have always been happy with their service. I like that you can see the floor plan of the house including bed sizes on the website. We usually rent in Corolla but I believe they have a 2nd office further south in Kitty Hawk or somewhere thereabouts

We're renting a house called "Mucho Dinero" from Carolina designs next July.

We have over 30 people-the house has 14 bedrooms and out of the few houses that size, it had the lowest rental rate.
I liked it because there wasn't one huge master bedroom-All the King rooms look similar in size. We're going with DH's family and I could just imagine the brawl over who got the master suite,,,

We also used Twiddy Realty. We stayed in Corolla (I think). The name of the house was the MacDaddy. The house was HUGE and had an elevator inside! lol The kids had a blast with that, the pool table, arcade game and theater room inside and the pool and beach outside.

We've used both Twiddy and VillageRealty......Village has most of the homes at the Currituck Golf Club in Corolla.......haven't been to OBX for the past three years, though. To other poster......funny story about kids, pets, and elevators......about 7 or 8 years ago the house we rented at the Currituck Club also had an elevator....our youngest was about 12 at the time, my nephew was 10 and we also had our dog with us......well, our kids thought the elevator was neat too.....and every time there no adults in the immediate vicinity .....would go for a ride up and down.......until the day the elevator jammed between floors.....and as a safety feature... lost power.....no lights at all in the elevator ......with two kids and a dog stuck in there. My DH and I were out for a walk and my SIL and BIL were the adults home at the time.......both panicked as did the kids in the elevator......BIL ran outside and stopped the trolley .....which happened to be driving by on the way from the beach....and asked the driver to look for us....... Well......here we were walking.....the trolley stops and the driver said "I believe your housemates are looking for you.......something about two kids and a dog trapped in the elevator"!! Fortunately, our older son....who was about 21 at the time.....got home before we did.......and he remembered something he read in the house information about an emergency elevator key.....so.....being the logical guy he is......started looking on top of the door frame of the elevator for this key.....found it.... in order for the elevator to reset and start again the key needed to be inserted in a special receptacle........needless to say neither boy went near the elevator the rest of the week......our nephew to this day isn't too fond of elevators.

Give Sun Realty a try. We've always stayed with them for our family vacations and have rented very large houses most of the time. They have the most cottages it seems from the signs we see. Lots in the South Nags Head area and Corolla and all points in between. We tend to stay on the 2 ends, north and south. Always great houses and great times for our family. Easy website to navigate too to narrow down your choice of house. Friendly folks and good prices! sunrealtync.com

We've used both Twiddy and VillageRealty......Village has most of the homes at the Currituck Golf Club in Corolla.......haven't been to OBX for the past three years, though. To other poster......funny story about kids, pets, and elevators......about 7 or 8 years ago the house we rented at the Currituck Club also had an elevator....our youngest was about 12 at the time, my nephew was 10 and we also had our dog with us......well, our kids thought the elevator was neat too.....and every time there no adults in the immediate vicinity .....would go for a ride up and down.......until the day the elevator jammed between floors.....and as a safety feature... lost power.....no lights at all in the elevator ......with two kids and a dog stuck in there. My DH and I were out for a walk and my SIL and BIL were the adults home at the time.......both panicked as did the kids in the elevator......BIL ran outside and stopped the trolley .....which happened to be driving by on the way from the beach....and asked the driver to look for us....... Well......here we were walking.....the trolley stops and the driver said "I believe your housemates are looking for you.......something about two kids and a dog trapped in the elevator"!! Fortunately, our older son....who was about 21 at the time.....got home before we did.......and he remembered something he read in the house information about an emergency elevator key.....so.....being the logical guy he is......started looking on top of the door frame of the elevator for this key.....found it.... in order for the elevator to reset and start again the key needed to be inserted in a special receptacle........needless to say neither boy went near the elevator the rest of the week......our nephew to this day isn't too fond of elevators.

:lmao: The house we always rent has an elevator, too, and there is a sign posted that says "This elevator is NOT a rocketship! Please don't let kids blast off without an adult present!" :rotfl: I love not having to carry my laundry up 2 flights of stairs... we get so lazy on vacation... :rotfl2:

We've also used Sun Realty a few times. I know there are big houses up in Corolla which are beautiful and sleep a ton of people.

We have been to OBX for many years, but most recently we have stayed further north (since we all come in from the north) in Southern Shores. We love this location and will definitely be going back.

We use http://www.southernshores.com/

We've used both Sun and White Reality. We think Sun is a little more lenient with deposits and early check-ins.

Have a wonderful time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter