• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OUR SPIRITED BEGINNING = Casper's Magical Journey to Disney

Are you ready to tackle your fast passes tomorrow? I did some of ours this morning before I left for work. It was pretty quick even though I had to go in and edit them to change times. They didn't seem to want to give me early morning times but I found they were available if I edited each one after it was initially created.

Looks like we may be bumping into you at AK on the 3rd and EP on the 4th (and at MNSSHP on the 1st if you decide to do that on your arrival day!)

Hope everything is going well and the kids are enjoying their first few days of summer vacation!

Judy

Oh my Gosh I have been so neglectful. Our summer has been quite eventful the older kids spent almost 2 weeks with my parents who live 9 hours away, we hadn't seen them for almost a year so it was a really nice treat.

Then my grandfather unfortunately ended up in the hospital while they were there and it looks like he won't be coming home and instead needs to go into a nursing home. He has dementia and now cannot use the left side of his body and with my grandmothers own health issues she just cannot take care of him anymore. His kidneys are shutting down and it looks like his days with us are getting fewer, he is 78, this is hitting me hard I have to say. I spent much of my childhood yearly years with my grandparents as my Mom was a single Mom from when I was 3 until 9, and even when we lived far away when I was a pre-teen/teen I would spend months of my summers with them. I just am not quite ready to say good bye. My grandfather is a veteran, he's a strong Army Engineer and the story goes that the only time anyone has ever seen him cry was when I was born. I'm Papa's girl. :lovestruc

We got to see my family when we made the 9 hours drive to pick the older kids up and I am glad I got to visit my grandfather and grandmother and also have Casper see my grandma. He couldn't visit my grandfather for fear of infection and I think it might have been too much for Papa, and me, but I brought him a poster size collage of pictures of the kids to hang on his wall.

Casper is doing well, 22lbs and 30in tall. We saw his hem/onc team and had his work up just before leaving to pick the kids up. His levels are okay, not great but okay. His ANC is very low and so are his Platelets so we're keeping an eye on things and trying to be vigilant. His seizures are getting a bit more intense and he's been having difficulty with night seizures, the other night was just horrible he kept waking up screaming and so stiff having seizures poor guy. He sees the neurologist next week so his pediatrician is expecting the neuro to put him on a medication for the seizures. Hopefully it's one we can easily travel with.

On that note CBR has fridges in the rooms right? I just want to make sure they do in case it's a med that we have to refrigerate.

Other than that we have been spending some weekends in Toronto with my mother in law and the kids went to spend a week with her in the city last week. Now the kids and I are staying to pet sit for her for a week too. Casper LOVES it in the city, he LOVES watching the cars and does his sign for car over and over and over, and waves to everyone we pass. It's hilarious, he's SO FRIENDLY, he won't give up until the person acknowledges him. LOL Even the most hateful looking people end up smiling at him, how could you not. ;)

We have our flights booked, we leave from Detroit Sept 1st. And our FP+ are mostly booked, I even managed to get a FP for Elsa & Anna YAY! :banana: Anastasia is SO EXCITED. Casper is CRAZY CRAZY CRAZY for Frozen. Oh my gosh he LOVES that movie. He doesn't watch much really on TV, he's just way to active and go go go to care, but he will watch most of the movie. He also says "Let it Go" and with say it over and over and over until Daddy starts singing the song. It's HILARIOUS. Cars are also his fave so I can't wait to see his reaction when he sees Lightening McQueen. BUT his #1 love is Mickey, next to his pandas, he does the sign for Mickey and says something that almost sounds like Mickey. He giggles and gets so excited that he starts shaking when he sees Mickey it's so adorable. :goodvibes Anastasia is worried that Mickey may not understand the sign for Mickey when we see him and so won't know what Casper is saying but I am pretty confident he'll get it. ;)

I still have a bit of a "To Do" list. I have to find a bag to use in the parks. I haven't found one that will carry Caspers things and that I can use while wearing him. I also need to figure out when to order a stroller off of Amazon to have it shipped to the resort and which one to get. I also want to get a bigger sunshade for whichever one we do get because Casper's skin is even more sensitive now it seems and he's blistering so quickly out in the sun even with sunscreen.

Then order Garden Grocer and book one last dining reservation.

I booked the kids Pirate dress up thing so that's done. I think every time I sit down to think about the trip it seems like I add more to my "To Do" list. :rotfl:

I did manage to make a countdown calendar for the kids though. I added little numbered mickey heads for each day.

10464294_10152451877955027_7028898395845393006_n.jpg

Casper's hair is getting so long, I just remembered that I have to book his first hair trim at the Magic Kingdom. Does anyone know if you have to make a reservation or can you just walk in?

10484152_10152508659315027_2416313416933940859_n.jpg

10484272_10152508659300027_8445973011561818099_n.jpg

I can't believe he will be 3 soon, Sept 26th. It's incredible. :lovestruc

On that note CBR has fridges in the rooms right? I just want to make sure they do in case it's a med that we have to refrigerate.

Yes, they do. I definitely saw them in the pictures of the room renos/makeovers (but even the old rooms have them). Did you do your early check in yet?

Casper's hair is getting so long, I just remembered that I have to book his first hair trim at the Magic Kingdom. Does anyone know if you have to make a reservation or can you just walk in?

All you need to know about the Harmony Barber Shop: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/magic-kingdom/harmony-barber-shop/

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather's declining health and Casper's seizures. :grouphug:

Did you decide on MNSSHP yet? And what about the cake?

Judy

Yes, they do. I definitely saw them in the pictures of the room renos/makeovers (but even the old rooms have them). Did you do your early check in yet?

Early check in? How do you do that and what advantage does it give you?

All you need to know about the Harmony Barber Shop: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/magic-kingdom/harmony-barber-shop/

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather's declining health and Casper's seizures. :grouphug:

Did you decide on MNSSHP yet? And what about the cake?

Judy

Thanks so much, I booked his hair cut so he will be getting it on the first full day which is our MK day at 10am. :thumbsup2 I have to say I am a little nervous but I know they will do a great job and it will be fun to have his first hair cut EVER be at magic kingdom, I seriously haven't trimmed it or anything.

Anastasia watched the videos of MNSSHP and decided that it would be just too scary for her, she's quite sensitive and can't even watch Lion King all the way through because it's too scary, the first Monsters Inc too. Iggy would love to go but I think we will skip it, I just can't stomach spending all that money to have them not enjoy it.

Oh my gosh I totally forgot about the cake. I'm not sure I have the energy or time to really figure it out honestly. Casper's seizures have been worse and we have been spending the week in the city with just the kids and I, I am exhausted and missing my husband. I still need to figure out what we are doing for Anastasia's birthday on the 4th, the kids have been away for almost 3 weeks now.

I am trying to figure out which stroller to get and whether to have it delivered to our home or to the resort but then if we get it delivered to the resort when do we order it to make sure it's there. I'm sure I'm over thinking it. :rotfl:

Last year we ordered a scooter from Apple Scooters. I know they do strollers and wheelchairs too. We got to AoA and the scooter was ready and waiting for us at the front of the hotel. My husband picked it up and was riding it before I could even get us checked into the hotel.

Maybe you can find some videos of Disney first haircuts on Youtube to show Casper so he knows what to expect. I am sure it will be super cute and then you will have adorable pictures of him the rest of the day. I think they put colors and glitter in their hair. Your other kids might not want haircuts but might want the color and glitter in their hair.

I'm sorry that Casper is still having such a tough time with the seizures. I hope the docs can get the meds sorted out soon so he can feel better and you can have some peace of mind before the trip.

The early / online check in is on the MDE page where you did your fastpasses. If you go to your reservation, you should see a link to the right that says Check In Online. You can tell them when you plan to arrive and also tell them the building you would prefer and/or the floor. They don't promise to give you that building/floor but at least you can make the request. I don't care which building we're in but I do want our rooms to be close/adjoining so that was my first request.

Apparently if you do the online check in, you just have to go to the front desk and pick up your package and be on your way. It's supposed to be faster so that works for me - more time in the parks on Day 1! Our flight is scheduled to arrive in Orlando around 12:45 p.m. so I'm hoping we're at the resort by 2:30 but we'll see. We're flying out of Detroit too on Delta.

I hope you can get everyone back home/together soon to start your countdown! 36 days left for us according to MDE so it must be 37 for you! It's getting close!

Judy

I feel like I am talking to myself here, besides the wonderful Diane and HeyJude, but it's a good record for my "To Do List".

The WDW site says we have 25 days to go :cool1:

Now I just have to get everyone feeling good. Poor Casper has a fever today and is coughing up a storm.

Okay I did online check in requested Jamaica and a ground floor room. Our plane gets in at 11:00 so I figured a check in of 2:30 would work. I just guessed.

We booked our hotel for the night before our flight in Detroit which includes our parking. And I booked his hair cut.

Now I need to pick one last day of meals and do 1 last day of fast passes. I also need to order tickets for Universal, I am hoping to get a deal somehow but I haven't found one yet. CAA only has package deals that include hotel stay.

We got info for Casper's MRI to check on his hydrocephalus, SOD and the growth on his pituitary and it will be 3 days after we get back from Disney. LOL We get home and we're right back at it. At least we get the vacation. Then he will be having a 7 day inpatient video EEG done so we need to co-ordinate that since it will be 2hrs away in the city and the kids need to be at school obviously. ::yes::

So I am feeling like I have a million and one things to do. But SO EXCITED for Disney. I was imagining getting there and Casper seeing Mickey and I started to tear up, I am so going to cry he's going to be so excited. :lovestruc

It sounds like you are really ready for Disney! It also sounds like it will be a wonderful break for all of you. Your plans sounds like they will be fantastic and tons of fun. I will be waiting to see pictures of Casper's first haircut. His hair has gotten quite long in your recent pictures. Are you doing a short haircut or something longer for him? I hope you are able to get everybody healthy and ready for the trip! I haven't seen or heard of any deal on Universal tickets. Years ago when we took our kids it was before the Harry Potter stuff opened and I bought tickets through Costco. They were cheaper there but I don't think they do that anymore.

TODAY IS THE DAY!

Well today is the day. I think we have EVERYTHING packed and we are ready to go. I am up at 2:30am I am WAY too excited to sleep. :cool1:

Today we head to MI and then fly out first thing in the AM tomorrow.

The kids are BESIDE themselves. Casper isn't really sure what's going on but he has been so mischievous lately that he's just excited because Asia & Iggy are.

Packing was a BREEZE because of you AMAZING incredible Big Give ladies. Seriously I can't think you enough again for the tremendous joy and blessing you brought to my family. The packages helped keep the kids excited and passed the time waiting for today to come.

We got the call this week from Casper's team to say that his blood work is in the low range but that if we are vigilant and have him wear a mask he should be just fine for Disney. They are just as excited for our trip as we are, they all agree we need this time. The weekend we get back Casper has his MRI and our calendar is already TOTALLY full with appointments, tests, and therapy for the next 3 months so I am REALLY looking forward to just getting away and not thinking about everything for a bit. :cloud9:

PLEASE if you did not get a thank you from me, PLEASE message me to let me know. We have had such issues with our mail and I feel like I forgot to mail one or two which makes me feel like a total A$$ I REALLY want to make sure that EVERYONE is thanked it's important to me.

I have been accepted to the Big Give group on Facebook and I am SO EXCITED to join your amazing group of women to help give back and spread joy myself to all of the other inspiring families going on trips. :grouphug:

I have been scrimping and saving the past couple months and managed to put together enough money to surprise the kids with Memory Maker. I really didn't want to bring our camera with us since it's so big and I also wanted a way to have pictures of the WHOLE family for once so I am excited to see how this works.

First order of business today though is getting a diaper bag that we can use. I realized when I went to get the kids things together for school, since they are missing the first week, that I have been using Asias backpack all summer as a diaper bag. :rolleyes1 So I need something for the trip and just everyday. It's hard finding something cute and functional that's not super big and doesn't break the bank. We're going to stop at Target when we cross the boarder today so fingers crossed I find something.

I will try to post as we go but I may not be able to since we also have to get US phones today, not sure if we will get Data or not I am hoping so. I think I am going to try to get a US SIM card for my phone so then I can just use my phone.

Only a couple more hours. :dance3:

We're about 24 hours ahead of you! Our border crossing Saturday afternoon was a breeze - drove right over the bridge at Sarnia - Port Huron and then to an open customs officer! We are just getting ready now to head over to the airport for our flight. Hope it is as easy for you today! I'll be on the lookout for you at the resort this week so we can say hi in person!

Judy

Sounds like you are already on your to having a wonderful trip. I hope you found a great diaper bag that works perfectly. Otherwise, my dd bought an adorable Mickey backpack when we were at Disney last time. Maybe that would work out for you. I am so glad that you have joined the Big Give group. We look forward to having you work with us. And have a wonderful, fantastic, magical trip!:banana::banana::banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter