Our stroller was stolen at Epcot!

Valerie-Ann

Earning My Ears
Hi all. We just got back on Sat. from a wonderful 8 day vacation to WDW.
The only bad part of the whole week was when our stroller was stolen!

We (me, DH, DS 9, DD 2) went on the Maelstrom ride in Norway, and when we came out, our stroller was gone! There were 2 other strollers parked there, and Security said that possibly one of their owner's grabbed the wrong stroller accidentally. So, I waited, but both strollers were claimed.

Anyway, you couldn't miss our stroller, with the kids big masks that they made sticking out of it! And, I have to say that crowds were very light.

As we took the LONG walk back to our hotel room at the Boardwalk, we looked for our stroller, but no luck.

The next day, it was not found, so we had to rent a stroller at Sea World. That night when we went to Epcot, they gave us a stroller rental for free. While DD and I waited at Germany, DH and DS went over to Epcot Lost and Found. Well, they found our stroller! BUT, all our stuff was gone. The thief had taken the kids Masks (that they spent time making at Epcot) and the kids sweatshirts and sweaters, and DD's little dalmatian purse we had just bought. Luckily that was all that we had left on the stroller. But, my son was really upset about his mask and sweatshirt. Especially since there was not time to make a new mask.

Just want to tell you the we had called Lost and Found, and they said that they did not have the stroller. So, if you lose something, I would suggest going and looking yourself at Lost and Found.

Also, our stroller was not anything great. Yes, it was brand new. But, it's just a simple Kolcraft umbrella stroller. I really like it cause it reclines.

This is probably a rare occurance (I think?) But, I know that some of you are bringing expensive strollers with you on vacation. I don't know what the solution is. I can't imagine trying to lock up a stroller every time you had to park it!

When we are lucky enough to visit WDW again, I would still bring my own stroller. (Though by that time DD may be too big for one!). I would not bring an expensive one though. My Kolcraft was perfect for my 2 1/2 yr. old. She even fell asleep in it a few times.

Missing "the World" already :rolleyes:
~Valerie

Valerie -- We just got back, too. And it's funny. We bought that Kolcraft stroller that reclines, too. (It was great.) But we saw sooo many of them. (Coming out of the Lion King, the CM's had lined them up together. There were five of them! How could anyone tell the difference!?) Glad you got yours back. Wish you hadn't lost the other stuff, though. That kind of tarnishes the magic a little.
Julie

So sorry to hear this, and I thank you for posting it.

Most people don't think there's a problem with stealing strollers so this is a good warning.

I'm going to try not to stress about this but I will try to take precautions so they won't be so tempted to steal ours. I've gotten some great ideas on this board!

Sorry to hear about that, that's a bummer. When we went last Nov we took everything with us just in case. Just can't trust leaving it. I got a Kolkraft also for this trip (spending as little as possible because of the remote poss. of it getting "lifted"). I didn't even bother with the recliner only because we're not planning on spending too much time at the parks.

I would recommend though, for anyone else, to bring some type of lightweight back pack or bag to put your stuff in so you can take it with you when you do go on an attraction. Plus, during the summer months you never know when there's going to be a cloud burst so you don't want your things to get soaked (keep a stroller cover or poncho handy). If you didn't have little ones you'd have to carry it anyway and if it is really a nuisance or heavy you can rent a locker or if you make a purchase have it sent to your room (if you stay on property).

2 weeks from tomorrow and here we come...

I'm sorry to hear that you lost all your stuff!

I wonder if the theif really took your stuff or if they dumped it out so they could use your stroller for free.

Although, we have gone with an umbrella stroller two times and had no problem, a girlfriend who went in June had hers taken (had nametag on bar too). So this time she got a cheap (12.99 at k-mart) one and is putting bright pink fabric paint around the edges. It doesn't look as bad as I thought it would and will deter someone taking it by accident or not. My sister did this with her luggage so it is easily recognized.

We are going shopping tomorrow to buy a stroller for our vacation. 4yo DD will need one. We will need one with a canopy, drink holder, and it has to fold up. DH said bring a bike lock but I told him that was probably not realistic. Is it?
I guess I will take your advice and try to A)Personalize the stroller and B) Make sure I don't leave anything I don't want to be taken!!!!

:( How awful! I can't believe someone would steal a stroller...especially with all your children's things in it.

I have to concur on the cheap stroller advice. Our first trip with my DD, we took our expensive (and HEAVY) stroller and it was a real pain - especially when trying to load ourselves, the stroller and kids on the buses. We purchased a cheaper (and lighter) stroller before our next visit and it made a huge difference.

We thought about locking our stroller at WDW, especially after our stroller was stolen at Six Flags last year (we got it back by chasing the family...yes, family...down). However, I don't think it would work because CMs often move the strollers to the exit when you park them at the entrance. If they were locked they couldn't be moved.

Incidentally, one time the CMs moved our strollers under cover when it rained while we were in an attraction. Took a while to find it (had to ask) but there it was safe and sound...and dry!

sorry to hear this. we have been fortunate and not had any problems but we usually grab our back pack and camera bag before going to an attraction and our big double stroller must be too much trouble for theifs and not as easily mistaken for others. again i am sorry you had this experience. i would hate for this to happen to me.

Depending on your stroller's wheels, you might be able to put a bike cable lock through one or both of the front wheels and the frame. With the front wheels immobilized, the stroller would be useless to a thief, but the CMs could still move it by doing a "wheelie." This is what we did with ours last trip and it worked fine.

That sounds like a great idea. Thanks.
ariel02.gif

Less than 2 weeks to go...

A tip for identifying strollers that look alike.

DH and I had the problem of losing our stroller every time we went on a ride because there were so many that lookd a like!! Finally we bought a luggage tag and snapped it onto the back of the stroller! It was bright green and easy to identify!!

:jester: :jester:

Sorry to hear about that, but I do exactly what SheDaisy does and we never have had a problem!

After having a stroller taken at MK, we do what both Buckeye and Shedaisy have suggested. I lock the back wheel to the frame which does not prevent a CM from moving it, but does render it useless to a would-be thief. I also have clearly tagged it (redundant, I know.) Additionally, I never leave anything in or on it anymore. So often I see backpacks full of stuff hanging on the back of strollers. Unfortunately ours was on it when it was taken. Never again!

How heart-breaking for your kids ~ I'm sorry. To the person who took your stroller "YOU REAP WHAT YOU SOW! ~ SO WATCH OUT!"

I was worried about theft too. It was a pain, but we brought a backpack and filled it with our stuff for every attraction the whole family went on.

Hey Natalie's daddy, Natalie is adorable, how old is she? She looks a bit younger than our dd. Too bad about your stroller, I've always been paranoid to leave anything anywhere (we ended up taking our umbrella stroller last time so we couldn't leave anything in it anyway because we had not basket), but we just got a (cheapie) new stroller that has a basket but plan to take everything with us.

I'm going to have to go with that lock idea. You said you just put it thru the back wheel and then lock it to the frame? Do you use just a regular bike lock with a cable (key lock?) You know, it just must put a damper on your visit. We go up there to escape reality, don't we?

How often have you taken your dd to WDW? She seems to be relaxed around the characters. My dd hasn't really met any big characters yet, but I think she will this trip coming up.

<font color= red><font size = 4><font = "comic sans">Only 11 more days!</font color></font size></font>
mickey17a.gif

I AM SO SORRY TO HEAR THIS - WE HAVE ALWAYS TAKEN A STROLLER TO WDW, UNI, IOA SEAWORLD, BUSCH GARDENS ETC ETC

WE HAVE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS, CALL US INNOCENT, STUPID, THICK WHATEVER BUT WE THOUGHT WDW WAS ABOVE ALL THIS

WE HAVE LEFT OUR STROLLER WITH STUFF IN THE BASKET, NEVER HAD ANY PROBS NEVER EXPECTED TOO- THANK GOODNES OUR DD AND DS ARE TOO OLD FOR THEM NOW.

WE THINK WDW LEAVES A KINDA MAGIC = PIXIE DUST, ETCS

SHAME THAT THE MINORITY ALWAYS THINK DIFFERENT

LUCKILY THERE ARE MORE OF US THAN THERE IS OF THEM

PIXIE DUST RULES OK!!

Sorry to hear about your stroller loss. We bought our stroller at Wal-Mart and it looked like alot of people did too. So when CM would hand out the Mickey and Minnie stickers - we placed them all over so - that the stroller would be noticeable to us and also - hopefully undesireable to others.

Jul;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter