our other 2 cats dont seem to miss their brother

Dznypal

DIS Veteran
some of you might remember me as basketcase that posted that we had put our cat Cubbie to sleep on Monday after 18 yrs--he went peacefully and we do feel more at ease that hes at rest although hard as it was

anyways we thought our other 2 cats would miss me or search the house trying to find him or in someways grieve for him

our now oldest Jasmine and him never got along but sat and sun she was nuzzleing him as if to say goodbye--the youngest one Ariel and him were buds- its a good thing they were both fixed or wed have a lot of kittens!!!

they were 2 peas in a pod--they were similar markings cubbie was black and grey striped while Ariel is more gold and brown stripped when they would lay on our bed together they were so close you couldnt tell where one left off and the other one started

sorry to get off the track--I seem to ramble when Im upset and I still miss cubbie a lot and think of him

anyways back to my question does it seem odd that neither cat misses him or because they knew he was so sick sort of put him out of there minds or do animals grieve when one of their friends goes over the rainbow bridge

thanks for listening

some of you might remember me as basketcase that posted that we had put our cat Cubbie to sleep on Monday after 18 yrs--he went peacefully and we do feel more at ease that hes at rest although hard as it was

anyways we thought our other 2 cats would miss me or search the house trying to find him or in someways grieve for him

our now oldest Jasmine and him never got along but sat and sun she was nuzzleing him as if to say goodbye--the youngest one Ariel and him were buds- its a good thing they were both fixed or wed have a lot of kittens!!!

they were 2 peas in a pod--they were similar markings cubbie was black and grey striped while Ariel is more gold and brown stripped when they would lay on our bed together they were so close you couldnt tell where one left off and the other one started

sorry to get off the track--I seem to ramble when Im upset and I still miss cubbie a lot and think of him

anyways back to my question does it seem odd that neither cat misses him or because they knew he was so sick sort of put him out of there minds or do animals grieve when one of their friends goes over the rainbow bridge

thanks for listening

Animals can grieve, but it doesn't mean they have to. The absence is certainly noticed, but reactions to that absence will vary just as they do in people. I don't know a lot about grief in cats, mostly in birds, elephants, primates, and whales. For those animals, the grief tends to be relatively short. They spend a few hours, possibly a day grieving the departed, but then leave the area and move on. It doesn't mean they stop thinking about them (we don't really know), but they do physically leave the scene.

We had sibling cats and the one never did adjust well to being an only. It was really hard on him for a long time. But they're all different. If your cats are adjusting, then just be glad you have one less thing to worry about. I'm sure they're a big comfort as you deal with losing the other. :grouphug:

Not sure about cats. Our Labrador grieved for quite a long time when our westie passed away. It was very sad to watch. Our Yorkie didn't even seem to care.... but they had not been together for years.

Some cats miss each other and others don't. With all the cats we've had over the years - I can only remember 2 that actually showed they missed their friends.

One cat missed her dog friend when she passed away and even slept in her bed for a long time - they were together for 8 years starting when we got the cat as a 12 week old kitten.
The other missed his cat friend for a day or so - walked around meowing for him and laid in his favorite spots - they'd been together for 12 years.

I'm sorry for the loss of your cat.

We had to put our lab to sleep just last Friday. Our younger lab used to bounce and jump at the door waiting for her older, slower friend to join her outside every single time. No matter how bad she had to go she always bounced and waited so that they could go to the pen together. The younger one now doesn't bounce and jump, but she does wait at the door until we firmly and repeatedly tell her to go to her pen. I don't know that she misses her "sister" so much as she is confused about her routine changing. I haven't noticed her, or our third dog, "grieving" in any way. I think they just are noticing the difference in the norm or the routine. I'm honestly glad about this, because I think it would break my heart if they actually grieved because they wouldn't understand why one never came back.

Domestic cats are more social than most felines (excluding African lions) because of selective breeding. But, they are still, primarily, non-social animals. They can get along in groups and might even like each other, but they are not group dependent like dogs and horses are. The loss of one of their number doesn't usually hit them as hard as it does us.

I'm sorry about Cubbie first of all. This is difference but my cat Calvin has a friend in the neighbourhood. I don't know how much they play together but I know Calvin is usually the one who goes to the other cat. They are both indoor/outdoor cats. The white cat is skittish around people but Calvin isn't. When Calvin has had to be kept inside because of different things, the white cat will come to our back deck and look into the house looking for him. Apparently Calvin goes to the white cats house and the owner (I know her) lets him in for them to be together for a while. Then Calvin will ask to be let out and he comes home. I'm not sure if one of them goes over the rainbow bridge they would miss the other but than they might.
tigercat

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter