Our Second "Magical" Cruise with the Key Lime Pie-Rates

Hi Cinda,

Just found your trip report and loving reading it. I wish we had relaxed more like you instead of trying to do so much.

Can't wait to read more.

Jane

Love your TR Cinda! We laid around a LOT and I don't have so many pictures so have hesitated on the TR. I am glad you got some rest. We loved that spot by Cove Cafe too!

Well, I had read lots of message boards to prepare for our third time in Grand Cayman. On our first Disney cruise, we did the Island Tour with Hell, the Turtle Farm (not as nice as it is now), and Stingray City. On our second time, we turned right at the port and walked down to Eden Rock to snorkel all day. So, this time I tried to come up with something more "creative."

We had a nice breakfast and got to the tender area around 10:30. We were on shore by 11:00 and ready to go. I wanted to take a cab to Cemetary Beach(the very far end of 7 Mile Beach) and walk the beach back to the ship snorkelling at multiple reefs (Cemetary, Cheeseburger, the Cali wreck, etc).

We did see these guys while dining on the aft deck of Topsiders...

DisneyCruise2009064.jpg

DisneyCruise2009063.jpg

When we got off the tender, we had a really hard time finding a taxi that would take us there. We finally found one that crammed us into a big van full of people with a price of $6 each. The other passengers were heading to Sea Grape Beach (the public beach) for $4 each. On set asked to go to a specific place and she said she would take them there. Well...the not-so-nice taxi lady pulled up at the public beach and told everyone except us to basically get off! :scared1: The other people kept asking her to take them where they requested and she totally refused saying it wasn't open to "cruise people." (They had some paper with the information...something about Treasure Island resort...) I felt really bad for them as they were German with limited English skills and she was VERY rude. :sad2: BTW She also increased all of their prices to $5 each when getting off.

Well, before pulling out of that parking area, she demanded that we pay her $7 each. I had already planned to give her $15 (when the price was $12), but this made me so mad that she got her stupid $15 and that was it. I wish I had single bills because I wouldn't have tipped her at all... We felt totally ripped off and she knew exactly what she was doing. :headache:

We did arrive at Cemetary Beach and set out to snorkel this "amazing" area. NOT! We swam for 90 minutes way out and really didn't see anything worthwhile. We got bored here and started our trek towards the ship. We snorkelled several areas marked from the beach, despite rough currents. We really didn't see much of anything at all the areas and found the beach VERY rocky at various points.

Little barracuda dude.... I think...
DisneyCruise2009068.jpg

Little yellow fish under a cement "object." (Oh... I forgot....reef...)
DisneyCruise2009088.jpg

Ultimately we walked a mile or two to the public beach where we visited several Dis buddies. We were BEAT! (The sand was deep, so it was like walking in quicksand up to our mid-shin areas.) At the public beach, we paid $8 for 2 small bottles of water! :scared1:

Another "reef..."
DisneyCruise2009100.jpg

The desolate 7 Mile Beach. (There were lots of areas without anyone on the beach...)
DisneyCruise2009103.jpg

Adam and I at the beach with my "rooster head" as Adam calls it...
DisneyCruise2009107.jpg

We then hopped on a taxi to come back to the Magic. Overall, we won't do that day again. After 3 trips in Grand Cayman, I'd say the best things to do are the city tour with the stingrays OR snorkel at Eden Rock (right out of the terminal) or the other place (can't remember the name to the left of the terminal). The snorkelling at those areas is AMAZING and essentially free if your have your own gear and don't require a locker.

We got onto the ship, showered, and got ready for Pirate Night. It was fun as usual and the fireworks were amazing, though my experience the next morning led me to never want to consume a turkey leg ever again... More to come on that note!

DisneyCruise2009109.jpg

DisneyCruise2009114.jpg

Sorry you had a nasty taxi driver. I've heard others report they had great taxi drivers, but then hearing your story makes me leary of going off on my own.

We did the DCL shipwreck/snorkel tour and saw a lot of fish (even saw a stingray) and had a great time and all within sight of the ship.

The turkey leg story doesn't sound like it will be a pleasant story. We completely missed the buffet (we went to Rockin Bar D and then realized we missed the food). :confused3 I

Well, after enjoying the Pirate party, we decided to get a little fruit and stuff from the buffet. After reading about all of the turkey legs, I felt like I just HAD to get one! So, I took it downstairs to the room.

After one or two bites, I quickly remembered why I'm not so fond of them. It was pretty greasy and hard to eat with all of the tendons and all. I probably only ate 1/4 to 1/3 of the leg and gave up.

The next morning (Wednesday) was our second sea day thanks to the altered itinerary. I had gotten up several times during the night and noticed the ship was rocking a little more. Well....I woke up at about 8:30 am and Adam was sound asleep. I turned on my bedside lamp so that I could resume my book reading (it was getting good at this point :)).

I read about 3 pages (with the ship rocking) and then it hit me... Nausea like you wouldn't believe. :sick: (Rocking ship plus greasy turkey leg=bad combo!) I immediately got out of bed and took a Meclizine tablet (Bonine) with a little water. I also ate a few Cheese Nips (thanks to whoever put them in my FE) and drank some of a Coke Zero. No luck...

We were scheduled for Palo at 10:30 and really didn't want to miss it. I kind of knew my day was screwed, but I really didn't want to ruin Adam's and I KNOW he LOVES Palo brunch. So... I pulled myself together, got showered and dressed, and we were sitting outside of Palo at 10:15.

The ship was rocking really bad (at least to me). We were seated at our same table and had Emanuel (our wonderful waiter from before). Knowing that alcohol was a bad choice, I began my meal with sparkling cider. Emanuel showed us the buffet and explained all of our food choices. Unfortunately, I was still feeling VERY green. I decided on 3 pieces of cheese and 5 crackers. I did select 2 shrimp as well, but after eating one...I knew that wasn't a good idea. (I LOVE shrimp by-the-way...) Adam ate plenty for both of us. Emanuel was wonderful and offered to get me anything I wanted (even if I just wanted it "to go")... At the end of the meal, he plated me several desserts to take back to the room so that I could enjoy them if I started feeling better. (Which was VERY nice in my opinion.)

We walked outdoors a little hoping it would help me to get some fresh air. Well...it didn't! Finally, around 12:45 we went back towards the room. I gave in and took one Dramamine. From then until 5:00, the day is a blur.:rolleyes1 I slept like crazy and finally got up feeling "hung over." During that time, Adam stayed in the room watching movies and playing his PSP. I encouraged him to do whatever he desired and to go up on deck, but that's what he chose to do. (I told you we were geeks!)

We dressed up for semiformal night and enjoyed a very nice dinner at Parrot Cay. We then went to the show and Rockin Bar D to try to salavge what was left of the day..

Sorry, no photos for this day... Can't say there was much to photograph!

Thursday was WAYYYY better, so more to come!

wow. sounds like you had a rough day. :sick:
you were a better woman than I for still making an attempt to be upright AND anywhere near food:scared:
you are good!
I'm glad you felt better later!

You were right, Wednesday WAS really rocky. We went to the "backstage tour" that morning and since the theater is at the front of the ship we were feeling EVERY wave.

After your story I'm glad we missed the pirate buffet..

Oh Lucinda so sorry about being nauseous that stinks!!! My husband was the same way though, he decided to give in and take a bonine that helped but he felt so nauseous, we sat by the pool and the kids would be sliding from one side to the other, sort of like a wave pool!!!
I love your report.
Kristin

First off, thanks for the nausea apologies! I've never been seasick on previous cruises, but decided that from now on I'll take a Meclizine (Bonine) every night of the cruise. (Sadly, that's what I always recommend on "nausea" boards...but doctors never seem to take our own advice.:rolleyes1)

Thursday moring, we got up and had our usual Topsiders breakfast. (After 4 cruises, we have yet to eat breakfast in a dining room.) We then got off of the ship without any clue as to what we wanted to do. It was pretty cloudy and a little rainy, so we were hesitant to make any major plans. I secretly wanted to snorkel with the sharks with Stuart Cove, but I didn't book pre-cruise because I didn't know the hours that we would be in port. Plus, the truth is that Adam was just not interested and probably would have refused to get into the water with 8 ft sharks!:eek: (I would have been pretty psyched!)

We ambled down the dock and decided that since it was my first time at Nassau, a tour might be nice. (We usually take a tour the first time we go to any port just to get an "education" on the area.) We paid $25 per person to jump into a nice airconditioned van with 8 other Carnival passengers.

Our first stop was at the Nassau Water Tower with the Fort and the Queen's Staircase.

DisneyCruise2009122.jpg

DisneyCruise2009124.jpg

Next, we toured the island neighborhoods en route to Atlantis. I can honestly say that I have no interest in living in Nassau, even in the "finest" neighborhoods!

We ventured over to Atlantis where our tour guide instructed us on what things to look for (ie the aquarium, the blown glass lighting, the gold cupula in the lobby, the giant chair, and the beach). We took a few pictures then hopped back into the van and completed our tour.

DisneyCruise2009128.jpg

DisneyCruise2009130.jpg

Once back at the port, we enjoyed some conch fritters. We did walk down to the straw market and bought some little "turtle" toys for our nephews. It was a little annoying, but not as bad as I thought it would be. We quickly bought what we needed and headed back tot he ship.

We enjoyed the pool for about an hour, then showered and got dressed for dinner at Lumieres. This is Adam's second favorite menu (behind lobster) because they serve escargot. We loved watching our tablemates photographing their first snail experience and we enjoyed our snail experience though felt that a most of the snails were slightly overcooked (thus rubbery)!

Afterwards, we headed to the show followed by our nightly appointment at Rockin Bar D. We headed off to bed way before the ship sailed out of Nassau to be ready for our day at Castaway Cay!

Well -- thanks to your Dr advice, I did take a Bonine every day. I think I took 2 on Wednesday and thankfully never had a problem.

Yoni had a terrible time AFTER the cruise readjusting but it was easy for me. Thanks to my wonderful DR friend! :thumbsup2

I wish we had made it to the pirate buffet just to see all the food but both kids were wiped out. I guess after your experience, maybe it was good we missed it. We watched the fireworks from the balcony and headed to bed. We didn't even get off the boat in Nassau but a tour is probably a wise idea. Maybe next time although honestly, hope there isn't a next time.

Can't wait to read the rest!!!

Your Nassau tour sounded like it actually went well! Jason and I considered it but then decided on just heading back to the pool. Yay on the escargo! I must say that I actually enjoyed it.

Well, we awoke Friday morning to some pretty nasty weather! We slept in until about 9:00 then headed up for our last breakfast at Topsiders. While eating, the winds really picked up and the temperature seemed quite cool! (Probaby in the low 70s that morning.) There was a storm brewing near the island...

We finished breakfast and were heading to the gangway when we heard that the gangways were closing and that we couldn't get off the ship! (I wasn't sure I wanted to get off anyway...) Since that kind of changed our plans, we went back to the room to begin the painful process of packing.

After getting almost packed, the sky cleared somewhat and the gangways were opened. We got off the ship and headed towards Serenity Bay via tram.
Since we had been to Castaway Cay before, we bypassed most of the "photo spots." We did however take photos of the Flying Dutchman...

DisneyCruise2009138.jpg

(Adam was in a grumpy mood that morning, if you can't tell...)

Serenity Bay was quite an experience! The tide was way out and the water was cold! We slowly waded out (with lots of others) to the deeper water while trying to convince ourselves that it WAS going to warm up!

Once settled though, we were able to snorkel for over an hour and just relax on the beach playing PSP and reading.

DisneyCruise2009141.jpg

DisneyCruise2009159.jpg

The snorkelling in Serenity Bay was WAYYY better than it was back in 2005 and we really saw quite a few animals. While snorkelling, my camera completely died. This is interesting because the same thing happened to my "waterproof" camera that I had on our cruise in 2007. So.... I have no managed to drown 2 "waterproof" cameras in 2 years while snorkelling! (Oh well, I'm thinking I'll need a new camera for next year's vacation anyway, right?)

Here is the last picture taken prior to the "event."

DisneyCruise2009162.jpg

We got back on the ship in time to finish packing and prepare for our final dinner. Thankfully, we did have our video camera to "save" us during dinner that night. We enjoyed a wonderful dinner in Animators Palate and then headed to the farewell show followed by the final night in Rockin Bar D (which I won't spoil, but shouldn't be missed).

Since we knew that we needed to get up VERY early for breakfast the final morning, we went to bed around 1 am.

Well, Saturday morning came way too quickly! We enjoyed our final meal with our wonderful tablemates at Animators Palate and spent a few minutes watching the dolphins at the port. We then disembarked the ship which went very smoothly. We grabbed the Radissonn shuttle and met my parents to head towards home.

Here are some random final thoughts on our cruise:
1. The table stewards for us were ok. Not great, just ok. This was a BIG disappointment for us as our servers on our previous Magic cruise were absolutely AMAZING!
2. Our room steward was AMAZING and certainly deserves tons of praise!
3. The food on the cruise was generally good, though a few things were great (ie cheese soufle appetizer, strawberry soup, fresh pineapple and fruits).
4. Emanuel was our Palo server and he was WONDERFUL! (Especially on my "sick" day.)
5. We definitely tried to make "lemonade" out of the itinerary change, but I can honestly say that I have no interest in going to Nassau ever again.
6. Our Dis Board buddies really rocked and made our cruise very special!!! The FE gifts were TONS of fun and certainly worth the costs and time involved! If you aren't sure about participating in this, DO IT!!!

Overall, this was a very relaxing vacation for Adam and I. Unfortunately, Disney just didn't impress us like we expected. (There are several things we actually enjoyed much better on Carnival.) We did rebook online and will likely cruise Disney in the next several years, however I think we'll probably wait until a "little Sawinski" is involved.

Please feel free to ask any questions and thanks for reading my review!

THANKS DIS'ERS FOR MAKING OUR CRUISE SPECIAL!!!

I'm so sorry about your drowned waterproof camera accident! We really enjoyed dinner with you all and everything else we did. I ditto you on Felindro, the best room host ever, and the pineapple! I had pineapple every single day, usually for breakfast and lunch. It just doesn't taste the same now that we are back home.

Bummer on the camera! I agree with you on the food -- and our servers were just OK but our PALO server was WONDERFUL!

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us and it was so great to meet you! :hug: I hope you guys join us in 2012!!!!!

Wow, now that you mention the pineapple, I miss it all over again. That was one of the things that we loved every day too!:cloud9:
Sorry to hear that your dining servers weren't good. Ours were awesome and certainly made our trip more enjoyable for us yet our cabin steward was the exact opposite. On our previous cruise we had a much better experience.:confused3.
I really enjoyed your trip report. Thanks for sharing it!:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter