Our reviews from 8 days on Dining Plan (sorry no pics) COMPLETE

DAY 6
Snacks from Counter in Fantasmic's Hollywood Hills Theater

Highlights: Convenient location

Disappointments: Very limited menu

Would we return?: Maybe

This night DD2 and her friend went to see Fantasmic. They hadn't eaten dinner so they were hungry and decided to get a snack to have while watching the show. They got nacho chips with cheese sauce, a Sprite, and a bottle of water. This held them over until they got back to the hotel.

Total cost covered under the Dining Plan - Approx. $8.75 or $2.92 per snack credit

3 Snack credits used, 6 left

Next up: Boardwalk Bakery (again)

DAY 6
One dinner (shared by 2) from Boardwalk Bakery

Highlights: Muffins, Fruit Tarts, Wraps, Paninis, Carrot Cake

Disappointments: None

Would we Return?: Yes

When DD2 and her friend got back from seeing Fantasmic they were hungry so shared a meal from the bakery. They chose the Ham & Cheese Panini with chips, a Fuze Peach Mango drink, and of course DD2's favorite fruit tart for dessert. Everything was great!

Total cost covered under the Dining Plan - Approx. $17

1 Counter service meal credit used, 13 left

Next up: Cinderella's Royal Table

Thanks for your great reviews. We are staying at the Poly and going to Narcooses too for our anniv.

This is not a food question, but how far of a walk is it from the monorail to the restraunt? Also do you know if they have a place to "park" a wheelchair. I am recovering from cancer and 7 surgeries last year, so my strength is not too great yet. I am debating if we should lug the chair or just to get a taxi from the Poly.

Also how mushroomy is the filet? Overpowring, in every bite etc? I am thinking of that at Le Cellier.

Thanks for your great reviews. We are staying at the Poly and going to Narcooses too for our anniv.

This is not a food question, but how far of a walk is it from the monorail to the restraunt? Also do you know if they have a place to "park" a wheelchair. I am recovering from cancer and 7 surgeries last year, so my strength is not too great yet. I am debating if we should lug the chair or just to get a taxi from the Poly.

Also how mushroomy is the filet? Overpowring, in every bite etc? I am thinking of that at Le Cellier.

The Poly is one of our favorite Disney resorts and Narcoossee's was one of our favorite meals of this trip. I hope you enjoy both of them as much as we did.

As far as the walk from the monorail, it's not terribly far. The monorail platform is located on the second floor of the main building so you would take the elevator down to the main floor (lobby) and exit the back of the building. You go past the quiet pool and down the path to the beach/dock area, which is where the restaurant is located. I'm pretty sure that you would not be able to take a taxi directly to this restaurant. I'm thinking that the taxi would let you off at the front of the hotel so your only gain would be that you would be left off on the first floor (lobby) of the main building instead of the second. You would still have to go across the lobby to the other side to exit and then proceed down the path to Narcoossee's. Another possibility would be to take the boat from the Poly. I think you would first stop at the Magic Kingdom, then at the Grand Floridian boat dock, which is right next to the restaurant. Then I believe on the return trip you would go directly to the Poly. We did not take the boat this time but have on a previous visit to Narcoossee's. I'm not sure though if these small boats are handicapped accessible.

I'm also not sure about the wheelchair storage question. I would think that they could accommodate you, but perhaps someone else here on the boards could better answer that question.

Regarding the mushroom filet, I wouldn't say the mushroom flavor in the sauce is too strong (otherwise, DD1 would not have liked it as she is not too crazy about mushrooms... just recently started eating them in very small amounts). The risotto however is definitely mushroom flavored so if you are like her then I would do as she did and substitute the mashed potatoes for the risotto.

I hope you have a great trip and Happy Anniversary!

Thank you so much for the reviews. We have some of the same places reserved, so this inside info helps a lot!

DAY 7
Snacks at Plaza Ice Cream Parlor at Magic Kingdom

Highlights: Ice cream cones, floats

Just a couple of hours after our breakfast at the castle, the kids were hungry again and wanted ice cream. :confused3 So we made our way through the crowds watching a parade on Main Street (it seems like there is always a parade of some sort going on now at MK) to the Plaza Ice Cream Parlor. DS had a root beer float, 2 of the girls both got single scoop mint chocolate chip cones, and DD2 had a double scoop cone with one scoop of chocolate and the other strawberry ice cream. All of these were quickly devoured!

Total cost covered under the Dining Plan - Approx. $14.00 or $3.50 per snack credit

4 Snack credits used, just 2 left

Next up: Garden View Lounge

DAY 7
Afternoon Tea at Garden View Lounge at Grand Floridian

Highlights: Atmosphere, Food, Tea

Would We Return?: Definitely

Inspired by Brenda's (oybolshoi) Nov. 2006 review, DD1 and I first had tea at the Garden View during our 2007 trip. Since then, it has become one of our Disney World traditions. For this trip, DD2 and her friend joined us so it was a special treat for the girls only of our group. We took the resort monorail from Magic Kingdom to the Grand Floridian and arrived at the check-in podium a few minutes early for our 3:20 reservation (BTW, this reservation cannot be made or cancelled online for some reason, so you must do it over the phone. Also, since tea is only offered from 2:00 - 5:00 each day and the restaurant is small, this has somewhat limited availability). They didn't yet have a table available for us so we chose four comfortable chairs in the beautiful Grand Floridian lobby to wait for our name to be called. It was so quiet (except for the live piano music) and peaceful that DD2 actually fell asleep. :rotfl: We were then seated at a table by the window, overlooking the resort's lovely landscaping. Even though this restaurant is open to the hotel lobby, it is very quiet (unlike most Disney restaurants) and relaxing. DD2 decided to order a la carte and chose the fruit and cheese plate (which she loved) and strawberries and cream. She doesn't like tea so ordered milk and the server brought it in a tea cup.:laughing: DD2's friend and DD1 both had the Buckingham Palace. Along with your choice of tea, this included five different tea sandwiches and an onion tartlet (1st course), a jam tart and a freshly baked scone with Devonshire Cream and strawberry preserves (2nd course), and finally a choice of either English trifle, strawberries and cream, or two freshly baked pastries (3rd course) for $19.50 pp. I chose the Grand Tea, which was the same as the Buckingham Palace except that for an additional $6 I also got a glass of sparkling wine and a small portion of pate with my 1st course. Two of us did sandwich substitutions without any problem. All three of us selected the Princess Breakfast Tea (described as a sweet custom blend of South African organic rooibos flavored with vanilla bean and a hint of strawberries). This is the same tea that DD1 and I have ordered on our previous visits, but we like it so much that we just can't bring ourselves to try something else :laughing: We also all three chose the fresh strawberries topped with a big dollop of whipped cream. These were super-sweet and absolutely delicious! Another thing that I enjoy about this place is that you are allowed to relax and enjoy each course...they do not try and rush you through the courses. In fact, we were there for 1 1/2 hours and enjoyed every minute of it.

We again loved our afternoon tea at the Garden View Lounge and it will continue to be on our must-do list. If it wasn't for the disboards we would have never known about this gem. So thank you Brenda and other reviewers here who helped to spread the word.

Regular Price for this meal (including 18% tip): $107.09
Our OOP Cost for Meal (with 20% TIW discount): $88.78

Saved $18.31 with TIW

Note: DDP credits can not be used at this restaurant

Next up: Boardwalk Bakery

DAY 7
One late lunch (shared by 2) from Boardwalk Bakery

Highlights: Muffins, Fruit Tarts, Wraps, Paninis, Carrot Cake

While the girls were having tea, DH and DS went back to the hotel to get something to eat from the bakery and then take a nap. They ended up sharing the identical meal as what DD2 and friend had last night...a Ham & Cheese Panini with chips, a Fuze Peach Mango drink, and a fruit tart for dessert. I assume they liked it because there wasn't anything left when we returned to the hotel.

Total cost covered under the Dining Plan - Approx. $17

1 Counter service meal credit used, 12 left

Next up: Tutto Italia

DAY 7
While standing there I saw and overheard two young guys (probably college age) approach the podium and ask the lady there if they had any openings for two for breakfast. To my shock :scared1: she replied, "Yes, we do. I can seat you immediately." She then proceeded to inform them of the price and that they would be dining with the princesses. They couldn't get away from there fast enough! :lmao:

:rotfl: That is funny! :rotfl2:

Anyways, thanks for all the reviews. I've loved all the detail in them and the cost analyses! :thumbsup2

Since you are bakery experts, did you notice any bakeries having whole-grain goodies on the ddp/dxdp?

Since you are bakery experts, did you notice any bakeries having whole-grain goodies on the ddp/dxdp?

The only bakery we visited more than once was the Boardwalk Bakery and I don't recall seeing anything there that was whole-grain. Of course we were pretty focused there on things like muffins, fruit tarts, etc. (not healthy stuff, but we sure loved them ;)), so may have missed them.

A slight correction... After talking to DD1 I found out that her wrap was made with a whole wheat tortilla (she's fairly certain, anyway) and perhaps multi-grain bread is used in some of the paninis here (ham & cheese one I think is on sourdough bread though). So I guess it depends on what you mean by whole-grain goodies???

DAY 7
Dinner at Tutto Italia at Epcot World Showcase (Italy)

Highlights: Penne Caprese

Disappointments: Pretty much everything else, especially the service

Would We Return?: No, but might give the new Italy restaurant (pizzeria) a try

Background info first...I should first confess that this restaurant was probably not a wise choice for our group and I take full responsibility for my mistake. I really should have known better. Just like many of you I'm sure, I am half Italian. In fact, I was raised for a few years by my Italian grandmother who was an excellent cook. After her death, my love for pretty much all Italian food continued, although I had to settle for a much lesser quality. Heck, I have found that I can even enjoy a meal at Olive Garden now and then :laughing:, so I would have to say that I'm not overly picky when it comes to Italian food. So in summation, I have enjoyed a wide-range of Italian food, from the authentic food that my grandmother made and the delicious food I enjoyed on the Food & Wine tour that I did last summer in Italy to the Olive Garden type Italian restaurant food here in the U.S.
In addition, our family visited Tutto Italia on our last visit to WDW two years ago and only two of the five of us enjoyed our meal (the two that had the lasagna). I vividly remember DS's reaction to his meal ..."This is the worst pizza I've had in my life." (and my family eats a lot of pizza, including frozen :lmao:) So now you probably understand why eating here again was a bad idea on my part. In my defense though, we were on the Dining Plan and I let that influence my decision to give this place another try. The food is highly overpriced here making it a good value on the Dining Plan.

Now on to the review... All 6 of us were present at this meal. After being seated our server brought us a basket of bread and breadsticks along with some dipping sauce that we didn't really like (prefer the similar but much better one that is served at our local Italian restaurant). Unlike the restaurants in Italy though, at least they didn't charge us for this bread :laughing: We were also brought a plate of pickled vegetables which a few of us picked at. Our server took our drink orders and only 2 of us ordered sodas, the rest just had water (which BTW you also get charged for at real Italian restaurants). For our food, two of us had the Penne Caprese (penne pasta with crushed tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, and basil) and both enjoyed it. DD1 commented that this dish was very simple, but good. Two of us (including myself) again had the baked lasagna (same two people that enjoyed it last time, so figured this was a safe bet). Bad assumption. This time we both thought the lasagna was just okay... definitely not as good as we had remembered. DS is not a big fan of Italian food (is he really my child? :scared1:) except for pizza, but surprisingly didn't order the steak here even though they had one listed on the menu. Instead he ordered the grilled pork chop and described it as just okay, nothing special. DH (not on DDP) just ordered the minestrone soup (said it was okay) and ended up eating most of DD2's lasagna since she didn't want it. Okay, so overall our entrees were less than stellar, but I still had high hopes for our desserts. Tutto Italia has some of the highest priced desserts of the Disney restaurants we have been to (dessert prices range from $8 to $14), so I figured that their desserts must be pretty good, right? Wrong, another bad assumption. For our 5 desserts we had two Chocolate Tortas ($11 each), one Chocolate Gelati and one Raspberry Sorbetto (each $8 for a small portion), and I ordered the most expensive dessert, Copetta Sotto Bosco. The description of this dessert (Zabaglione cream gelato, berries, and chocolate sauce) sounded delicious and for $14 I figured it must be like heaven in a dessert dish :cloud9:. Needless to say, I was sadly disappointed. It was not nearly as good as the somewhat similar dessert that I had at San Angel Inn that was just $8. Anyway, that completed our meal except for the coffees that DH and DD1 had with dessert. Now on to our service issues. At the beginning of our meal I explained to our waiter that only 5 of us were on the DDP and would be using credits for our meals. Whatever DH ordered we would instead pay OOP for, but would be using my TIW card for the discount on these items. I showed him my KTTW card (for Dining Plan) and TIW (for OOP expenses) and he nodded to indicate that he understood (or so I thought anyway). After our desserts and coffee (for 2) were served, the server brought one bill to our table which included everything we ordered (including DH's) plus two extra drinks that we didn't have (our bill showed 6 soft drinks when we had actually had only 2 plus 2 coffees). I pointed this out to our server and his reply was, "Oh, don't worry about it because everything on your bill is covered by your Dining Plan." Ummm ... no, not true Mr. Italian Waiter. So I again explained to him what I was doing, and again I thought he understood. He takes the bill and both of my cards (TIW and KTTW) and disappears for a while. When he finally returns he has a manager with him. This guy then tries to tell me that I can not use both my Dining Plan credits and TIW discount on the same meal. And since (according to him) the TIW discount would only be 10% (wrong, should be 20%), it would be better for us to use our Dining Plan credits for the meal. Okay (deep breath taken), I explained for the third time what I wanted to do and added that I had done this at several other restaurants this week. :mad: Manager and waiter then excuse themselves from our table and disappear with our bill and my two cards in hand. :rolleyes1 It's 10:00 by now and I'm really tired. The rest of the group is growing impatient because they want to hit the rides because Epcot had EMH this night. Finally our server returns, by himself this time though, with two bills which were pretty much correct, but no explanation or apology for the confusion. The bill which included the 5 meals covered under the Dining Plan still had 5 soft drinks listed (when we only had 2 plus a coffee) but I was willing to forego the 18% tip on the additional $6 just so we could get this over with. Oh, and in case you were wondering, DH's bill included his minestrone soup and a soft drink (he actually had coffee) and had the 20% TIW discount ;). So we paid our bills and got the heck out of there!

Total Cost covered under Regular Dining Plan - $205.55 or $41.11 per meal credit (Excellent value, if the meal had been good)
18% Tip (paid OOP) - $34.74

OOP cost for DH's soup and coffee not covered by Plan (with 20% TIW discount and 18% tip) - $11.36

Saved $2.34 with TIW

5 meal credits used, 5 more to go!

NOTE: Cost of this meal had we used TIW (20% discount) instead of Dining Plan - $164.44

Next up: Boardwalk Bakery

Great dining reviews! We will be at the Boardwalk in less than 2 weeks. I realize your kids are older, but did you happen to notice if the Boardwalk Bakery had kid's meals or do they order off the regular sandwich menu?
Thanks in advance, Murphy

I realize your kids are older, but did you happen to notice if the Boardwalk Bakery had kid's meals or do they order off the regular sandwich menu?

I can't say with 100% certainty but I don't recall seeing a Kids' menu at Boardwalk Bakery. So I think that if you are using the Dining Plan, you would get a regular meal for a child's dining plan CS credit here. If you are worried about nothing being appealing to kids, I would recommend the Ham & Cheese Panini. This was pretty basic (I think sourdough bread was used) and DS (the pickiest eater of our group) enjoyed it.

DAY 8
Breakfast from Boardwalk Bakery

Highlights: Muffins, Fruit Tarts, Wraps, Paninis, Carrot Cake, Croissant Breakfast Sandwiches

Sadly this was the last day of our trip so this was our last visit to the Boardwalk Bakery. :sad1: Using two of our CS meal credits we got two of the Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Croissant sandwiches plus four drinks...2 chocolate milks and 2 Fuze Peach Mango drinks. These sandwiches were good, just like all the food that we had gotten from the Boardwalk Bakery during our 5 night stay at the BWI.

Total cost covered under the Dining Plan - Approx. $24 (or $12 per CS meal credit)

2 Counter service meal credits used, 10 left

We also used our last two snack credits to get two of our favorite muffins... both chocolate chip this time.

Total cost covered under the Dining Plan - Approx. $5.50 (or $2.75 per snack credit)

2 Snack credits used, none left :sad1:

Next up: Wolfgang Puck Express

DAY 8
Lunch from Wolfgang Puck Express at Downtown Disney (Marketplace)

Highlights: Pizzas, Desserts

Would we Return?: Probably, if using Dining Plan

The first thing that I noticed here is that although there were plenty of choices (far more than the other counter service restaurants), the menu was not nearly as extensive as those that I have seen online for Wolfgang Puck Express. For example, missing was the BBQ chicken quesadilla that 3 of us had wanted to order. We could have possibly overlooked it, since the line to order here was out the door when we went at around noon so we didn't feel like we could take a long time perusing the menu when there were many hungry people standing behind us. Regardless, I am fairly certain that there were several items listed on the online menus that did not appear on the actual menu. Okay, on to the actual review now. The three who had wanted to order the BBQ chicken quesadilla ended up each ordering the BBQ chicken pizza. This is actually not listed on the online menu on this site so here is a description: Flatbread pizza with chicken, mozzarella cheese, red onions, tomatoes, cilantro and BBQ sauce. The other two also ordered pizza, but got the meatball pizza. Besides the meatballs and cheese, I remember there being roasted red peppers on these pizzas (which is not included in the online menu description). Anyway, both of these pizzas were large enough to each feed two people. Only DS came close to finishing his...I think he only left one slice. So had we not been on the Dining Plan we could have easily gotten by with ordering only 3 pizzas for the 5 of us, and at $13 - $14 per pizza could have saved quite a bit of money. Back to the food now...we all really liked our pizzas, as well as our desserts. For our 5 desserts we ordered 3 brownies, 1 frozen yogurt, and I got the creme brulee (which I thought was better than the creme brulee at some of the sit-down restaurants). For our drinks, we got 4 fountain drinks and 1 milk. Although the inside of the restaurant was very crowded we were able to find a table outside and our food was brought to us in a reasonable amount of time by a very friendly server (whom we tipped $1 or $2 pp, can't remember which).

Total cost covered under the Dining Plan - $102.88 or $20.58 per CS meal credit (Excellent value with Dining Plan)

5 Counter service meal credits used, 5 left

Next up: Raglan Road

DAY 8
Dinner at Raglan Road at Downtown Disney (Pleasure Island)

Highlights: Soda bread & dipping sauce, Desserts

Disappointments: Shepherd's Pie

Would We Return?: Maybe (mostly because of the desserts)

This was our third visit to Raglan Road (last was in 2008) and we got to enjoy the Irish band and dancer on both of our previous visits. Sadly this time we had to have an early dinner (5:00) as we had to begin our 18 hour drive home :sad2:. So even though we were seated at a prime table close to the stage where the band performs, we did not get to see them this time as they were not scheduled to begin performing until 8:00 I believe. Our meal began with the server bringing us a basket of Irish Soda bread and dipping sauce that I believe he said was made from honey and Guinness beer. Now I had read many Raglan Road reviews here on the disboards which described this bread as dry and flavorless. In the pictures the soda bread appeared to be small balls like a fritter or some looked like mini-muffins. The soda bread that we were served were thick slices of flavorful bread which were delicious when dipped in the sweet sauce. I was very pleasantly surprised! So perhaps they listened to all the negative things that were said about the soda bread and changed it? :confused3 Okay, now on to our meal. We only had 5 DDP credits remaining so ordered 5 meals. For our 5 drinks we had 3 sodas and 2 coffees with dessert. For our 5 entrees we had 2 of the Shepherd's Pie (shared by 3 people), 2 Fish & Chips, and a Sirloin Steak with an Irish whiskey glaze (served with mashed potatoes). Of the 3 who shared the Shepherd's Pie, only one liked it (she had gotten this on our previous 2 visits to Raglan Road). The other two thought it was flavorless and could only eat it after adding ketchup :laughing: The Fish & Chips were good, however I'd have to say that the fish & chips from the UK counter service place at Epcot were slightly better. The steak was good, but mostly because of the Irish whiskey glaze ;) But now for the best part of our meal...the desserts! We only got 4 desserts here but we had a good variety. We had the always delicious Bread & Butter Pudding, the equally delicious and very choclately Dunbrody Kiss, and two desserts that are not listed on the online menus here. The first was a warm Strawberry and Apple Crumble topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. This was especially enjoyed by DH and DD1 (the rest of us barely got a taste;)) DD2 had fresh fruit for her dessert. But of course it wasn't just plain old fruit, it was drizzled with a yogurt and honey sauce that she said was great. So all 4 desserts were a hit with our group!

Total Cost covered under Regular Dining Plan - $155.45 or $31.09 per meal credit
18% Tip (paid OOP) - $26.27

5 meal credits used, none left

NOTE: Cost of this meal had we used TIW (20% discount) instead of Dining Plan - $124.36

Next up: Earl of Sandwich

DAY 8
Food for the drive home from Earl of Sandwich at Downtown Disney (Marketplace)

Highlights: Sandwiches, desserts

Disappointments: Chaotic Place

Would we Return?: Maybe, if we are not on Dining Plan

So I had greatly over estimated the number of counter service meals that our group would eat these last 5 days. Several times a counter service meal was shared. This resulted in us still having 5 counter service meal credits remaining and it was time for us to head home. So while the rest of the group did a little bit more shopping, DS and I waited in the long line at Earl of Sandwich (at 6:45) in order to use up our remaining meal credits. This place was chaotic...no one seemed to know what they were doing, including the employees. When it was finally our turn to order we got 2 of the Original 1762 sandwiches (roast beef, cheddar cheese, and horseradish sauce), an Earl's Club (roast turkey, smoked bacon, Swiss cheese, lettuce and tomato), a Full Montagu (roast beef and turkey with cheddar and Swiss cheese, romaine lettuce, tomato and Earl's mustard) and a Ham & Swiss cheese sandwich. We picked out 5 desserts ... I believe we got 2 regular rice crispy treats, 2 brownies, and one rice crispy treat that had half of it dipped in chocolate. We told the cashier we would be using Dining Plan credits and he automatically handed us 5 plastic cups (we ended up only using two as that was all the two of us could carry). Since we had just had dinner at Raglan Road, we put the sandwiches in our insulated bag for later. It was only a couple of hours before DH and DS were hungry again and each had one of the Original sandwiches. Both said this sandwich was very good. A little while later DD and I shared the Earl's Club and thought it was pretty good. It would definitely had been better fresh, but even after 3 or 4 hours it was still good. The remaining 2 sandwiches were not eaten by anyone during our 18 hour drive home. I had intended to throw them away when we got home, but got busy with unpacking other things and forgot about the sandwiches. Well, DH did not forget about them...he put them in the fridge at home and then ate them the next day, as he absolutely hates to waste food :eek:. YIKES! Believe it or not he actually didn't even get sick and told me the sandwiches were pretty good, even though they were two days old and been through an 18 hour car ride! Definitely not a wise move on his part, but he lived to tell about it. Anyway, as for the desserts...these were all really good. I especially enjoyed the rice crispy treat. It was nice and soft and marshmallowy and much better than I was expecting for a store bought rice crispy treat, maybe even better than the ones I make at home. I also got to taste one of the brownies and it was very good too.
The prices here are very reasonable (sandwiches were all $5.95 each) which makes Earl of Sandwich a great place to eat OOP but not so great on the Dining Plan (low value per meal credit). For us though it was better to use our credits here then to not use them at all.

Total cost covered under the Dining Plan - $54.05 or $10.81 per CS meal credit (Lowest value with Dining Plan of all our CS meals)

5 Counter service meal credits used, none left

Next up: Cost vs. value analysis for our 5 days on regular Dining Plan

Loved your reviews. Really enjoy pros/cons stuff too. Your adr's are similar to places we ate last November and places I am planning on this November. I am planning adr's for our bouncebacktrip this nov. and am debating between a few restaurants.
What do you think? Traveling with 11y/o and 3 y/o also, No fish, peanut or nut eaters. want to try a few new places
Coral reef, raglan road, chefs de france, le cellier (have not been), narcosses (not sure if it is worth it doing a signature? is it 2 credits).

what 2 would you recommend out of those?
we are staying at beach club/
Thanks so much!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter