Our Wilderness Lodge Adventure

melomouse

DIS Veteran
Dates - 8/12-8/18
Cast: melomouse(me) 40-something
grandmouse(my mom) from Houston, 70 time at WDW
DS(10)
DD(turning 6 on 8/14)
Flight from LI was a breeze, arrived at MCO 20 minutes prior to Mom's flight from Houston. Found Grandmouse easily, proceeded to Avis and rented car. Upgraded to intermediate to assure fitting asll bags in the car. Poured on the way to WDW, but melomouse did not lose her way til ON Disney property, at which point she drove in & out of AK parking, MK parking and finslly to WL, where the sun was breaking out over WL's majesty and pine forest. Breathtaking! Gave up the car and bags to valet and baggage, got to checkin, while DS and DD ran around excitedly exploring the lobby. Were checked in by the best CM in the World, who assigned us Room 5151 with a view of the lagoon, pool and waterfall.WOW! It was a smoking optional room, since I planned only to smoke on the balcony - tho this is not officially allowed! We purchased 4 - 4 day hoppers, paid room balance and used several types of payment(cash, my CC, and GM's for incidentals). Mo problems! DD's b'day already noted by CRO and my room request and the CM also took DS's name and favorite character so he wouldn't feel left out! Also double-checked on the Fantasmic Dinner Package ressie we had made for Brown Derby on Friday night. Grandmouse was treating me to childcare at Cub's Den and dinner. I have wanted to go to the Brown Derby probably since I was a teenager reading some Hollywood-setting Sidney Sheldon novel!
We went immediately to Whispering Canyon, where we were late for our 7 PM PS's - were told it could take 20 minutes - took 5. Kids busied themselves with the Lincoln Logs at the play table in the waiting area until the beeper went off.
Grandmouse was thrilled with the performance atmosphere, folks dancing around on the stickhorses for birthdays, napkin-waving and shouting. DS ordered chicken wings, but hated the first two, the waitress kindly replaced them with chicken fingers. Grandmouse had grouper and loved it, I had pasta & chicken dish, was okay but had been cooked MUCH earlier!
Grandmouse was still loving all of it! I was so happy. Went to check out our room and found it a little long way from the lobby, but we would soon find the closer exits to Roaring Forks and the pool. Our room was adequate in size, but thank goodness for the balcony which gave the illusion of extra space. Kids wanted to swim, but it was raining pretty hard and steady again, so we walked around the lodge, traced the spring through the lobby, to the waterfall and pool. The lighting is dramatic and authentic. It is more like the Old Faithful Inn in Yellowstone than the original itself! Awesome, intimidating to some degree - majestic keeps coming to mind. Music throughout in the background is themed, comforting,yet intense at times. You get used to it real quick and later we couldn't wait to get back "home" to hear it. Should have grabbed the soundtrack in Merchantile. Next time!
Checked in with my friend by phone - she was staying in DTD and made plans to meet up in Epcot the next day - Tuesday. Rain was predicted.....

Hi! Thanks for the review! We wanted to eat at WCC, but got the feeling from other folks that the food wasn't very good.
You said that smoking on the smoking optional balconies wasn't officially allowed. I asked 999Ghsts specifically about that before on the WL FAQ. She said it was fine. Did the CMs there tell you differently?

dandave -
I'm trying like heck to get back to WL in October, too! Feel like a nut case!
Quite possible I was tired and half-listening when I checked in, but I really think the CM at checkin said "officially" smoking is not allowed on ANY balconies because, in theory, the smoke could drift up or down to floors 4 or 6 - which are NONsmoking - and thus disturb other guests. I took a look at those hugs log beams all over and thought I'd have to smoke 10 cigars at a time for anyone up OR down to even get a whiff!
I guess you can clarify when 999 ghosts get back -
Hope to see you there maybe!!!

Hi melomouse! Thanks for the reply! Dh just mentioned tonight that "it sure would be fun to go to WDW this weekend", since he and the boys are off Monday. It's a 6-7 hour drive from here, so I'm thinking we'll just wait for October. I'm still tired from last weekend! :o

...hey, you two! Why don't you have "WL VET" on your siggies? After all, you now are, "unofficially", veterans AND experts on WL!!!:teeth:

(Wow, going back in October...I'm jealous!!)

You have made me so excited for our trip it is all I can think about!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter