Our un-magical Day

Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner ... but I don't 'get' ranch dressing at all! Think it's horrible!!! Don't like buttermilk or mustard. I declined several dressings which came with ranch dressing this year. I'd rather go au naturele and add a bit of BBQ or even ketchup!

What goes REALLY well with chips is salad cream - something else you can't buy in the US anymore (unless you want to pay $6 for a tiny imported bottle of Heinz, of course).

what is salad cream?

im not being smart, in England they call fries chips, what do they call, what we call potato chips?

Crisps. If it's thinly sliced potatoes and fried, then they're crisps. If they're reformed shapes (eg Cheetos (which, incidentally are what we used to call 'Nik Naks')) then we call them snacks.

what is salad cream?

It's a salad dressing, but made with water, oil, vinegar (sugar) and egg yolk. The vinegar gives it a nice tang.

Up until a few years ago I could buy the low fat equivalent at Walmart, but they stopped doing it about 4 years ago, sadly. So, if we're staying off site I bring a small bottle with me.

It's a salad dressing, but made with water, oil, vinegar (sugar) and egg yolk. The vinegar gives it a nice tang.

Up until a few years ago I could buy the low fat equivalent at Walmart, but they stopped doing it about 4 years ago, sadly. So, if we're staying off site I bring a small bottle with me.

Of course! Ridiculously over-priced, of course (just like yours)!

Incidentally, the same company 'Lays' is 'Walkers' over here (identical logo just the name is different).

interesting. thank you. :thumbsup2

Isn't that mayonnaise?

Or perhaps Miracle whip which is sweeter and is a salad dressing.....

Mayo and ketchup are good together on fries/chips :)

Ranch is super on pepperoni pizza :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Isn't that mayonnaise?

No, that's a popular misconception. Mayo is just oil and water (plus some flavourings) and it's a light, whipped texture. Salad cream is more of a thick sauce, like BBQ.

Miracle whip is probably not to UK tastes at all. We don't tend to go for sweet sauces/dressings unless it's on a dessert!

On the British foods, I love, love, love chocolate coated digestives. My DH's all time favorite candy bar is Flake.

I wouldn't recommend walking through the castle at the best of times. We made the mistake of going through there after the Main Street Electrical Parade on our second evening visit last month. The whole of the right side was a stroller park with people fishing around in the strollers blocking the way even more, and it was a nightmare. It didn't help that I was in a scooter, of course. But, the point is, there really is nothing left to see now. And it's not well lit, so it was really gloomy in there.

When we went on our first trip in January 1974 (when I was 12, coming up 13) it was just a huge archway with mosaic murals down each side of the walk-through. We were disappointed even back then - we'd thought there was more to see!

Isn't that mayonnaise?

No, that's a popular misconception. Mayo is just oil and water (plus some flavourings) and it's a light, whipped texture. Salad cream is more of a thick sauce, like BBQ.

Miracle whip is probably not to UK tastes at all. We don't tend to go for sweet sauces/dressings unless it's on a dessert!

Just finished this thread (too funny). I am not even going to comment on that because all that needs to be said has. I am just curious about the salad cream and mayo conversation. I just checked my Hellmann's bottle because I thought it had vinegar and it does. It has eggs, oil, sugar, vinegar, lemon, starch, and preservatives. Isn't that the same as the salad cream? I am not being snarky I am genuinely asking.:)

Just finished this thread (too funny). I am not even going to comment on that because all that needs to be said has. I am just curious about the salad cream and mayo conversation. I just checked my Hellmann's bottle because I thought it had vinegar and it does. It has eggs, oil, sugar, vinegar, lemon, starch, and preservatives. Isn't that the same as the salad cream? I am not being snarky I am genuinely asking.:)

Thanks! I am not feeling well enough to go downstairs but we use Hellmans as well and I would have sworn there were eggs and since I cook I remember some uproar about homemade mayo and it having eggs and to be super careful with them.

Another question! How does vinegar fit in? Everywhere I have been in the US that stylizes themselves as being "British" gives you vinegar packets with your fries. Yay or Nay on the
Vinegar?

Another question! How does vinegar fit in? Everywhere I have been in the US that stylizes themselves as being "British" gives you vinegar packets with your fries. Yay or Nay on the
Vinegar?

For me, vinegar is almost a must on thicker cut fries. I don't eat it with thin fries. The only thing I'll eat on McDonald's fries is ketchup. But on thicker fries like what Five Guys serves, vinegar is a requirement.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter