Our thread for the Minnie!

I am seriously considering the Minnie 15k. I have never run before and it's been years since I did any sort of walking or exercise. We just got a treadmill and I think I need something like a race to motivate me to use it (an extra trip to WDW sure helps too!)

I haven't been able to find out if there is a time limit for these races. I know 15-16 min./mile is standard for the other races. Just curious...

TIA!
Kristi

Kristi1357 said:
I am seriously considering the Minnie 15k. I have never run before and it's been years since I did any sort of walking or exercise. We just got a treadmill and I think I need something like a race to motivate me to use it (an extra trip to WDW sure helps too!)

I haven't been able to find out if there is a time limit for these races. I know 15-16 min./mile is standard for the other races. Just curious...

TIA!
Kristi

Entering the 2006 Half is what got me on my dusty treadmill. And i did finish. I'll be doing the 15k also and a little worried about the pacing also. Remember, ever potty stop has to be made up for by jogging faster!

Welcome, Kristy! :wave2:

I agree with you and Felicia...I needed a goal to keep me interested in the treadmill and the '06 half was it. Now I'm hooked!

Pace for the Minnie is a 15 min mile

Our first trip to WDW was in Apr-May 2004 for DD'2 graduation trip. We stayed ASM and it was during the Grad Nights. There were quite a few grads from out of state staying there also. We had no trouble with any of them. They mostly seemed polite, courteous, and non-rambunkish (??). The only thing we noticed was the addition people waiting for the buses. Also on the Fri night Pleasure Island was closed from 6 - 9 for grad night activities.

We didn't spend much time DD that night as the sky opened up and we got soaked.

Thanks for the info about the 15 min/mile pace!

My Mom did her first 1/2 in Disney this year - no excuse why I can't do one when I am 20 years younger, right? ;) I do have bad knees and may have a slower training pace though.

I watch DH run Disney every year (5 years in a row now) and seeing everyone of all shapes and sizes running is truly inspirational. I think I finally may be mentally ready to attempt a race myself.

I have also been fighting to lose this last stubborn 10 lbs. on Weight Watchers also - this would definately help with that too.

We are trying to be better about not spending money this year. Maybe I can eBay my way to the Minnie Weekend! :teeth:

Tiffany just freaked me out on another thread when she said Minnie's only 15 weeks away :scared1:

I would like to suggest a meet on Sat (is that May 6th?), either lunch or early dinner. Also thought of maybe something just kinda casual like ice cream at Ghirardelli's or Beaches N Cream. If we want to do sit-down, we'll be able to make ADR's soon, so we probably need to decide by the first week of Feb. Our TE experienced kinda soured me...I was also thinking about meeting at a food court like POR or POFQ.

What do y'all think? How many would be interested and what would you like to do? I would be a party of either 4 or 6.

I would love to do a Minnie meet! :thumbsup2 I like the casual idea, too. It was kind of hard to get around and meet people at TE. The expo is open Sat. from 10 - 5. For those of us coming in that day, we just need to be able to pick up packets before they close. We will be a party of 3. Thanks for suggesting this!!! :teeth:

I would love to meet with everyone on Saturday for a casual get together, there would be 4 of us.

Just a suggestion--maybe the AllStar Cafe would be a good place to meet since we will all be there anyways.

Christy

I would love to meet for an early dinner. Somewhere at DTD might be a good idea because everyone can take the bus there. I know Rhonda (akasleepingbeauty) and I won't have a rental car (as far as I know).

BTW, we are both doing the 15K

Kristi1357 said:

TIA!
Kristi

It is definitely a 15 minute per mile pace requirement for this event.

keenercam said:
I would love to meet for an early dinner. Somewhere at DTD might be a good idea because everyone can take the bus there. I know Rhonda (akasleepingbeauty) and I won't have a rental car (as far as I know).

BTW, we are both doing the 15K

Excellent idea---here's the options...my vote is for Wolfgang pucks' express--a personal favorite...but open up to any option. I got this from allears so you can go and check them out for specific menus.

Marketplace

Cap'n Jack's Restaurant - Lunch (12/05)
Cap'n Jack's Restaurant - Dinner (12/05)
Cap'n Jack's Restaurant - Child's Menu (12/05)
Earl of Sandwich (12/05)
Forty-Thirst Street (5/05)
Fulton's Crab House - Lunch (5/05)
Fulton's Crab House - Dinner (5/05)
Fulton's Crab House- Kid's Menu (5/05)
Ghirardelli Soda Fountain & Chocolate Shop (5/05)
Marketplace Snacks (12/05)
McDonald's - Ronald's Fun House (5/05)
Rainforest Cafe Lunch/Dinner (2/05)
Rainforest Cafe - Kid's Menu - (10/05)
Wolfgang Puck Express (10/05)
Pleasure Island
Cooke's of Dublin (10/05)
Missing Link Sausage Company (5/05)
Planet Hollywood - Dinner (10/04)
Planet Hollywood - Child's Menu (6/04)
Portobello Yacht Club Lunch (1/06)
Portobello Yacht Club Dinner (10/05)
Portobello Yacht Club Children's Menu (5/05)
Raglan Road - Dinner (10/05)
Ragland Road Children's Menu (10/05)
West Side

Bongos Cuban Cafe - Lunch (2/05)
Bongos Cuban Cafe - Dinner (2/05)
Bongos Cuban Cafe Child's Menu (2/05)
Bongos Cuban Cafe - Walk-up Window (2/05)
Food Quest - Cheesecake Factory Express - Disney Quest (10/04)
House of Blues (5/05)
House of Blues - Child's Menu (5/05)
House of Blues Gospel Sunday Brunch (6/01)
Wetzel's Pretzels (West Side) (5/05)
Wolfgang Puck Cafe (1/06)
Wolfgang Puck - Kid's (9/04)
Wolfgang Puck's "The Dining Room" (Upstairs)(7/05)
Wolfgang Puck's "The Dining Room" (Upstairs) Kid's Menu (7/05)
Wonderland Cafe - Run by Cheesecake Factory - Disney Quest (6/05)

sap1227 said:
I would love to meet with everyone on Saturday for a casual get together, there would be 4 of us.

Just a suggestion--maybe the AllStar Cafe would be a good place to meet since we will all be there anyways.

Christy

I walked in during Marathon Expo to just find out about hours and if they'd remain open for the playoffs--it was PACKED and there is no ADR's. So something to keep in mind.

I like the foodcourt ideas as well.

Trying to convince hubby to let me do DL--so while I"m expressing interest...gotta pick my travel plan battles. :crazy: Worst case scenario, I can drive over same day for minnie. Heck--I can drive over...go to expo, eat with everyone and then come back home.

I have also heard that Earl of Sandwich is wonderful. I don't know anything about the seating at either one, though.

I would also be up for meeting Saturday. It will be me , mom & my best friend. I think DTD would be a good idea. I didn't like mgt's negative view of us coming to TE either.

I would like to know if I could join up with everyone as I will be running my first race in the 15K and would really like to run with someone.

I had posted in another post that my friends who are training me told me I should be able to complete the Minnie in about 1:30 and then I got on the treadmill on Sunday and just about died.

Anyways looking to join up with anyone who would like a partner.

Keri

KeriZ said:
I would like to know if I could join up with everyone as I will be running my first race in the 15K and would really like to run with someone.

I had posted in another post that my friends who are training me told me I should be able to complete the Minnie in about 1:30 and then I got on the treadmill on Sunday and just about died.

Anyways looking to join up with anyone who would like a partner.

Keri

Come join us on the weekly training thread :welcome:

Here's an "anyone know" question: I just sent in my registration yesterday and now I'm starting to obsess :rotfl: . Anybody know if they'll send us a packet (like they did for the marathon) with our form to sign and instructions on transportation, etc.? I'm really wondering if early AM transportation to the start will be provided like it was at the marathon, or should we prepare to make alternate arrangements. I hope they'll send something prior to the race that makes this clear rather than giving it all out at the expo. (when it''s too late to make other arrangements). The website doesn't say.

If you don't know specifically for the Minnie, can anyone who's done some of the "smaller" events such as the race for the tase tell what happened there? Maybe it'll be similar for the Minnie. Any input appreciated to soothe my obsessive mind.

My DD and I did the Race for the Cure which started and ended at the AK parking lot. We had to take a taxi from OKW to the start because there was no transportation furnished.

The Minnie should be a larger race so hopefully they will have transport to the start.

I guess I am in!

I am nervous since I haven't exercised in forever! But, we now have a treadmill in the basement (with a tv) and I bought 2 really nice workout outfits tonight! I am bound & determined to start training tomorrow afternoon.

My Mom is going to come with me and do the 15k. She did her first half earlier this month at WDW. If she can do it, and she's 19 years older, I really have no excuse! ;) And it will be a great mother/daughter weekend - leaving the hubbies (and my 2 year old) at home! :teeth:

Welcome Keri! pixiedust: As Minnie said, come join us on the weekly Walking/Running Club thread. Is your 2yo a daughter or son? I have a DD who's almost 3 and I think Lynnda's DS is also near that.

Earl of Sandwich is nice...they have some indoor seating, but I think the outdoor seating area might work better, especially if we meet a little early.

I've never been to Wolfgang Puck's, so not sure of seating. Express menu looks tasty!

I LOVE Bongo's...would definitely be happy to eat there again.

There's a stage area near World of Disney that I've never seen anyone performing on, with lots of seating. If we overflow other seating areas, we could potentially get our food to go and all sit there.

Any other thoughts?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter