• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Our trip to Mexico on the Disney Wonder (a Mini-TR)

Any chance you can provide slightly more detailed directions of how to get to Starbucks from the port? My friend and I both collect the "city mugs" from Starbucks, and would love to pick up one from Cabo. Did you happen to notice if they sold the ceramic mugs there?

Thanks!

~Sarah~

Hi Sarah, i went and looked at Bing maps, and i think i found where the starbucks is, use this link to visit the map, the pushpin is where i believe starbucks is. http://binged.it/ypvvAF Starbucks is at the other end of the same building as burger king, and hard rock is in the next building over. So if you reference my photo, starbucks is right in the middle (and hidden! :))

IMG_4481.JPG

I don't remember seeing mugs, as the starbucks is 2 floors, and we made ourselves at home on the top floor (more seating), and i was pretty fixated on the menu, as it looked strangely familiar yet different (prince in peso, some names different etc... but all in starbucks global deco...)

Edit: My wife told me that she remembers seeing mugs at the Starbucks, they had "Los Cabos" on them.

Thank you! :worship: Thank you for extending your trip report. Oh my gosh, your pictures! I don't get one picture to turn out that clear. I want to see more of your gorgeous pictures onboard!

thanks for the compliment! i has been fun sharing. It's been a busy transition to reality, i'll try to upload more photos in the next few days to share. Stay tuned!

Hi Sarah, i went and looked at Bing maps, and i think i found where the starbucks is, use this link to visit the map, the pushpin is where i believe starbucks is. http://binged.it/xCaaq3 Starbucks is at the other end of the same building as burger king, and hard rock is in the next building over.

Thanks so much! That's very helpful.

jkkw, I have to say your pictures are just amazing--we took the same cruise and I don't even recognize some areas of the ship and ports because your pics look SO much better than ours. You may have posted this somewhere but what camera/cameras do you use? I know that most of it is that you are a good photographer, but I'm curious as to what awesome equipment you use. :)

here are some more photos from around the ship, as well as the incredible sunsets we saw from our cabin... i miss this vacation...

What greets you as you exit the port terminal building to the ship
IMG_0578.JPG

IMG_3204.JPG

the "art deco" style is everywhere, including the rest room signs :)
IMG_3206.JPG

IMG_3236.JPG

i really wanted to take one of these pieces home - but sadly some of them cost as much as a ticket on the ship :P
IMG_3264.JPG

IMG_3269.JPG

IMG_3276.JPG

IMG_3285.JPG

while industrial, sailing out of LA was nice!
IMG_3318.JPG

one of many sunset photos...
IMG_3356.JPG

IMG_3364.JPG

OK, so no one told me i couldn't take photos on the first night :) before you flame me, this was 1 of 2, and i didn't use the flash
IMG_3373.JPG

amazing art pieces all over the ship
IMG_3531.JPG

The lobster and the birthday cake (for our twin girls)
IMG_3829.JPG

another sunset... sunsets are the best... sunrise not so much ;)
IMG_1718.JPG

in the wake of the pirate ship in cabo!
IMG_1063.JPG

more art
IMG_4684.JPG

hope you have enjoyed our photos as much as we have posting them! If you have any questions about the MR cruise, feel free to ask, i'll help as much as i can!

Wow - this is a stunning photo :worship:

Thank you Linda67, the seagulls were very very close to us on the veranda, our kids had soooo much fun with them, it was quite an experience. If you stay in a veranda room, make sure you keep some bread (from the Beach Blanket) within easy reach at the ports!

jkkw, I have to say your pictures are just amazing--we took the same cruise and I don't even recognize some areas of the ship and ports because your pics look SO much better than ours. You may have posted this somewhere but what camera/cameras do you use? I know that most of it is that you are a good photographer, but I'm curious as to what awesome equipment you use. :)

Hi Merryweather11, thanks for the compliments. We brought 3 cameras aboard between my wife and I, and we also had 2 lenses.. What we brought on were
  1. Canon Elph 300HS - my wife's trusty "bring everywhere" camera
  2. Canon SX230HS compact travel zoom - my go-to travel compact, i LOVE the super zoom lens (14x!!)
  3. Canon T2i Digital SLR Our trusty SLR that we had stopped bringing on vacations, as it was too heavy to lug around WDW :) we decided that being on a ship meant we could drop it off at our cabin if we got tired, and it worked out great - used it for all the food shots!

For the SLR, we had
  • Canon EF 28-70mm f/2.8L USM - primarily for indoor lower light shots (still very challenging with f/2.8 though, you really need f2 and below indoors
  • Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM - all those incredible outdoor wide angle shots were achieved with this lens, it worked out really well in cabo!

We snapped almost 2500 photos on the cruise, it was awesome, the SX230 also took great videos, so we had a ton of videos as well. With our kids growing up fast, we've learnt to just capture as many moments as we can - ultimately, it would be for our own memories as these cute kids grow up. This is the first time we've shared our photos so widely, glad folks enjoy them! thanks again for the compliments!

ps. 14x superzoom on the SX230 is incredible... here is one example in cabo..

1x zoom
IMG_1856.JPG

14x zoom
IMG_1857.JPG

also, the SX230 took all the tilt-shift photos.. it has a special mode that makes it easy to do so!

ok, ok, i know you are bored..

1x zoom
IMG_1730.JPG

14x zoom
IMG_1731.JPG

don't you think the Carnival Spirit looks old and dated?
IMG_1732.JPG

IMG_1733.JPG

Thank you! Your pictures are great! I showed my husband your pictures and said we really need to read our camera manual. We always just set it up on auto. Thank you for taking your time to post!

And, yes, that Carnival ship looks like an 80's flashback!

Jenni

Thank you! Your pictures are great! I showed my husband your pictures and said we really need to read our camera manual. We always just set it up on auto. Thank you for taking your time to post!

And, yes, that Carnival ship looks like an 80's flashback!

Jenni

thank you Jenni!
btw, manuals don't work, i pretty much use "P" or full auto as well. The thing that helps is to take a ton of photos, they are digital, so it's free to practice! Some cameras also make it easier, the SX230 and the 300HS compacts we have really produce great photos!

Did you see an whales? We are leaving on Sunday and wondering if we should still do the Whale Watching excursion?

Thanks

Did you see an whales? We are leaving on Sunday and wondering if we should still do the Whale Watching excursion?

Thanks

We did see whales and dolphins, though we didn't do an excursion, and it wasn't up close.

On one of the mornings, i woke up especially early, and went outside on the veranda. There was a ton of sea foam on the water, so i was just admiring how they formed at the end of each wave (and also wondering how they form). In the distance, close to the horizon, i saw an especially large sea foam (or so i thought), then a fin! I yelled to my wife (and woke the kids up), and reached for my camera, she saw another view of the fin (it was quite far away), and then it was gone before i could get the camera ready :( it was quite an amazing sight - tiny and far off, but an amazing encounter none-the-less. So there are definitely whales out there to be seen.

As for dolphins, this was pretty amazing as well. We were on deck 3, walking from Tritons to Parrot Cay, i think we were going to lunch or something. The crew members were all looking out the port holes, one of them stopped my kids and asked them to look out, there were a few pods (i think they are called pods) of dolphins swimming alongside the ship, i counted at least 3 groups of them, it was so cool! again, the camera couldn't catch it, they were just way too fast - i did get a glancing video shot though :)

Both encounters made us want to go whale watching + do the dolphin encounter next time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter