Our vacation was a disaster, and Disney didn't live up to expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's really strange. Maybe he was trying to help you not have to pay out of pocket at all. Could you just have used your child's credit for your soft drink and your credit for the strawberry milk? I've not used the dining plan so I don't know how it works, but it sounds like that might be what he was trying to tell you. Still, once you made it clear you weren't receptive to his help I'm surprised he kept trying.
Count me as one who wants locks on the bathroom doors, and I actually locked myself in a hotel bathroom when I was little. It was a frightening experience for my parents, but they learned to take precautions to prevent that in the future. As another poster mentioned, they sell things you can put on the door to prevent this kind of situation. I've stayed at CBR fairly often and I don't remember the doors being unusually heavy, but maybe they've changed since I was there last.

I'm sorry you have a bad trip. It sounds like everything could have happened anywhere, except for the CM who tried to help you with the dining plan. Still, since you don't intend to go back to Disney World I hope you are able to find another vacation destination you like better in the future. Good luck, and I hope your son is feeling better.

OP I to am sorry that happened to your son. I am sure I would have ben panicked as well and not thinking clearly so truly understandable how you could leave the room with out any of your documents. I also would have been upset about having to wait a couple of hours to get a problem door sorted out.

The one thing that was getting me was the milk incident. I think Scurvy hit it on the head. I think the CM was trying to show you how to NOT have to pay oop or use a snack credit for the milk. He was trying to show you how to work the DDP system. I am assuming that an adult can get the milk with their credit and the child could have got the soft drink, then they could have switched. You may have been to distracted or frustrated at the world to see this guy was trying to help you and your family. I was not there but just saying how it looks after you further described the incident.

Hope your son is doing better. And keep in mind that although most of the people on this board my self included feel that Disney is the best place in the world. It is not for everbody and I hope you can find a place for you and your kids that you love as much as we love Disney.

Good luck to you all.

I strongly disagree. If a poster cannot post their experience without using a slur, then I have no use for them or their opinions. That word is tremendously hurtful and loaded, and using it implies either insensitivity or ignorance on the part of the poster. Just because it's in a person's vernacular does not make it acceptable. If the poster used a different slur, implying racial, ethnic, socioeconomic or religious overtones, they would be smacked and the post would be deleted ASAP.

Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox, but that is a mean word and I don't think it should be used like the poster used it.

Totally agree. But since this poster isn't going to disney anymore and this is a disney board its doubtful we will have to deal with her saying it again.

Have a nice life op don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I can't comment on this woman's trip because I wasn't there. But after reading a couple of her former posts I could see how excited she was. As a single mom myself I would have been so proud of myself to have saved up enough money to take my kids to WDW and I would have felt brave. Then to have everything go to hell in a handbasket would have been a crushing blow to me. I feel bad for her. She vented and some of you jumped on her like a pack of wolves. It takes a lot of work and preparation to plan out a Disney trip and it took us a couple of trips before we could call it a success. OP, wait a few years and try it again and take a friend to balance kid time and adult time.

How did you make it thru your home airport? My answer to your question directly would have been make more then one trip.

edit: Also 2 backpacks??? How did they get there in the first place? If one of the kids could wear a backpack, they could carry it.

I had my mother and stepfather to help us at the airport. I took my kids to Disneyworld alone because my oldest son has been asking to go on vacation for three years. I'm a single parent. I did the best that I could, and since I'd never been to Disney, I didn't know what to expect. I've been reading for months, trying to plan and prepare for this trip. I did the best that I could. I saved for so long for this vacation. I splurged like I never have before in my life. Some people can afford $5k for a vacation every year or so. I can't.

Yes, my expectations were high, but I also knew that it wouldn't be perfect or a fairy tale. I knew that it would be stressful and a lot of work. I don't have any complaints about maneuvering the parks or not being able to see every attraction that we would have liked to have seen. That's not a big deal. Most of the cast members we encountered were great - the one that stands out in my mind is the one who upset my child by taking away his strawberry milk.

My son was injured, and it was the single most frightening moment of my life. I thought he had lost the tips of two of his fingers. They looked like they were hanging off, and there was blood spraying all over the room. I'm sorry if I lost my composure and didn't remember what to do. I've never had to deal with a broken bone or a bad cut before. I think that Disney could have had a business card with cab numbers or someone mentioning transportation back to the hotel - something to at least remind people of the practicalities. If that's my fault for being scared and worried about my kid, then my bad. But I still think that Disney could have been a bit more useful, instead of pestering me with their repetitive questions while the paramedic was trying to help my son.

I'm so sorry that your vacation was a hot mess, and I hope your son is feeling better. :)

now putting on the flame retardent suit here...

but wouldn't his fingers have gotten cut whether there was a lock on the door or not? It seems like it was the action of the door shutting on them that would cause the injury...:confused3

I read into the story that the door being locked hindered her from freeing her sons fingers more quickly. Not that it taking longer to free his fingers caused more damage but can you imagine having you child screaming and crying possibly pulling at his arm while you tried to get the other child in the bathroom to unlock the door?

Again as many has said not Disney's fault but certainly disturbing and can put a bad light on the whole trip.

Ummm... My child's fingertips were hanging (literally) off the ends of his fingers. Would you have NOT called 911??? He was spraying blood everywhere, and it looked to me like his fingers had been severed. Are you seriously implying that I shouldn't have called for an ambulance to get my son medical attention? Even if I did have a rental car, where is the hospital? How am I supposed to apply pressure to the open wounds to stop the bleeding? Think about it.

No, I didn't bring our medical cards or credit cards or anything to the hospital, because I was panicked because I thought my son's fingers had been severed. I was too busy trying to comfort my child to think of things like that.

I don't expect anything from Disney monetary-wise or a gift to my child or anything like that (as another poster suggested). I didn't and don't expect them to pay for any type of medical bill or expense. I do think that an appropriate protocol should be put in place to give guests information on what to do in case of an emergency transport to a hospital. I was in a place I'd never been before, neither of my child has ever had a medical emergency/broken bone/severe cut or wound. The whole situation was completely foreign to me, and it was frightening. No, I wasn't thinking clearly. I was only thinking about my son.
-
I'm not blaming Disney for everything that happened - our vacation basically sucked for many stupid reasons, partly my kids, partly weather, partly Disney. I'm just saying that Disney didn't quite live up to my expectations, particularly the cast members.

I'm sorry, but as a single parent travelling alone with 2 children, you don't have the luxury of panicking & falling apart during a crisis. You are the one responsible for the well being of the children. You need to keep a calm attitude & deal with all situations. Did you not garb your purse? Your room key? How did you think you would get back in your room? How could you not take your health insurance info to an emergency room?

QUOTE=jmillanon;38024366]I was supposed to haul two children, two suitcases, two backpacks, and a rented double stroller over to bell services by myself? Huh. Where can I sign up for the eight arms you must have? lol[/QUOTE]

A seven year old could pull a suitcase. Back packs on you & the 7 y.o. 4 y.o. could help push the empty stroller while you get 2nd suitcase. Or 7 yo pushes stroller with the 4 yo & backpacks in it while you take both suitcases.

Again, I'm sorry the child was hurt. But I still think you were not well prepared to travel alone with your children. Not Disney's fault you can't deal with a crisis or adapt to problems that arise.

That was an absolute terrible trip....and some of it has to do with disney...some of it doesn't.

But (being a former member of the staff at caribbean) here's what i can tell you from my opinion:

You deserve to be angry...because Disney promises you everything - both with their pricing and their incessant adverstising...but they can't deliver like they used to in the past.

Having a horrible accident to a child in years past would have brought managers and guest relations personnel running to attempt and salvage your trip. But they've gutted the quality of the staff steadily for 20 years and it shows when something bad happens. That same lack of employee standards would also account for someone being confrontational in the Contemporary. that would never have been tolerated years ago...that person would have been yanked, apologies issued (no matter who was at fault) and they would have been officially reprimanded or dismissed (likely) within minutes.

The doors...however...is another issue. I personally don't have an issue with locking doors on bathrooms...but i understand how horrible this seems for you right now. As far as their heavy duty construction...that unfortunately is appropriate. As we speak, Hurricane Earl is steaming through the Caribbean at a Category 3...disney has had alot of brushes with storms in the past 40 years....but they've never had a real b!tch of a storm - like Andrew or Rita (Rita was - as most don't remember - the nasty little storm right after Katrina) hit on a path to orlando. If they do....some say it's inevitable...heavy construction will protect the lives of many and spare injuries. So it's kinda a necessary "evil" in this case.

Celebration seemed to do ok....that is not always the case.

As far as the "want, want, want"...well...that kinda is what they want. They bombard with giftshops because that is where they make their profit, and they don't really make bones about it. So it really falls to the parents to mitigate how that affects their trips...right or wrong.

To be honest, right guest relations and tell them what happened. Be honest and not disrespectful...and they will make amends in some way or another.
They still will do that. It won't make up for the disappointment or the pain (literally)...but it may ease some of the hardship a little.

And i do hope you try again in the future...not because disney deserves your money (far from it)...but because you deserve to see what they can offer that is positive (and there still is much...even if not what it once was)

Ummm... My child's fingertips were hanging (literally) off the ends of his fingers. Would you have NOT called 911??? He was spraying blood everywhere, and it looked to me like his fingers had been severed. Are you seriously implying that I shouldn't have called for an ambulance to get my son medical attention? Even if I did have a rental car, where is the hospital? How am I supposed to apply pressure to the open wounds to stop the bleeding? Think about it.

No, I didn't bring our medical cards or credit cards or anything to the hospital, because I was panicked because I thought my son's fingers had been severed. I was too busy trying to comfort my child to think of things like that.

I don't expect anything from Disney monetary-wise or a gift to my child or anything like that (as another poster suggested). I didn't and don't expect them to pay for any type of medical bill or expense. I do think that an appropriate protocol should be put in place to give guests information on what to do in case of an emergency transport to a hospital. I was in a place I'd never been before, neither of my child has ever had a medical emergency/broken bone/severe cut or wound. The whole situation was completely foreign to me, and it was frightening. No, I wasn't thinking clearly. I was only thinking about my son.

As for housekeeping - there was still blood in and on the door. That wasn't simply an oversight. Someone dropped the ball by not communicating what happened and/or housekeeping didn't realize that the object that causes an injury likely has blood on it.

My children weren't arguing when the door was closed. I was right there, scrubbing a stained tee shirt in the sink, less than six feet away. I don't know if you've ever been in a CBR room before, but the toilet and shower are in one room, and the sinks are right outside the stupid door. My sons were just chatting, and one closed the door and locked it, oblivious to the fact that the other kid's fingers were there. If that would have happened at home, yes, my younger son's fingers would have pinched, but that door isn't so heavy that it's going to close and the tumbler isn't going to fall into place.

For those who are pro-bathroom-door-lock - I really hope your child or loved one never gets hurt in a bathroom and you're unable to help them because you can't get to them. My grandmother suffered a concussion once when she slipped in a bathroom (at home), and no one could get to her for several minutes. That's long enough for a child to drown in a bathtub.

And, no, I didn't lock myself out of my room. I do know how to use a hotel key. Something was mechanically wrong with it, as the concierge guy couldn't get in with his electronic key, either. He had to use the manual metal key, and he said that was very unusual and that maintenance would have to come look at it. Disney told me I had to switch rooms. The irritating part was wasting my morning repacking and waiting for bell services. I understand that stuff happens, things break, etc... But spending two hours waiting for bell services just plain sucked.

I'm not blaming Disney for everything that happened - our vacation basically sucked for many stupid reasons, partly my kids, partly weather, partly Disney. I'm just saying that Disney didn't quite live up to my expectations, particularly the cast members.

The cast member at the contemporary resort was extremely out of line; maybe he thought he needed to act like a parent to my child because it was just me and my kids, but we were doing fine until he came along. He tried explaining something about me using my drink credit to pay for my son's strawberry milk. I told him that we'd be fine, thank you, I'll take care of it. He was going on and on about me using my drink credit for my kid's milk. I told him that I was thirsty, and I'd like a Diet Coke with my meal, but thanks for trying to help, but I'd use a snack credit for the strawberry milk. So he's still rambling on and on and I said, "Sir, I've got this. Give my son back his drink, and let's be done with this." He's still trying to explain, "I'm trying to help you, blah blah blah." That's when I told him to get out of my face. He wouldn't give my kid's drink back, and I'd tried to ask him to leave twice before I said to get out of my face. The very FIRST time I told him that we were fine, he should have left us alone. It NEVER should have gotten to the point that I told him to get out of my face.

I apologize then. If your child's fingertips were truly hanging off then, of course, you should have called 911. From the tone of your message, I thought it was an exaggeration. Believe me, I have had emergencies with my children. I am an overpreparer and always have my credit card and insurance card with me. My son has asthma so I am very familiar with trips to the ER. As far as the bathroom lock...I NEVER leave my son in the bath alone, not to answer the phone, the door, anything. I have the child lock knob on the outside so my son cannot even get in on his own. I also have the type of lock that has a pin hole that we can stick the "pointy thing" (for lack of a better word) in it to unlock.

Each child is different but I learned on many trips with my children that early morning breakfasts just don't suit us. Especially after being in the parks until 10pm the previous night - 7 am ADR's are just not good for us. Even with all my planning and familiarity with Disney things can, and do, go wrong. I still love it, as do my children. Maybe wait a little while longer until your children are older, or you can bring a second adult to go. Read some of the tips people offer and I really think you can redeem this trip.

I hope your son has recovered.

You're a parent and things happen to your kids. I have
taken the occasional trip to the emergency room in strange cities. So what... I didn't blame the resort. When I was a kid, I came down with the measles while vacationing with my parents in Aruba. Loads of fun for my mom, let me tell you.

Just cause you're on vacation doesn't mean you can let your guard down about keeping yourself or your kids safe. You do have my sympathy, as an injured child is always a nightmare, no matter where you are.

And yes, rain on your vacation sucks royally but that's what they have ponchos for. Regarding the whole milk story, that all rings fake to me.

I was supposed to haul two children, two suitcases, two backpacks, and a rented double stroller over to bell services by myself? Huh. Where can I sign up for the eight arms you must have? lol
Honestly, no. Whenever I've changed rooms at a WDW resort, I've been told to pack up and leave everything inside the door of my room, and Bell Services would move it. Yes, I understand that would have been harder in this case since they'd need the actual key vs. the electronic card - but it's available.

I strongly encourage you to give yourself some time to decompress from your trip and gain some perspective.

And then sit down and write the letter to Disney and explain where their customer service and general procedures weren't up to the task of creating a magical vacation for you.

Unfortunately.. this type of thread generates a lot of debate and arguments here on the message boards but ... nobody here can do a darned thing about your complaints or the customer service you experienced.

Only Disney can.

Thanks,

Knox

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter