• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Our Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah Wedding Day ~ 3/8/10 ~ Ohana's/Grand 1/WP/Narcoossee's

ZipADeeEm

Mouseketeer
Yes. I am finally starting my TR. I never quite got around to doing the whole PJ-thing, but I wanted to put this out there for a couple of reasons.

1. I am hoping to add to the amount of helpful information out there for future DisBrides. I know I learned so much from these boards, and I just want to give a little back. But before you get the tissues out, I do plan to keep it brief and just do the highlights. I’m a busy married woman now!

2. I wanted to show off the work of our vendors—which I know we are all interested in! We had such a great experience, and it wouldn’t have been possible without all their help. (I think I’m going to do vendor reviews as I go along, just to keep you reading!!)

At the end I’ll do a summary of what our favorite parts of our days were and what we wish had gone differently. But all this to say we had an awesome Disney wedding, and we will fondly remember it for the rest of our lives.

So sit back and keep your hands and arms inside the ride at all times….

Stats:

Bride and Groom: Emily and Ryan
Guest count: 25 (including us!)

Welcome Events: Saturday night
Ohana’s, followed by the Grand 1 yacht for “Wishes” fireworks

Wedding Events: Monday morning
Escape Ceremony ~ the Wedding Pavilion @ 10am
Brunch reception ~ Narcoossee’s (at the GF) @ 11:30am

Additional Wedding Day Vendors:
Hair/Make-up: Patricia LeJeune
Photography: Misty Miotto
Special Guests: Mickey and Minnie Mouse
Silhouette Artist: Kathryn Flocken

Hotel: Animal Kingdom Lodge—we had rooms in both the Jambo House and Kidani Village (love DVC!)

Total time in Disney: Saturday – Wednesday (4 nights)

Honeymoon: Princess Cruise through the Panama Canal (I know....not Disney!)

To peak your interest before I get into the nitty-gritty details (and the not-so-professional pictures my family took of the Welcome events!!), I thought I’d throw in a few of our favorite pics from Misty Miotto!

smallAKLkiss.jpg

smallcar.jpg

I already posted this one on the POTD thread...
smallerMMheart.jpg

Can't wait to hear all about your wedding, lovely pics the one with Mickey & Minnie is so cute :)

Can't wait to follow along! We are having some of the same vendors (Misty & Patricia) and we are having Ohana's and possibly a Wishes cruise as well so I'm really excited to hear all the details:hyper:

Our sub-title to our wedding should have been “A Wishes Wedding on an Escape Budget.” DH and I are very budget-minded (I'll try to point out things we did to save $$ throughout this TR!), and we carefully calculated out all that we wanted for our wedding. After considering that the Escape package included all the taxes and gratuities, we figured that we could have everything that we wanted (including the welcome events, the brunch reception, and the characters) for slightly less than the minimum for Wishes. Of course to make this happen, we were very tight in some areas (like additional floral and no upgrades on the cake, etc.). Other reasons we wanted to stay with the Escape package were that we were interested in keeping a relatively small guest list. And honestly, I didn’t want to deal with the room block! So it worked out best for us to do the Escape package, but that meant that I had to arrange all the “Welcome Night” Events myself!

After reading the great reviews of Ohana’s on here, we thought it sounded like a great, family-friendly option. We had our family join us for the event @ 5:30pm Saturday night. The check-in process was a bit of a pain, but the environment of the Polynesian was great. My BIL said he felt like he was in Hawaii—which I thought was a great compliment. All 18 of us were seated at one huge table, the food was to-die-for, and the entertainment (a traveling ukulele player/singer—I had to look up how to spell that one!) was great. In the ressie I had mentioned it was some of the kids birthdays, and they brought them cupcakes! Although we had also mentioned in the ressie that we were getting married, they didn’t do anything for us—which was totally cool for us because we both don’t like to be the center of attention. And we also didn’t have any wedding clothes or paraphernalia on! Sorry I don't have any good pics of the food!!

(side note: I looked all over for a Disney hawaiian shirt for DH, but couldn't find one at a price I wanted to pay! So, I printed an image from the original Tiki Room poster on an iron-on transfer, put it on a t-shirt, and it turned out looking great! He actually put this shirt on tonight after work!!)

smallOhana.jpg

smallOhanagroup.jpg

I’m going to steal Boardwalk Bride’s rating system (hope it’s not patented!)

Ohana’s for Welcome Dinner: 10/10

From here was all took the monorail over to the Grand Floridian, of course point out the Wedding Pavilion on the way!

I'm so happy you had a wonderful experience a Ohana's! Very reassuring! Anxiously awaiting your post on the Grand 1!

Great start to your TR! It looks like you had a lovely time at O'hanas (10/10 is pretty good lol) I look forward to reading more!

Oh and your sneak peek wedding photos are beautiful!

I'm so happy you had a wonderful experience a Ohana's! Very reassuring! Anxiously awaiting your post on the Grand 1!

Everyone (young and old!) had a great time there. I'm so glad we did this because it really set the mood for a fun wedding experience. And the yacht post is coming up next!!

Great start to your TR! It looks like you had a lovely time at O'hanas (10/10 is pretty good lol) I look forward to reading more!

Oh and your sneak peek wedding photos are beautiful!

Thanks! :goodvibes

We finished at Ohana’s at exactly 6:30pm, took the monorail over to the GF, and hung out in the lobby for a bit. It was a good time for our families to mingle, especially since my sister and her husband have never met DH’s family before. Can you tell she’s shy?!?!

MelanyTate.jpg

We wanted to watch “Wishes” from the yacht (another idea I got from the DisBoard) which started @ 8pm, so we booked it for 7:30pm for one hour. It was pretty cool that night, so we bundled up and headed over to the marina (@ the GF). I had a surprise for DH waiting on board—a Splash Mountain-themed cake! I had worked this out with Pat at the GF Bakery. The cake was delicious—it was marble with custard and fresh strawberries for the filling. A number of our family said it was the best cake they ever had!! We served that up as we sailed around Bay Lake and the Seven Seas Lagoon. The captain even took us over to the WP, but we almost got stuck in the sand because the water is really low there! He had to rock the yacht out of the sand bank! I thought my FIL, who has spent a lot of time on the water, was going to burst! Then we legally “parked” with a perfect view of the castle and fireworks. It was so great to share that with our families.
The yacht was amazing with three bedrooms, a washer and dryer, and multiple sitting areas. We comfortably fit 18 people on there, and it was wired with the Wishes music. And the captain and assistant were very friendly, gave us a few extra minutes on the yacht, they dropped us back off at the Polynesian (where most of our guests had parked), and they took a group photo of us at the end of the night.

It looks small in this picture, but big in person!
grand1.jpg

They had it decorated for us!
backgrand1.jpg

Checking out one of the bedrooms aboard!
sophieyacht.jpg

We gave out gifts to everyone, and all 18 of us (and the 2 CMs!) squeezed onto the upper deck!
upperdeck.jpg

Our view of the fireworks!
grand1fireworks.jpg

Grand 1 yacht: 10/10 for a totally unique experience!

We got the ¼ sheet cake, based on the number of people that we had. We had massive leftovers, and the assistant on the yacht even gave us boxes to cut it up and distribute to our families. It made a delicious breakfast the next morning! I was slightly disappointed in the cake decorations (I had said “Splash Mountain,” with Disney nametags [Ryan worked in Disneyland for many years], and the saying "taking the plunge"—I thought they would have been a little more creative, but I think they were wanting it to look classy), but that is only because I know how much it cost!

cake.jpg

GF bakery cake: 8.5/10
delicious, but pricey!

After this evening, I wondered if our wedding could be better than all that we did this evening!

Great new post. The Grand 1 is such a unique experience that you will never forget! We did something similar on the last big family trip that we went on, and it was amazing!

That cake looks like the most delicious thing...ever lol

I don't care that you are using my rating system :lmao: To me, it is easier to understand!

I love that you got picks in AKL with your wedding gown. When I checked in there, I wished I would have had pre-ceremony photos there, since it is so beautiful!

I'm glad you enjoyed Ohana's. We had awful service there, and DH and I were not impressed with the food, although other members of our group were. I think we may be the odd ones out in terms of food, but everyone hated our waiter.

The grand 1 looks amazing! I wish I would have done for our rehearsal instead of an Epcot DP!

Can't wait to read more!

Great reviews! I am so glad to hear a good review of 'Ohana. We are doing our welcome dinner there and there are so many mixed reviews.

The Splash Mountain cake is so cute! It came out really good.

Glad you enjoyed the experiance on the Grand 1, the photos are lovely. We are planning on doing the Wishes cruise on that on the evening of our wedding.
The cake looks fantastic. Look forward to the next installemant :)

yay I'm glad you started your TR!! I'm happy to hear you had a good review for Ohanas since that's where our Welcome dinner will be!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter