• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Our Very Own California Adventure!! July 30th-August 11th, 2008

I still CANNOT believe your DH was posing for all of those photo pass pics!! You call him Grump, but he's really NOT! My DH would NOT do all of those poses! What a good guy!! Can't wait to hear more!

He really is a pretty good guy, even if he doesn't love Disney like I do, I think I'll keep him! :lovestruc

He's a good sport about the pictures because he knows how much I love them. I just call him the grump because he really he would rather NOT go to Disney than go, and he is typically ready to leave after just a couple of days. He's not grumpy as a general rule - just when I bring up anything Disney related...........

So many updates while I was gone!! Love 'em!! I wanna go back to DL!!

That's what happens when you run away to WDW for a week!!! :thumbsup2

I was going to do an update tonight, but I can't get on my silly photobucket again, I keep getting an error everytime I type in the address. :confused:

You can use points at the Disney hotels right now. But it's just not as good a value as actually staying at a DVC resort.

Yeah, I've looked into that before. For the amount of points it uses, I would rather just pay cash. I think DVC is opening next year out there, so hopefully I won't have to wait too long!

Day 9, continued

Our drive to San Diego was short and painless. :woohoo: DH had driven it before when it took him twice as long as it should have due to traffic, but we were at our hotel by around 1:00, it took us right at an hour and a half. We were staying at the Marriott Hotel & Marina. I had chosen this hotel because I was looking for something with a nice pool that had a bit of a resort feel to it. I wanted these last few days to be more relaxing so that we could wind down a bit. We checked in without any problems and bell services took the kids and I to our room while DH parked the car.

After I got our unpacking done for the next few days and we were all settled, we decided to find someplace to eat a late lunch. From our window we could see a Hard Rock Hotel just a few blocks from us, so we decided to take the kids there to eat. I took a couple of pictures in front of the hotel when we walked out.

100_4936.jpg

100_4937.jpg

And, looking back at the hotel from further down the street

100_4934.jpg

Soon we arrived at the Gaslamp Quarter and the Hard Rock Hotel

100_4935.jpg

We were disappointed though, because we had assumed that the Hard Rock Hotel would have a Hard Rock Cafe inside of it - it didn't! The Hard Rock Cafe was about another 6 blocks away. We were all pretty hungry so we just decided to eat there anyway at a place called Mary Jane's. It was okay, don't think I'd go back, but the meal served it's purpose!

The kids wanted to go swimming (hadn't been once yet this entire vacation!), so we went back to the hotel and got changed for the pool. The boys swam while DH & I sat under palm trees sipping cocktails and reading our books. Ahhhhhh, this is nice!!!

100_4938.jpg

100_4940.jpg

100_4941.jpg

100_4942.jpg

Another picture of the boys from this trip that I just love!

100_4943.jpg

I seriously think that I could have stayed there until they kicked us out, but the boys wouldn't have that. They did give us a couple of hours of down time, before they hit DH up to take them to play basketball. The bell hop had shown us where the basketball court was from our window and they were dying to go shoot some hoops! So, while DH & the boys went to play basketball, I went back up to the room to make some notes in my journal about our time at the DLR. I was so bad about writing things down while we were there - just too busy I guess - so I did the best I could to recall as much as I could, just in case I decided to actually write this report like jaycns had tried to convinced me to do! (Thanks, jay - it's actually really fun reliving the trip!! :cloud9: )

When the boys got back they were all sweaty and nasty from playing ball, so they all showered and we got ready to go to dinner. DH wanted seafood, so we stopped at the concierge desk to ask for recommendations. Both of the places he recommended were in the Gaslamp Quarter, so off we went! We walked by both restaurants and seriously were wondering what in the world the guy was thinking. These were nice, relatively fancy restaurants that did not look kid friendly AT ALL. We were dressed in shorts and had two children with us, you would have thought that he would take that into consideration when making his suggestions. :confused3 We in fact found, that very little of the Gaslamp Quarter was kid friendly. We ended up chosing a mexican restaurant that was okay, not great. The kids were bummed because they love queso, but this restaurant didn't have any, that's unheard of for a mexican restaurant around here! Our waitress even commented that people ask for it all the time, duh! Add it to your menu then! After our late dinner we went back to the hotel and watched a little tv and went to bed. Tomorrow we were heading to the San Diego Zoo!

Great updates! :thumbsup2 Glad you had such a great time at Disney!

I'm really excited to hear more about your time spent in San Diego......DH and I are headed there in April! :goodvibes Your hotel looks like it was really nice!

Great updates. So :sad2: to leave Disneyland, but I am glad you stopped to see Walt's lamp before you left.
San Diego looks great so far......cannot wait to see what else you do there. We are staying at the Hampton Inn downtown (I wanted to stay at the Del Coronado) but the rest of our trip is pretty pricey so this was the compromise. Your hotel looks great.

Your San Diego hotel looks great, I wanted to stay there longer than just a fleeting day visit (just going for the zoo!) but we ran out of time. There's just so much to see in California :goodvibes

I found your TR from jaycn's PTR and I'm just LOVING it! You have me convinced to make a California vacation sometime, of course with a Disneyland stop! :thumbsup2

Looking forward to more!

Great update so far!! I'm glad your hotel stay was relaxing..that's what I love about San Diego..this past summer I went with my fam for a little 2-day vacation..and we only had to travel about an hour..got to love it!! We are truly blessed to live in San Diego!!

Question for you Aunt Meg & this is off topic so sorry.
How long does it take to drive to the Hollywood area from San Diego?

Great update!

Cute picture of the boys in their towels at the pool. I thought just girls had the "over the shoulder" pose but your DS's are very skilled at posing... must be all that photopass practice! ;)

Great updates! :thumbsup2 Glad you had such a great time at Disney!

I'm really excited to hear more about your time spent in San Diego......DH and I are headed there in April! :goodvibes Your hotel looks like it was really nice!

You guys will really enjoy San Diego!

Great updates. So :sad2: to leave Disneyland, but I am glad you stopped to see Walt's lamp before you left.
San Diego looks great so far......cannot wait to see what else you do there. We are staying at the Hampton Inn downtown (I wanted to stay at the Del Coronado) but the rest of our trip is pretty pricey so this was the compromise. Your hotel looks great.

Yeah, I looked at the Hotel del Coronado too, but it was just a bit out of our price range!!

Most Hampton's I've stayed at are really nice, I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice.

Your San Diego hotel looks great, I wanted to stay there longer than just a fleeting day visit (just going for the zoo!) but we ran out of time. There's just so much to see in California :goodvibes

We were there for almost 2 weeks and I feel like we just barely scratched the surface of all there is to see and do in California! I'm looking forward to a return trip!

I found your TR from jaycn's PTR and I'm just LOVING it! You have me convinced to make a California vacation sometime, of course with a Disneyland stop! :thumbsup2

Looking forward to more!

Hi! I'm glad you found me, and that you are enjoying my report! :goodvibes Disneyland was a lot of fun, a must do for any Disney fan! If you go, you'll be amazed by how much more compact it is compared to the MK in WDW. You can get so much more accomplished in a day!

Great update so far!! I'm glad your hotel stay was relaxing..that's what I love about San Diego..this past summer I went with my fam for a little 2-day vacation..and we only had to travel about an hour..got to love it!! We are truly blessed to live in San Diego!!

San Diego was beautiful! You are lucky to live there! :thumbsup2

Great update!

Cute picture of the boys in their towels at the pool. I thought just girls had the "over the shoulder" pose but your DS's are very skilled at posing... must be all that photopass practice! ;)

:laughing: Maybe it's because I've had a camera stuck in their faces since birth - seriously, I'm surprised they still put up with it!

Day 10, Friday August 8th

Today we were going to the San Diego Zoo. Again, we were tired in the morning but we now had a different noise keeping us awake. :sad2: We had escaped the dining room noise from Anaheim, now we were at a hotel right next to some railroad tracks and all night long we heard the train whistles! :headache: Uggggg!!

I took this picture of the hotel pool as we were walking to our car. It was so pretty and I wanted to get a photo without all the people everywhere!

100_4944.jpg

We made it to the zoo shortly after opening.

100_4945.jpg

I had prepurchased our tickets online, so we were able to avoid the long lines of people buying tickets! :thumbsup2 We stopped to have some cinnamon rolls for breakfast, and then we were off to explore the zoo. This zoo is absolutely beautiful! We wanted to go to the Panda exhibit first before it got too busy, but we kept stopping along the way!

This orangutan looked a little sad to me

100_4951.jpg

We finally made it back to the pandas, it wasn't too terribly crowded, and all of the pandas were doing this

100_4955.jpg

After the pandas we stopped to watch these otters play, they were so cute and so much fun to watch. There were some monkey's in the enclosure that were a lot of fun to watch as well.

100_4959.jpg

We then went to see the Polar Bears, I've never seen one in person before, so this was a treat for me!

100_4964.jpg

100_4968.jpg

100_4969.jpg

As we walked away from the polar bears I saw this tree with some really pretty blooms on it. I'm not sure what kind of tree this is, but I like it!

100_4970.jpg

I then wanted to take a picture of DS, he put his arm down on the rail and it was really hot. So, here he is, holding his arm because he burnt it a little and grimacing and trying to smile at the same time :rotfl:

100_4971.jpg

We made our way around to the other side of the park and stopped for lunch at Sydney's Grill. They had good sandwiches and salads. Then we went to see the Koalas. I was surprised by how many of them they had, and they were soooooo cute!

100_4979.jpg

100_4980.jpg

100_4981.jpg

Then came the bears and the cats

100_4986.jpg

100_4989.jpg

We saw a beautiful jaguar that was up pacing back and forth right in front of the fence, but I didn't take a picture because the fence was in the way (I guess that's a good thing though isn't it!)

Then it was elephants and giraffes

100_4999.jpg

Then we went over to the reptile house, they have a really nice reptile area. I think snakes are facinating, but they sure give me the creeps - even behind glass! After we finished looking at the reptiles and turtles, we stopped to refill our cup (drinks are refillable for a small fee all day). The lady was really nice and filled our drink and then told us not to worry about it and didn't charge us. She then said that she had some churros that she was about to throw out (she was closing her stand) and asked the boys if they wanted them. So, we got free drinks and churros! :woohoo:

Our last stop was the Children's Zoo, we were trying to find the nursery but never did :confused3 I did see this very pretty bird though!

100_5003.jpg

We thoughly enjoyed our day at the zoo, but we had tired feet and were ready to call it a day, plus it was dinner time and we were all hungry and DH & I didn't want to eat in the zoo again. The boys were begging us to go eat at Red Lobster (ummmm, we have those at home, how about something different - nope, they wanted Red Lobster) so we put "Red Lobster" into our trusty Garmin and found one not too far from us. Dinner was fine, DS7 wanted crab legs, so I spent most of my time cracking crab for him - I'll be so glad when he can do that for himself!

After dinner we went back to the hotel and went down to the pool until bedtime. The boys swam while DH & I just had a couple of drinks and enjoyed each others company, it was a great way to end a really nice day!

I would love to make it to the zoo out there one day! And these birds (hyacinth macaws) are my favorite parrots! Aren't they beautiful? Sounds like a lovely day! Hope DS's arm wasn't hurt too bad!

It would have been great to have you along with us! We would have had our own personal information book! :goodvibes

Great update! I adore those koala pictures! Your poor ds and his arm. I see that you have trained him well though. He kept posing and smiling! ;)

UGH, from hotel kitchen to trains...I guess sleep did NOT come easy.

I am really enjoying this trip report!!:thumbsup2

I LOVE that zoo but it sure kicked my butt..... too many hills. :rolleyes:

I am sooooo excited to sit out by the pool reading my book under a palm tree, sipping cocktails. I've been putting off reading the last book in my favorite series just so I can do so. It's going to be wonderful. :cloud9:

I'm still enjoying your TR, I love looking at all your wonderful pictures!:thumbsup2

Love the latest update.:thumbsup2 That zoo looks amazing. I'll definately have to plan a visit there if we ever get to Disneyland.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter