• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Outdoor cat enclosure?

Silent1CB

DIS Veteran
Has anyone here built one? Did you use chicken wire or something else?

Our prior cat was elder and didn't roam far from our deck when I would take her outside. We have 2 newer kitties that I've been taking outside a couple times a week now that the weather is nicer. They too have been staying near our condo building, but have been going on to all the neighbors decks also. They are still learning their way around & do not listen to my commands. One neighbor is not happy about the cats there because he has bird feeders. Another neighbor leaves their cat out all day & the cat has been blamed for killing some birds. Our cats will not be outdoor cats. Just out for 1/2 hr maybe once a week for fresh air & grass.

As much as I hate to, I may have to build some sort of enclosure under our deck where we currently have a flower garden & only allow the kitties in there if they are to go outside at all now. :guilty:

I don't want to put them on a leash or lead system as I want them to be able to get away if a dog comes in the yard.

We've lived here a very long time. All our neighbors are great & we all get along like family. This behavior from my neighbor as of yesterday is a bit upsetting to me. He basically was telling me I didn't love them by letting them outside - even though I was with them. They have flea, tick & worm meds & all their shots. I know that won't prevent everything, but I have never ever kept our animals entirely in the house. They've all enjoyed fresh air a little bit each week and have lived very long lives.

I understand it is his deck & if he does not want my cats there, it is my duty to do something about it.

Simple fencing seems to work well. :rotfl:

2563455132_60d53ff916.jpg

Seriously, though. I think chicken wire would work fine. Do some Google searching for it, I bet someone has built something like what you are looking for.

I never heard of this, but I commend you for being a responsible cat owner. I agree with your neighbor, cats (or any pets) should not be allowed to stray from the owner's property. Aside from killing birds and digging up flowers, I can tell you I will never, ever forget having to scoop up that dead kitty in the street to my cul-de-sac that had been hit by a car before any of my family members saw it. Made me sick in more ways than one.:sad2:

Good luck.:hippie:

I used chicken wire to inclose my deck into a cat safe playland. The wire is attached to the decking poles and goes all the way up to a few inches from the roof (gap is for our birdy freinds to get in and out to nest in the gap between the deck wall and the house) so the kitties can go out when Im home. seeems to be working pretty well for us

I never heard of this, but I commend you for being a responsible cat owner. I agree with your neighbor, cats (or any pets) should not be allowed to stray from the owner's property. Aside from killing birds and digging up flowers, I can tell you I will never, ever forget having to scoop up that dead kitty in the street to my cul-de-sac that had been hit by a car before any of my family members saw it. Made me sick in more ways than one.:sad2:

Good luck.:hippie:

Yes, growing up, I lived on a busy street & that was a problem. Luckily now, we live in the country, and there is very little traffic especially in our condo area since there are only a few units.

I wouldn't think chicken wire would be strong enough to stop a big dog from trying to push through.

HI! :goodvibes My family inherited my aunts beloved kitties when she passed away last year. They are both huge males, and one of them has a need to wander around and the other one does not, he is lazy! :) We built them a "kitty Corral" out of vinyl fencing. Its about 6 feet high, probably about 30 feet long, and about 15 feet wide. (if that makes any sense, I am not good at measurements) but we just attached it to the back of the house, its easy to access from our screened in back porch, they kind of let themselves in and out. No dogs can get in, (or bears, although I imagine if it had wanted in bad enough it would have got in, we had trouble with one coming around alot last year) nor can the boys get out. It works great! Hope this helps some! :upsidedow

I can't remember the name of it, but they make special fencing for kitties that are climb-proof. A lot of cat rescue organizations around here use it :)

I've got to keep it kind of low key too. Don't think condo is going to allow me to be putting up 6 ft white vinyl fences. ;) I'll look into the cat proof fence thing.

I don't let mine out at all. One of our first cats, we tried doing the little bit outdoors. No way, he got a taste of outside and he was not putting up with my limits :rotfl:

He would run full steam and dive between the dogs legs to get out. He was very good at it. We compromised, he could go out during the day, but had to stay inside at night (dead end street, low risk)

We have 2 now that are full house cats. One tries to make a break for it every now and then. but no, she is not bright enough to be outside

I have a 3rd that was a stray and wandered in one day and stayed. She can go out, can't jump over the fence and just likes to lay in the sun (smart girl)

YMMV, ,but partial in and out did not work for us AT ALL! All felines entering will remain housecats exclusively

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter