Our Wishes Wedding~11/7/2013~WP/WHR~Updated 9/19: Tuxes & BM dresses

I love ALL the dresses!!

Good for you for keeping up with your budget so dilligently! I can't wait to see your final budget!

This is a mini update. Work has been insane recently, so I haven't had much free time as I've been devoting the rest of my life to commuting and sleeping. I've also been using all my weekends to try and finish my Tudor costume.

I haven't written much else for the wedding, I'm starting to get more annoyed at waiting, but at least I can now say we're getting married next year. It still seems like an eternity away.

DF's constant denial of my weight complex has finally cracked through my skull (it only took six years). I have decided that I'm going to dump the weight goal. It's hard for me to lose weight because I can't do regular exercise because of medical issues, so I'd have to do 90% of it by eating. I'm sorry, but I love food too much to eat salads and drink water every day (kudos to those who can).

I also came to the realization that if I do lose the 25-30lb I wanted, I wouldn't be able to wear most of my clothes. I loathe clothes shopping and really don't want to have to force myself to do it. I also would lose my proportional figure, which DF always compliments me on. What can I say, the boy loves my curves.

It's also very likely if I lose really any weight at all, I might not be able to alter my dress to fit. It's already a bit big (maybe an inch or two), and they can't hem the skirt because of the beading. I would panic if they couldn't do more than I already need for taking in.

I hope to have more time to work on writing out the road to the dress, but we'll see. Work will calm down for about two weeks, and then it'll be right back to nuts for a month. I'm also going to a conference in Nashville, TN next month, so I have a ton of stuff to finish and prepare for. I also want to get my Tudor dress done before Faire starts in July (mainly because I have a second dress to do now, too).

I'll see you around! :dance3:

This is a mini update. Work has been insane recently, so I haven't had much free time as I've been devoting the rest of my life to commuting and sleeping. I've also been using all my weekends to try and finish my Tudor costume.

I haven't written much else for the wedding, I'm starting to get more annoyed at waiting, but at least I can now say we're getting married next year. It still seems like an eternity away.

DF's constant denial of my weight complex has finally cracked through my skull (it only took six years). I have decided that I'm going to dump the weight goal. It's hard for me to lose weight because I can't do regular exercise because of medical issues, so I'd have to do 90% of it by eating. I'm sorry, but I love food too much to eat salads and drink water every day (kudos to those who can).

I also came to the realization that if I do lose the 25-30lb I wanted, I wouldn't be able to wear most of my clothes. I loathe clothes shopping and really don't want to have to force myself to do it. I also would lose my proportional figure, which DF always compliments me on. What can I say, the boy loves my curves.

It's also very likely if I lose really any weight at all, I might not be able to alter my dress to fit. It's already a bit big (maybe an inch or two), and they can't hem the skirt because of the beading. I would panic if they couldn't do more than I already need for taking in.

I hope to have more time to work on writing out the road to the dress, but we'll see. Work will calm down for about two weeks, and then it'll be right back to nuts for a month. I'm also going to a conference in Nashville, TN next month, so I have a ton of stuff to finish and prepare for. I also want to get my Tudor dress done before Faire starts in July (mainly because I have a second dress to do now, too).

I'll see you around! :dance3:

I finally just got all caught up now (though I seem to recall bits and pieces; I don't know why I've never commented before when we seem to have a lot in common!)

I'm super limited in what my options for exercising are due to health issues as well, and I refuse to count calories again (too much disordered eating as a teenager), so yeah. I'd rather have a bit of extra weight and continue to love food than go down the miserable path of counting the exact raviolis in a serving size all the time again. My theory is - so long as Doug is happy with my body and has no complaints, then all is well. :cutie:

I'm so excited to see the finished result of your Tudor-style dress! That is one of my favorite time periods ever, and the fact that you're making your own dress is :worship:

Just finished going through your pj and I'm amazed by your organizational skills! I'm a big planner too but I DO plan vacations. They're probably my favorite thing to plan (other than the wedding!). Your first day of marriage plans are amazing! Excited to follow along with your planning :)

I just glanced at my thread because I was looking for a photo, and I thought to myself, 'has it really been three months since I've posted?' Not exactly. It's only been two months, but still . . .

I was going to post about my dress, but work got in the way. Then, life got in the way. Then, work again. Then, I got sick. Then, a business trip.

My excuse now? I don't have any good ones, but I'm getting sick of waiting. I wish I could book now because I want to do this NOW.

It's been a vicious cycle: I get impatient, so I count the days. Too many. So, I go over the budget. Too big. I want to start on my flowers, but everything is at my parent's. I haven't been there since Christmas, so I don't have any of the stuff. Gah!

At least I'll be home for Easter, so maybe I'll pick it up if I have room in my car. I have started on the first of the DIY decorations (actually, I started it before Christmas, I've just been forgetting about it), so I'm going to try and finish it soon.

The good news: I can 'pencil' in 98 days.
The bad news: I really can't do anything for 219 days.

It's just so hard when I'm so far out. I had stuff to report on, but now I'm in an 'in between' stage, and all I have are rambles. :headache:

I just hope what's left of my readership will still be here when I can finally get things done. Maybe this summer?

My mom had been keeping a photo album (yes, with physical pictures) of all the dresses I tried on that I allowed photos of. There had to have been at least twenty, but we've misplaced the album, and with it photos of most of the dresses that didn't make the cut.

I do still have pictures of six of them, but that's all. I have physical photos of three and digital photos of three. I'm going to be helping her search for them this weekend, but it isn't looking good for finding them.

I'll decide this summer if I want to start posting dress search stories without them, but I may hold off on doing those posts until December or January, just to give us time to find the album.

This summer will be DIY time, so at least I will have real posts. ;)

Don't get discouraged... I have been planning my event since aug 2010! Your day will come & it will be AMAZING! :lovestruc

*Warning: this is long, rambling, and kind of sad. Read at your own time and (potentially) emotional risk*

I am facing a couple dilemmas: my dress is too long (not such a dilemma) and when to have our MK shoot (the *big* dilemma).

Let me first say that the dress length dilemma is new, and I'm facing it head on with the salon and the seamstress, so I shouldn't be that hard. But, as far as the MK shoot goes, I have been ignoring it because it makes me want to cry.

We'll start with the dress first:
When I ordered my dress in July, I got the hollow-to-hem measurements done because it's a Casablanca. They measured me in my shoes and out and put a note to aim for the middle. I know notes don't often make it to the company, but my dress came in a bit long. As in 'two inches too long for my shoes.' The girl I had that day said they *can't* hem the dress. Duh, the whole bottom is scalloped lace.

I am short, 5'2, and I can't wear much for a heel because of back and knee problems, so this is kind of a big deal. I ordered the medium crinoline, since that was what I had been trying the sample on with, and when I tried on my dress in December, we knew it wasn't enough. I went back on Saturday to try again, this time with the largest crinoline they sell, and still no dice. I'll be tripping over the hem.

The two girls I had Saturday pulled out a hoop skirt, and it helped, but still wasn't enough. One of them suggested I make an appointment with the seamstress to see what she can do. They're going to have her 'fluff' the netting on the dress and the crinoline as much as possible to see if it helps. I'm a bit skeptical, but I'll try just about anything at this point. They also said she *might* be able to hem the dress from the waist seam. *Might*

I have an appointment June 8, so we'll see what goes.

On to the MK shoot:
I, like many of the ladies and gents here, am being faced with Disney now blocking all of November, December, and very early January from MK shoots. This has been a point of sadness and contention for me since this first came, but I just can't avoid it anymore.

I won't lie, but half the reason I wanted a Disney wedding was so I could have my pictures done in front of the castle. I will *not* give this up. So, I have my choices:
-move the wedding into October or February
-have the shoot done *before* the wedding
-come back later for the shoot
-don't do the shoot

Each of these have their issues, and I'm not really happy with any of them, but I will have to settle for one.

'Move the wedding into October or February': As far as my opinion is concerned, this isn't happening. I've moved the date too many times already. If we went for October, it would have to be at the end, and that runs near Halloween. I have nothing against Halloween, it's my favorite holiday and our dating anniversary, but I just don't want to run into all the hulabaloo that goes with having a Halloween time wedding. February is a bad time at work, not to mention moving the wedding back again, so that's automatically out. Any earlier in the year: hurricane season or high heat. Any later: busy at work, and some of my family couldn't come.

'Have the shoot done *before* the wedding': I don't like this one because it would mean I don't get to have the *moment* when DF sees me for the first time walking down the aisle. This is one of the most magical things in a wedding to me, and as sweet as the first looks are, I just can't do it. It would also mean having to travel down earlier and come home sooner, creating higher flight and hotel costs and placing our wedding at the end of our trip, leaving very little time in Disney as newlyweds. I would also have to book hair and makeup twice.

'Come back later for the shoot': This is the option I like the best, but it does mean having to fly back, stay again, and have hair and makeup done again. I had originally considered going back in January to do this, but my work schedule won't allow it. Plus, that would be three trips in eight months, and I would like that frequency, but it's a lot of money in a short time. I also have to avoid high heat and/or humidity, so that dumps a fair amount of the year. I know I have up to a year after the wedding, so it would work to go in October 2014 to celebrate all our anniversaries.

'Don't do the shoot': Never. Going. To. Happen. I stop anyone before they can even say this. This is the option that makes me the saddest and hurts the most. It makes me tear up just thinking about it. It's been part of the dream of our Disney wedding since I found out you could do it a decade ago.

I don't understand why Disney has to block the whole month of November. They did the holiday just fine for years leaving the first two weeks open. So, unless they decide to change it back and allow shoots the first two weeks, I have a difficult decision to make. To be perfectly honest, this is the only thing about the wedding I'm dreading. Nothing like a cheery thought on an equally cheery day.

I'm sorry. Big hugs here. :hug: I am confident that the dress can be hemmed from the waist. If your seamstress says no, it's time to find a new seamstress. A talented one can do ANYTHING!!! Anything.

I am so sorry about your MK shoot issues. I think all of these blackout dates are ridiculous!! I agree that the third choice is the best, even though it's the most expensive. I do think doing a one year anniversary MK shoot would be absolutely magical though. It would make the most SENSE to do it prior to the wedding, but I was also dead-set that I didn't want my hubs to see me before we were married. I hope you and DF can figure it out. :hug:

I'm sorry about your concerns. As for the blackout dates, yes it sucks, but its a park thing, not a photography thing. I definitely think the third option is the best. I was lucky in that I'm local so I didn't have to pay for travelling again, but I loved that my shoot was later (2 1/2 months after). It gave me something to really look forwad to whenever I got into those post wedding blues (which I still have!) I didn't originally want it to be later, but I signed up for it at a time when the shoot was later in the day and I wanted night pictures so I signed up for when the latest sunrise was (turned out it didn't matter since they moved the time back). But anyways, I didn't want the later date at first, but then I was soooo glad that I had to do that because it gave me something to look forward to!

Sorry to hear the bad news. It is absurd how Disney changes their policies on a whim and I feel so bad for you. I am against "first looks" just like you are and I think the best option is to do it afterwards. I like the anniversary idea the best. It will be a special treat for your anniversary. If something like this happens to me I would do the anniversary idea or maybe come back for Valentines Day.

btw what is the "hulabaloo that goes on with a Halloween time wedding". I stayed off property when I was in Disney for a Halloween time trip so I am not too familiar with what goes on then and I am very curious about you meant with your comment.

I'm sorry to hear about the dress... But the seamstress should be able to hem the dress at the waist. If you talk to her and she can't do it, I'd recommend taking it some where else and get a second opinion... Both of the dresses that I loved, including the one that I picked, could be brought up in the waist to fix the length, cause they had detail at the bottom that would be lost. Good luck sweetie!
Also, I know exactly how you feel about the MK photoshoot... We I guess, will be coming back in February or March to do it after our wedding.... Also because we aren't using Disney photography for the wedding, we have to wait till 45 days out to book it... I'm stressed about that, what if it's all booked?!?!?!? But we only live 2 hours away and will be able to plan pretty quick (we will just need a hotel since we can drive... And I'm going to do my own make up and make my mom lol do my hair for me... She did it for my graduation and it looked great!).

Good luck :)

Thanks for the replies, ladies!

I talked to DF last night, explained the shoot situation, and he agreed on going back for the shoot in October 2014. :goodvibes

It will be nice sine we wanted to celebrate our one-year anniversary at Disney anyway.

I'm glad you figured out an option that will make you happy! Stuff like that can be so disappointing. I am the type to get my heart set on things so I would feel the same as you. Hey, you get to wear your dress again!

This just must be my week for resolutions.

My ring dilemma solved itself in two parts: I asked my jeweler about the ring when I was home last, and she pointed out that my emerald is unusually dark. So, the small stones would be a lighter shade of green and not match. And, the sale ended, so it's back at regular price. :rolleyes:

But, a happier note, my mom just found the dress photo album! I'm going to be scanning pictures out of it when I go home for Mother's Day, so then I can start the dress search saga! :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter